What is the probability of life in Universe?

In summary, most scientists believe that there is a high probability of life on other planets in the universe, but it is still very difficult to find evidence of it.
Viva-Diva
Hello to all scientists here,

I am not a physicist and am new to the forum.

Considering the Universe is so huge, isn't the probability of having life on other planets in the universe equally high?

Please share your opinion.

Thanks to all in advance,
Viva-Diva

Space news on Phys.org
at least 99.999 % if you consider the entire observable universe (just an informal guess).

but we still might be the only life in our GALAXY, at least that has evolved to the point of being able to measure the speed of light and imagine inhabiting other planetary systems and stuff like that.

there are billions of galaxies, and each galaxy contains billions of stars (actually more in both cases, like hundreds of billions, but not to be overprecise)

so if life is extremely rare for some reason we don't understand, then it's conceivable that Earth might be the only planet with life in the Milkyway galaxy. (I can hardly see how life could be so rare, but let's pretend we are alone in the galaxy).

even then, you still have all those billions of other galaxies. but we may never interact with life in other galaxies because they are so far away. in some sense it seems almost not to matter.

what seems to matter to me is what other life and what other civilizations are there in the Milkyway. they are the ones we might someday (if they exist) talk with or learn about

======================
Viva, I almost wish you had asked a slightly different question (which would be a LOT harder to answer) namely
what do you estimate is the probablility of other life in the Milkyway galaxy?

for the universe as a whole, it is almost certainly 100 percent. it isn't even an interesting question, as I see it.

but if you just ask about other life in Milkyway, how prevalent is it? does it exist at all? if it exists are we talking like 5 other civilizations in the whole galaxy, or hundreds? because at this level, the level of galaxy, how you answer is constrained by the socalled Fermi question---this puts some nittygritty meaning into it and gives some traction to the mind. then you can't just say anything that comes into your head.

Last edited:
This is known as the drake equation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation, basically the number of stars * the probablility that the star could have life on planets around it.

I agree with marcus: it is far more interesting to try and find out if life exists in our galaxy since we may, at some point in the future, be able to contact them.

The study of exoplanets (planets outside our own solar system) is somewhat of a new field of research, and one that there are a growing number of astronomers turning their expertise to. We are discovering more exoplanets within the Milky Way each month. In fact, I remember a talk I went to a couple of months ago where a project called DARWIN was mentioned. This is scheduled to start in the next decade and, I think, is something to do with what used to be called PPARC (the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council) here in the UK. The aim of this mission is to try and seek out earth-like planets orbiting nearby stars.

All in all, it's an exciting period for astronomy/cosmology at the moment.

Last edited:
The vast majority of scientists would concede the probability of extraterrestrial life is 100% in the universe at large, and probably 90% that some form of life existed on Mars at some point in the past. Intelligient life is, however, a sticky wicket. It takes a very long time to arise and requires improbable events. Placing odds on these events is very difficult. I would guess it is very probable we are the only technologically accomplished species in this galaxy at this time. Civilization, as we know it, has only existed on Earth for a handful of thousands of years. And civilizations capable of extraterrestrial communication has only existed here for about 50 years. This is an incredibly tiny slice of time in the life of a galaxy [or universe]. Furthermore, the window to detect our EM emissions by accident could easily close within the next 100 years. Assigning only slightly pessimistic values to the Drake equation yields a value of less than one comparably accomplished civilization to any given galaxy in the universe at such a tiny slice of time. The background noise of the universe yields long odds that any of them are detectable to us.

Thank you all for your views and nice links that you all directed me to.

But Chronos, why did creation of Universe make a lot of people angry?:-)

Personally i would think there is a 99.9% probability of life on another planet. I am assuming life has to have the right conditions and the right timing but so many chances in the universe you would think there would be more than one.

