'Nature of the chemical bond' By L.Pauling

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good chemistry book, specifically "Nature of the Chemical Bond" by L.Pauling. While the first two books by Phillip C Matthews were found to be better than expected, the second book was not as easily accessible and there was limited information on its content. The speaker then mentions owning a slightly abridged version of the book, which they found to be excellent and more readable than the original. However, it is also mentioned that this book is harder to find.
Bladibla
I recently scoured through Amazon to find a somewhat decent chemistry book, and these are the list of books I am interested in at the moment:

Advanced chemistry 1,2 by Phillip C Matthews of Trinity college Dublin
Nature of the chemical bond by l.Pauling

I got the first 2 books by matthews, and are better than i expected. However the second book, while scouring through libraries to look for it ending in failure, i have only heard superficial 'popularity' rather than much detail on its content.

So my question is: Does anyone have this book by L.Pauling? And to you, is it good or bad or 'decent'?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have "The Chemical Bond" by Pauling; Cornell University Press, 1967, which is simply a slightly abridged version of the classic work cited by you. This is an excellent book, and much more readable (and less daunting) than the original (which I have looked at in the library).

But this book is much harder to find than the original. I was fortunate enough to buy it at a used book sale for $0.25 !

This book is considered a classic in the field of chemistry and has been cited as a groundbreaking work in understanding the nature of chemical bonds. It was first published in 1939 by Linus Pauling, a renowned chemist and two-time Nobel Prize winner. In this book, Pauling presents his concept of the chemical bond, which explains how atoms are held together to form molecules.

The book covers topics such as atomic structure, quantum mechanics, and molecular structure, providing a comprehensive understanding of the chemical bond. It also delves into the different types of bonds, such as ionic, covalent, and metallic bonds, and their properties and characteristics.

Many chemists and scientists consider this book to be a must-read for anyone interested in chemistry, as it presents a fundamental understanding of the building blocks of matter. It has been praised for its clear and concise explanations and has been used as a textbook in many chemistry courses.

Overall, "Nature of the Chemical Bond" by L. Pauling is highly recommended for anyone looking to deepen their understanding of chemical bonds and their role in the world of chemistry.

1. What is the 'Nature of the chemical bond'?

The 'Nature of the chemical bond' is a book written by Nobel Prize-winning scientist Linus Pauling in 1939. It is a groundbreaking work in the field of chemistry that explores the nature of chemical bonds, the forces that hold atoms together to form molecules, and their properties.

2. What is the significance of Pauling's 'Nature of the chemical bond'?

Pauling's 'Nature of the chemical bond' is considered a landmark in the history of chemistry and is still widely regarded as one of the most influential books in the field. It provided a comprehensive understanding of chemical bonding, paving the way for further research and advancements in chemistry.

3. What theories and concepts are discussed in 'Nature of the chemical bond'?

In this book, Pauling discusses various theories and concepts related to chemical bonding, including the valence bond theory, molecular orbital theory, hybridization, electronegativity, and the nature of atomic and molecular structures.

4. How did Pauling's book impact the study of chemistry?

Pauling's 'Nature of the chemical bond' revolutionized the study of chemistry by providing a new and more comprehensive understanding of chemical bonding. It influenced further research and advancements in the field, and many concepts and theories presented in the book are still used in modern chemistry.

5. Is 'Nature of the chemical bond' still relevant today?

Despite being published over 80 years ago, 'Nature of the chemical bond' is still considered a fundamental and relevant work in the field of chemistry. Many of the concepts and theories presented in the book are still applied in modern research and have stood the test of time.