Undergraduate Education: MIT Wins

In summary, the protagonist decided to switch to MIT after a financial crisis led him to doubt his decision to attend Ohio University. He is glad that things turned out well in the end.
OmicronTrav
A month or so ago I started a thread on this board about a little dilemma I faced between an undergraduate edcuation at Ohio University or MIT. At the time, it looked like the finance issue would be an impossible obstacle and so I was set on OU. However, in the past few weeks things changed dramatically and I am now officially signed up for MIT. Just wanted to post the final conclusion of the story on the board for anyone interested. Thanks again; things turned out pretty freakin' well.

OmicronTrav

Physics news on Phys.org
congrats man

Good job, have fun over there :)

If luck wins over, I'll meet you over there in two years, sigh.

congratulations. MIT is one of the most excellenmt universities in the world. try to take something from mike artin if he is still there, or david vogan if he is there, or arthur mattuck.

check out the best teachers with the current students, but i recommend mike artin, arthur mattuck, david vogan, and probably george lustzig, and victor kac, and johan dejong, although I do not know them personally.

Arthur Mattuck has his differential equation lectures online. Talk about an amazing professor! I would have killed to have him as my professor for probably ANY math class :)

You're lucky man. That's awesome!

Congratulations. Your going to get one hell of an education.

Congratulations!

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to do your graduate studies in the UK :wink: :tongue:

As one who did their undergraduate work at OU, I can say that it's certain that you'll get a world class education at MIT, but you're going to miss one hell of a good time at OU.

Congratulations~!

i've heard good things about artin and mattuck, and i took modern algebra with kac, who was great. however, I've heard not-so-great things about lustzig...

but congrats!

OmicronTrav said:
A month or so ago I started a thread on this board about a little dilemma I faced between an undergraduate edcuation at Ohio University or MIT. At the time, it looked like the finance issue would be an impossible obstacle and so I was set on OU. However, in the past few weeks things changed dramatically and I am now officially signed up for MIT. Just wanted to post the final conclusion of the story on the board for anyone interested. Thanks again; things turned out pretty freakin' well.

OmicronTrav

Let me guess? Financial aid? I hope you're doing well.

Congratulations! You should drop me a line if you get the chance.

Alright! Congratz man! I would love to go to MIT, maybe for graduate study...

congrats...MIT is a great place

Yeah, congrats mate :smile:

Wow! MIT ! Congratulation !

1. What makes MIT's undergraduate education stand out?

MIT's undergraduate education is known for its rigorous academic curriculum, hands-on learning opportunities, and emphasis on innovation and problem-solving skills. The school also has a strong focus on collaboration and encourages students to work together on projects and research.

2. How does MIT prepare students for their future careers?

MIT offers a diverse range of majors and minors, as well as opportunities for interdisciplinary studies, which allow students to tailor their education to their career goals. The school also has a strong network of alumni and industry partners, providing students with valuable connections and opportunities for internships and job placements.

3. Is it difficult to get into MIT's undergraduate program?

Yes, MIT has a highly competitive admissions process. The school looks for students who have excelled academically, shown a passion for learning, and demonstrated leadership and innovation in their extracurricular activities.

4. What is the student experience like at MIT?

The student experience at MIT is unique and dynamic. Students are challenged academically, but also have access to a wide range of clubs, organizations, and events to explore their interests and passions. The school also has a strong sense of community, with students often collaborating and supporting each other in their academic and personal pursuits.

5. Can students at MIT get involved in research?

Yes, research is a core part of the undergraduate experience at MIT. Students have the opportunity to work with world-renowned faculty on cutting-edge research projects, and many undergraduates are published authors and co-authors on research papers. MIT also offers funding and resources for students to pursue their own research interests.