Computing Theoretical and Experimental Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of theoretical and experimental acceleration. One person shares their method for finding the experimental equation, while the other person shares their approach for calculating theoretical acceleration. The conversation ends with one person thanking the other for their help and expertise.
kukumaluboy

Homework Statement

How do i compute theoretical acceleration and experimental acceleration?

xW1il.png

6uDL1kE.png

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first sets of data, the experimental equation, i first averaged the timings.
Then i used:
s = ut + 0.5at^2, where u=0
0.7 = 0.5*a(2.11seconds)^2
a = 0.3144 m/s^2

but for theoretical acceleration, this is what i did.

m1 * g - T = m1 * a (eq 1)

T = m2 * a (eq 2)

Sub 2 into 1:
m1g - m2a = m1 * a
m1g = m1a + m2a
m1 g = a(m1+m2)
a = m1g/(m1+m2)
a = (0.307*9.81) / (0.307+0.011) = 9.47m/s

Where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which of the two masses 'feels' g ?

Likes 1 person
OMG!. YOU da mvp! Thanks!

1. What is the Newt 2nd Law experiment problem?

The Newt 2nd Law experiment problem refers to a scenario in which an object is moving on a frictionless surface and is acted upon by a net external force. This problem is used to demonstrate and understand Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is the Newt 2nd Law experiment problem set up?

The experiment typically involves placing an object, such as a wooden block, on a horizontal surface with no friction. A pulley system is used to attach a mass to the object, creating a net external force. By measuring the acceleration of the object, the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration can be observed.

3. What are the variables involved in the Newt 2nd Law experiment problem?

There are three main variables in this experiment: force, mass, and acceleration. The force is the net external force acting on the object, the mass is the amount of matter in the object, and the acceleration is the rate at which the object's velocity changes.

4. How does the Newt 2nd Law experiment problem relate to real-world situations?

The Newt 2nd Law experiment problem is a simplified version of real-world situations, such as an object being pushed or pulled on a surface with minimal friction. By understanding the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, we can better understand and predict the motion of objects in our everyday lives.

5. What are some possible sources of error in the Newt 2nd Law experiment problem?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment include friction on the surface, inaccuracies in measuring the mass and acceleration, and the pulley system not being completely frictionless. It is important to minimize these sources of error in order to obtain accurate results and observe the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.