The possibility and near reality perhaps of detecting an oxygen signature of atmosphere of terrestrial exoplanets is quite amazing. The following is excerpt of previous post in astronomy:
How far away from Earth might the oxygen signature of our atmosphere be spectographically detectable? The flip side is how far away might an exo-terrestrial planet's atmospheric oxygen signature be detectable? For example,Gliese 581 c,d are larger (5-7x earth) terrestrial planets at 20 lyrs distance.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_c Hence a fast and easy extensive way of surveying for surface life; thus for our planet, over 2 billion years of significant oxygen signature exposure.

If there is intelligent life in our Galaxy, how could we communicate considering the distances likely to be involved ?? it could be a one sided communication

Dan Tee said:
If there is intelligent life in our Galaxy, how could we communicate considering the distances likely to be involved ?? it could be a one sided communication

one sided sounds good to me.

When I read Jonathan Swift book Gulliver's Travels, he is communicating oneway to me. from back around 1700s.
I'm happy, you have problems with it?

If there is other intelligent life in our Galaxy, I hope they thought to radio us a copy of their equivalent of Wikipedia, or the Encyclopedia Britannica. If they did, and we get it in a few thousand years, we'll have a ball with it. :biggrin:
Onewayness not withstanding!

Last edited:
Interesting, I'd never thought about 'one-way' communication with ET's like this before. I guess the issue is that it's quite an investment in time and money to send the signal out if you have no idea where to send it or whether there is anyone to listen.

At least in writing a novel you know that people do read novels, and indeed that people exist!

I believe (though correct me if I'm wrong) that the sensitivity of SETI programs on Earth would not pick up the kind of signals that Earth sends out (TV, radio etc) if these signals where sent from even the closest stars to us. So for instance, ET could be watching telly on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri and we wouldn't pick it up with SETI.

We don't actively send out high powered signals into space to try and send info to ET (though this has been done for small periods of time in the past) even though we do spend a fair bit of time listening. What if all the civilisations in the galaxy are waiting for the call, but no one has tried dialing yet, kind of like a post first date phone stand off :wink:

marcus said:
one sided sounds good to me.

When I read Jonathan Swift book Gulliver's Travels, he is communicating oneway to me. from back around 1700s.
I'm happy, you have problems with it?

No, I do not have a problem with one way it is the only way for those distances and if we could actually communicate we would probably only argue. I do like your analogy to a novel, perhaps they would send a comprehensive history of themselves and a few usefull tips say some does and don’ts. :approve:

Re comments by Wallace concerning SETI, can I ask "Does SETI only pick up certain types of signal??"

Perhaps the huge distances that we are faced with are Natures way of keeping us out of trouble

SETI limits detection modes to the most probable wavelengths - like the neutral hydrogen 21 cm band. Other modes are less attractive because of detectability limits. We make the fairly reasonable assumption ET is aware of these limits.

Viva-Diva said:
Thank you all for your views and nice links that you all directed me to.

But Chronos, why did creation of Universe make a lot of people angry?:-)

I think it's just a quote that he finds amusing/interesting..But I can not answer for him just what my logic tells me.

From Restaurant at the end of the Universe ( 3rd hitch hikers book)

"The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move"

mgb has me cornered. It is ironic humor. Douglas Adams is very good at this sort of thing. I loved the part where the cosmic octopus revealed the secret to the TOE - 42. Hard to argue with that kind of logic. The Drake equation is a very logical approach to estimating the abundance of life in the universe. The sun is a very common type of star [small, dim, invariant output, and long lived], planets are the rule, not exception, and planets occupying 'goldilocks' orbits are assuredly abundant throughout this galaxy and the universe. So the probability of ET life forms within the milky way is virtually 100%, and nearly 100% life forms do, or did, exist on other bodies within our own solar system.

