How to Solve the Double Posting Problem on Online Forums?

• Thread starter who_
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue where posts are being sent twice, even though the user only clicks once. The problem has not been seen before, and it is unclear what is causing it. The user is using Chromium on Debian 6 and wonders if it could be due to their slow internet connection. The system has a safeguard for double posting, but it may not always work. The user is also unsure of how to delete posts in the forum. Other users suggest using the "Report" button or the "delete post" button on the edit post screen. There is also a discussion about the difference between deleting a thread and a post.
who_
Recently, many of my posts are being sent twice. Meaning, every time I click post, my post gets posted twice. Is anyone else having this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
who_ said:
Recently, many of my posts are being sent twice. Meaning, every time I click post, my post gets posted twice. Is anyone else having this problem?

I've never seen it and don't even remember anyone ever having posted that problem (but I could be wrong).

Are you having double-click problems in any other applications? What browser are you using?

I'm using Chromium on Debian 6. Perhaps I am double clicking sometimes - does that actually cause the post to appear twice?

who_ said:
I'm using Chromium on Debian 6. Perhaps I am double clicking sometimes - does that actually cause the post to appear twice?

It shouldn't. I'm hoping one of the forum gurus will jump in here.

The system does have a safeguard for double posting built in, but there could be an instance where the AJAX confirmation is slow and it ends up sending twice. Does it happen in a different browser?

Hmm, in that case, could it be my relatively slow internet connection?

who_ said:

Do you literally mean "every time" or just "enough times to be annoying"?

For example did you get 3 double posts in this thread and delete each of the duplicates?

Well, not every time; but it happens frequently, and I actually don't know how to delete posts in PF.

who_ said:
Well, not every time; but it happens frequently, and I actually don't know how to delete posts in PF.

Actually, you can't, unfortunately.

Anyway, this is confusing. I sometimes accidentally double post, but that's because the Kindle's browser is complete rubbish.

Whovian said:
Actually, you can't, unfortunately.
Go into "edit post", and somehere at the bottom of the page there is a "delete post" button, plus a field where you can say why you deleted it.

AFAIK The post doesn't actually get deleted, it's just hidden from everybody except the admins.

who_ said:

Click the "Report" button on the post, and ask the Mentors to delete it.

AlephZero said:
Go into "edit post", and somehere at the bottom of the page there is a "delete post" button, plus a field where you can say why you deleted it.

AFAIK The post doesn't actually get deleted, it's just hidden from everybody except the admins.

I don't think regular users see that button. Probably just Science Advisors and Mentors?

I'm a regular user and I can see the delete button on the edit post screen.

jedishrfu said:
I'm a regular user and I can see the delete button on the edit post screen.

Interesting. So maybe that button is there as long as the Edit timeout hasn't expired yet. Thanks.

I think it has to do with the difference between a thread and a post. If you posted a new thread, then you can't delete it. If you merely replied to a thread, then you can delete it if you want.

I think it has to do with the difference between a thread and a post. If you posted a new thread, then you can't delete it. If you merely replied to a thread, then you can delete it if you want.

That is my experience here.

1. What is the "Double Posting Problem"?

The "Double Posting Problem" refers to the issue of a user unintentionally submitting the same post or comment multiple times on a website or forum.

2. Why does the "Double Posting Problem" occur?

The "Double Posting Problem" can occur due to various reasons, such as a slow internet connection, technical glitches, or user error (e.g. clicking the submit button multiple times).

3. How does the "Double Posting Problem" affect website/forum performance?

The "Double Posting Problem" can cause clutter and duplicate content on the website or forum, leading to a decrease in user experience and potentially affecting website/forum performance.

4. What can be done to prevent the "Double Posting Problem"?

To prevent the "Double Posting Problem," website and forum developers can implement measures such as disabling the submit button after it is clicked or using CAPTCHA to ensure the user is not a bot. Users can also double-check their posts before submitting and avoid clicking the submit button multiple times.

5. How can the "Double Posting Problem" be resolved?

If a user has unintentionally double-posted, they can delete the duplicate post or contact the website/forum administrator for assistance. Additionally, developers can implement features such as automatic post merging to resolve the issue.