The probability of intelligent [as in technologically capable of communicating with us] life forms has a very poor probability of existing. The chances of it having existed elsewhere at any time during the lifetime of our solar system is virtually zero. Our ability to even calculate the probability of it existing anywhere else in our galaxy is also close to zero. The fact the skies are not abounding with signals from alien civilizations - priceless. Fermi raised a very good argument. Not only do we lack irrefutable physical evidence of their visits to earth, we also lack radio evidence they exist. Granted detection of an alien TV station is a shot in the dark, we most certainly have the technology to detect such broadcasts emanating from anywhere in the galaxy, if our big 'ears' were pointed in the right direction. Obviously it will take centuries to scan the entire sky, but the evidence is clear. Civilizations like our own a rare. Statistically speaking, no more than five like our own currently exist within this galaxy. The absence of signals also has statistical significance and this the pure number crunching result.

Chronos said:
mgb has me cornered. It is ironic humor. Douglas Adams is very good at this sort of thing. I loved the part where the cosmic octopus revealed the secret to the TOE - 42. Hard to argue with that kind of logic. The Drake equation is a very logical approach to estimating the abundance of life in the universe. The sun is a very common type of star [small, dim, invariant output, and long lived], planets are the rule, not exception, and planets occupying 'goldilocks' orbits are assuredly abundant throughout this galaxy and the universe. So the probability of ET life forms within the milky way is virtually 100%, and nearly 100% life forms do, or did, exist on other bodies within our own solar system.
The probability of intelligent [as in technologically capable of communicating with us] life forms has a very poor probability of existing. The chances of it having existed elsewhere at any time during the lifetime of our solar system is virtually zero. Our ability to even calculate the probability of it existing anywhere else in our galaxy is also close to zero. The fact the skies are not abounding with signals from alien civilizations - priceless. Fermi raised an excellent argument. Not only do we lack irrefutable physical evidence of alien visitors, we also lack radio evidence. Granted detection of an alien broadcast is a shot in the dark. But, we have the technology to detect such broadcasts emanating from almost anywhere in this galaxy - if our big 'ears' are pointed in the right direction. Obviously it will take centuries to scan the entire sky, but the evidence so far is clear. Civiliations technologically equivalent to our own are rare. Statistically speaking, no more than five such civiliations are likely to currently exist within this galaxy, and zero is still not excluded.[/QUOTE]

Chronos said:
The probability of intelligent [as in technologically capable of communicating with us] life forms has a very poor probability of existing. The chances of it having existed elsewhere at any time during the lifetime of our solar system is virtually zero. Our ability to even calculate the probability of it existing anywhere else in our galaxy is also close to zero. The fact the skies are not abounding with signals from alien civilizations - priceless. Fermi raised an excellent argument. Not only do we lack irrefutable physical evidence of alien visitors, we also lack radio evidence. Granted detection of an alien broadcast is a shot in the dark. But, we have the technology to detect such broadcasts emanating from almost anywhere in this galaxy - if our big 'ears' are pointed in the right direction. Obviously it will take centuries to scan the entire sky, but the evidence so far is clear. Civiliations technologically equivalent to our own are rare. Statistically speaking, no more than five such civiliations are likely to currently exist within this galaxy, and zero is still not excluded.
[/QUOTE]

The stats are fine but if we're looking for radio signals we might be looking for the wrong thing. There's more than one way to send a signal... many of which we have not thought of, no doubt.

Its particularly heartening to hear that we have turned our search for exoplanets into our own galaxy. I wondered if that was happening.

Chronos said:
The probability of intelligent [as in technologically capable of communicating with us] life forms has a very poor probability of existing. The chances of it having existed elsewhere at any time during the lifetime of our solar system is virtually zero. Our ability to even calculate the probability of it existing anywhere else in our galaxy is also close to zero. The fact the skies are not abounding with signals from alien civilizations - priceless. Fermi raised a very good argument. Not only do we lack irrefutable physical evidence of their visits to earth, we also lack radio evidence they exist. Granted detection of an alien TV station is a shot in the dark, we most certainly have the technology to detect such broadcasts emanating from anywhere in the galaxy, if our big 'ears' were pointed in the right direction. Obviously it will take centuries to scan the entire sky, but the evidence is clear. Civilizations like our own a rare. Statistically speaking, no more than five like our own currently exist within this galaxy. The absence of signals also has statistical significance and this the pure number crunching result.

Hi Chronos,

Do we actually have the technology to detect alien TV signals from anywhere in the galaxy, and have we made any attempt to do so? I am hoping you have more information on SETI than they provide on their website, which seems pretty meager. I have been unable to find how many stars they have looked at, for how long or at what frequencies. They did mention one study of 100 nearby stars. It is my impression that they are concentrating on the frequency of neutral hydrogen, which earthlings are not allowed to broadcast on. If aliens think like us, then they are listening to the same frequency and not broadcasting on it either :)

I have been unable to determine whether we actually have made an attempt to listen to normal broadcast channels, or if we are capable of hearing anything broadcast on those channels beyond our neighborhood. Certainly if we are restricted in the bandwidth we listen to and have covered only a small number of stars, it seems premature to conclude that intelligent life is rare or nonexistent. Sagan did not seem to think so, and he was involved with SETI. It would be great to have some additional factual information!

Chronos said:

Where do i begn? first, as others have stated, other civilizations might use different EM waves for the same purpose. Second, since all EM waves travel at the speed of light, they might simply be too far to reach us yet. Third, EM waves can be disrupted by large amounts of physical matter, or by extremely large gravity wells, such as black holes. I will give you one point. Civilizations like our own are rare. But you didn't specify the technology, which is why i agreed with you on that point. A civilizations technology could be high enough to go faster than the speed of light(just exaggerating for the purpose), yet have a completely, no joke intended, alien civilization. One other thing. By 'communication', do you mean they would be able to understand us, or anything we do? Or do you mean contact us, regardless of if we undersand it? Because, if you mean the second one, a civilization could have already threatened us to put down our arms, or be killed, we just might not have noticed. If it's the first one, then the chances are, litterally, next to none. An alien species might not even notice us, or we them.

Finding intelligent life would only be slightly more exciting for me than simple life. Just a few replicating bacterial type lifeforms would be absolutely magnificent!

Our solar system seems quite promising for simple ET lifeforms.

The probability of life in the universe is exactly 1

The probability of life in the universe is exactly 1.

I will not bore you with the proof (but it is a fact recognized by all fields of science).

I think that that is the best place to start any analysis. For purposes of creative and critical thinking, we should re-frame the question as what is the probability that life formed only on 1 planet and no others?

robertm said:
Finding intelligent life would only be slightly more exciting for me than simple life. Just a few replicating bacterial type lifeforms would be absolutely magnificent!

Our solar system seems quite promising for simple ET lifeforms.

I agree. It would be a monumental event to verify living organisms on a planet other than our own. I'd say there's a 100% probability of life in the rest of this galaxy.

What are the chances of using spectrometry to determine if there is life on one of the earthlike exoplanets being observed these days?

one of the Gliese red dwarfs has a planet in its goldy locks zone, regretably its not a transit planet and its 20 light years away I think in Libra. One planet is very close.. like a venus, one is on the outer edge of the zone and there is debate about wether its tidaly locked or not. I wish someone would build an efficient anti matter generator and engine to launch a few probes soon! Would be nice to live long enough to have some answers would it not?

Our lack of understanding about abiogenesis kind of renders this line of questioning moot. While there are most certainly plenty of other 'Earth's' out there capable of harboring carbon-based life, it is rather unclear at present how organic life evolved from inorganic molecules (don't get me wrong -- there have been tons of very interesting advancements in this theory over the past several years). Even if we developed a theory of how the replicators (RNA and DNA) came to be, the follow-on question of whether or not intelligent life would evolve is far from obvious. The emergence of intelligent life on Earth apparently resulted from several contingencies (had the dinosaurs not been killed of 65 mya, it's unlikely that mankind would have evolved), and so it's hard to say just how generic any of it is.

Of course, the zeroth order question is: are there more Earth's in the universe/galaxy?
But the harder, 1st order question is more like: given another planet identical to ours in every way, would life inevitably evolve, and if so, would it eventually become intelligent?

The only purely honest answer is: unknown.

IcedEcliptic said:
The only purely honest answer is: unknown.

I agree completely. The Drake equation is pretty meaningless, since we have no idea of the magnitude of most of the coefficients. At this point in our history, the only logical path is to just keep gathering data.

Likes TEFLing
Well said bapowell,

Right now it seems rare Earth hypothesis might have the edge at least when related to intelligent life. However that may simply be because we lack abilities to detect rocky planets around sun like stars.. who knows.

Here's some thoughts from Stephen Hawking with regard to the topic...

We are used to thinking of intelligent life, as an inevitable consequence of evolution, Hawking emphasized, but it is more likely that evolution is a random process, with intelligence as only one of a large number of possible outcomes.

Intelligence, Hawking believes contrary to our human-centric existece, may not have any long-term survival value. In comparison the microbial world, will live on, even if all other life on Earth is wiped out by our actions. Hawking's main insight is that intelligence was an unlikely development for life on Earth, from the chronology of evolution: "It took a very long time, two and a half billion years, to go from single cells to multi-cell beings, which are a necessary precursor to intelligence. This is a good fraction of the total time available, before the Sun blows up. So it would be consistent with the hypothesis, that the probability for life to develop intelligence, is low. In this case, we might expect to find many other life forms in the galaxy, but we are unlikely to find intelligent life."

Another possibility is that there is a reasonable probability for life to form, and to evolve to intelligent beings, but at some point in their technological development "the system becomes unstable, and the intelligent life destroys itself. This would be a very pessimistic conclusion. I very much hope it isn't true."

Hawkling prefers another possibility: that there are other forms of intelligent life out there, but that we have been overlooked. If we should pick up signals from alien civilizations, Hawking warns,"we should have be wary of answering back, until we have evolved" a bit further. Meeting a more advanced civilization, at our present stage,' Hawking says "might be a bit like the original inhabitants of America meeting Columbus. I don't think they were better off for it."

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/07/-stephen-hawking-why-is-the-milky-way-not-crawling-with-selfdesigning-mechanical-or-biological-life.html

Personally i don't think we are the most evolved creature in Milky Way. According to wiki there are at least 200 billion stars in Milky Way alone, so what are the chance of Sun/Earth being the most habitable solar system? 200,000,000,000:1?

We are very lucky that Earth is in goldilock zone, but I'm sure there are plenty of planets in goldilock zone, n many of em are probably older and/or have better condition for evolution compared to Earth.

Last edited:
Chaballa said:
Personally i don't think we are the most evolved creature in Milky Way. According to wiki there are at least 200 billion stars in Milky Way alone, so what are the chance of Sun/Earth being the most habitable solar system? 200,000,000,000:1?

We are very lucky that Earth is in goldilock zone, but I'm sure there are plenty of planets in goldilock zone, n many of em are probably older and/or have better condition for evolution compared to Earth.
It's not about most habitable, or about conditions for evolution. At least, it deosn't start there.

It's about life spontaneously springing from non-life.

baywax said:
I agree. It would be a monumental event to verify living organisms on a planet other than our own. I'd say there's a 100% probability of life in the rest of this galaxy.

What are the chances of using spectrometry to determine if there is life on one of the earthlike exoplanets being observed these days?

You are agreeing with an opinion that is 2+ years old. :-)

Found attached link and remember seeing this thread and not seeing it previously cited.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/wcearth.html#c2"

It is interesting all the variables which have to be just right for life to exist. But this site is based carbon base lifeforms.

It is my hypothesis that there could be other chemical based lifeforms which we have not discovered yet. My definition of life is it has a beginning and end and in between those endpoints: it consumes resources, produce waste, and reproduce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gannet said:
Found attached link and remember seeing this thread and not seeing it previously cited.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/wcearth.html#c2"

It is interesting all the variables which have to be just right for life to exist. But this site is based carbon base lifeforms.

It is my hypothesis that there could be other chemical based lifeforms which we have not discovered yet. My definition of life is it has a beginning and end and in between those endpoints: it consumes resources, produce waste, and reproduce.
Yes, there is a possibility that there is some life that is non-carbon-based. Hoever, you will likely have to wade hip-deep in planets with carbon-based lifeforms before finding one that is otherwise.

Think of it this way:

We're sayin' I wonder if this 100-acre wood has any 3-leaf clover in it...
And you're saying Why concentrate on only 3-leaf clover, there's surely some 4-leaf clover out there too, let's throw a wider net.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 1 since there is life on Earth.

<h2>What is the probability of life in the Universe?</h2><p>The probability of life in the Universe is a complex and highly debated topic among scientists. While we cannot definitively answer this question, there are a few factors that we consider when discussing the probability of life in the Universe.</p><h2>What is the Drake Equation and how does it relate to the probability of life in the Universe?</h2><p>The Drake Equation is a mathematical formula that attempts to estimate the number of civilizations in our galaxy that could potentially communicate with us. It takes into account factors such as the number of stars in our galaxy, the percentage of those stars that have planets, and the likelihood of those planets being able to support life. While the Drake Equation is not a definitive answer to the probability of life in the Universe, it helps us think about the various factors that could influence the existence of life.</p><h2>What is the Fermi Paradox and how does it relate to the probability of life in the Universe?</h2><p>The Fermi Paradox is the apparent contradiction between the high probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations and the lack of evidence for their existence. This paradox raises questions about the probability of life in the Universe and why we have not yet made contact with other intelligent beings. Some possible explanations for the Fermi Paradox include the vastness of space and the limitations of our technology.</p><h2>What are some factors that could influence the probability of life in the Universe?</h2><p>There are several factors that scientists consider when discussing the probability of life in the Universe. These include the presence of liquid water, the composition of a planet's atmosphere, the distance from its star, and the presence of organic molecules. Additionally, the age and stability of a star system may also play a role in the likelihood of life.</p><h2>Is there any evidence of life in the Universe?</h2><p>While we have not yet found definitive evidence of extraterrestrial life, there have been several promising discoveries that suggest the possibility of life in the Universe. These include the presence of water on other planets and moons, the discovery of organic molecules in space, and the potential for microbial life on other planets in our own solar system. However, further research and exploration are needed to confirm the existence of life beyond Earth.</p>

What is the probability of life in the Universe?

The probability of life in the Universe is a complex and highly debated topic among scientists. While we cannot definitively answer this question, there are a few factors that we consider when discussing the probability of life in the Universe.

What is the Drake Equation and how does it relate to the probability of life in the Universe?

The Drake Equation is a mathematical formula that attempts to estimate the number of civilizations in our galaxy that could potentially communicate with us. It takes into account factors such as the number of stars in our galaxy, the percentage of those stars that have planets, and the likelihood of those planets being able to support life. While the Drake Equation is not a definitive answer to the probability of life in the Universe, it helps us think about the various factors that could influence the existence of life.

What is the Fermi Paradox and how does it relate to the probability of life in the Universe?

The Fermi Paradox is the apparent contradiction between the high probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations and the lack of evidence for their existence. This paradox raises questions about the probability of life in the Universe and why we have not yet made contact with other intelligent beings. Some possible explanations for the Fermi Paradox include the vastness of space and the limitations of our technology.

What are some factors that could influence the probability of life in the Universe?

There are several factors that scientists consider when discussing the probability of life in the Universe. These include the presence of liquid water, the composition of a planet's atmosphere, the distance from its star, and the presence of organic molecules. Additionally, the age and stability of a star system may also play a role in the likelihood of life.

Is there any evidence of life in the Universe?

While we have not yet found definitive evidence of extraterrestrial life, there have been several promising discoveries that suggest the possibility of life in the Universe. These include the presence of water on other planets and moons, the discovery of organic molecules in space, and the potential for microbial life on other planets in our own solar system. However, further research and exploration are needed to confirm the existence of life beyond Earth.