Hello Guys,I want to know what is the criteria to enter

In summary, the conversation discusses the criteria for admission into MIT, including the importance of having a strong academic record and extracurricular activities, as well as the misconception that being a legacy or having a high income increases chances of admission. The conversation also mentions the diversity of the student body at MIT and the difficulty of getting accepted into the university due to the large number of applicants. The conversation also touches on the importance of passion and self-study at MIT. A student from India also expresses interest in attending MIT and asks for advice on how to increase their chances of admission. Some advice is given, including focusing on standardized test scores, GPA, and extracurricular activities, as well as considering other options if not admitted to MIT.
jontyjashan
Hello Guys,
I want to know what is the criteria to enter MIT(Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
What are the courses offered here?

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you tried looking at their website? All this information is listed there.

http://www.mit.edu

Last edited by a moderator:

For undergraduate, it would boost your success if you were a legacy (like a parent went there). You have to be rich. Your grades have to be excellent (duh) because they read applicants like papers.

You have to do a lot of outstanding stuff. Perhaps play like 10 musical instruments, a leader of a sports team (has to be an American sport or popular sport, if it is something like Iaido or Chi-gong, they won't recognize it). You also will have a better chance if you are American.

That's pretty much all I can think of. If you don't believe me look at how some losers like Bush get into Yale. I mean really?

Also, if you are not White or Asian, don't think about it.

Last edited:

Bignum, most of what you wrote is uninformed nonsense. MIT does not give preference to legacies. MIT admissions is independent of financial aid, and they guarantee that any student's "demonstrated financial need is fully met for all four years." MIT has no majority ethnicity, and one-third of its students are not Caucasian-American or Asian-American.

Let me draw everyone's attention to another post of yours:

bignum said:
I am actually asking this because next year when I enter first-year university, I am not sure if I want to my AP credits to exempt me from courses.

You are still in high school. If you haven't even gone to college yet yourself, it seems rather premature to be telling other people about the ins and outs of college admissions.

You can get into any school you want if you are persistent enough and willing to work hard to get your grades up. Other than that, the only person stopping you from getting in is you. I've been accepted to 2 Ivy League schools and chose to attend neither because of the cost. The one private university I did attend taught me the importance of self study and now I am back at a public college and couldn't be happier.

They judge you based off (in order of what I perceive to be most to least important - I've spent a lot of time worrying about applications process so there is at least some truth here) with,

Standardized test scores, your resume (which includes publications, lab work, research, etc.), letter of recommendation, GPA.

They get about a million applications a year and accept like 20 of them so you need to,

- Memorize any sort of formula that might possibly be relevant to a standardized test.
- Work on developing your standardized test taking skills as if you were working on your football skills for the purpose of getting into the NFL.
- Obviously keep your GPA above at least a 3.8 or so.
- Get published, multiple times if possible and better yet as first author.
- Do an REU every summer, and be a lab assistant in the school year.
- Convince someone to write a letter of recommendation for you saying that you'll be the next Einstein.

passion,
That's what I think every person at MIT has.

THANK you guys. IT helped a lot. Actually I am a student from India studying in grade 10.I am an NTSE(National talent search examination) scholar.It is the most prestiged scholarhip among students. After schooling almost all students here who want to take up engineering five the IIT-JEE(Indian Institute of Technology-Joint Entrance Exam).It is the best college for engineering in India. But I want to pursue for MIT cause i have heard that teaching there is just based on conceptual knowledge and that's what I want. So what do I do after 12 grade to join MIT?

jontyjashan said:
So what do I do after 12 grade to join MIT?

First, read the second post on this thread again.

Second, there are 1000 NTSE scholars. MIT has 24 undergraduate students from India: that means about 6 get to enroll every year.

Go for it. :smile:

I want to appply for MIT (I'm a junior) I know that I have a good chance of making it...but I really want to go to Oregon. So I'm not going to go to MIT. So anyway, good luck, stay smart and go get it!

Nick R said:
They judge you based off (in order of what I perceive to be most to least important - I've spent a lot of time worrying about applications process so there is at least some truth here) with,

Standardized test scores, your resume (which includes publications, lab work, research, etc.), letter of recommendation, GPA.

They get about a million applications a year and accept like 20 of them so you need to,

- Memorize any sort of formula that might possibly be relevant to a standardized test.
- Work on developing your standardized test taking skills as if you were working on your football skills for the purpose of getting into the NFL.
- Obviously keep your GPA above at least a 3.8 or so.
- Get published, multiple times if possible and better yet as first author.
- Do an REU every summer, and be a lab assistant in the school year.
- Convince someone to write a letter of recommendation for you saying that you'll be the next Einstein.

You're talking about grad school I hope!

Good luck! I hear they reject valedictorians and national scholars every year!

thnak you guys.
But can u please specify how to find out whether I am good enough for MIT?
and if not MIT what shold i pursue?

How can anyone except the admissions office tell you that?

It would also be good to ask yourself why you want to go there. Write down your answer on paper and see if it sounds mature and well-thought-out when you read it back to yourself. If you can't answer that question adequately in your application essay, then the admissions committee really has no reason to admit you.

I went to visit the school in the early 90's and the let me stay with one of the fraternities. After talking with some of the brothers, I found that they knew people with a rather wide range of GPA's and SAT scores that were admitted. But one thing that I found interesting in my interactions was that none of them seemed to fit the preconceived stereotypes that I held in my mind--they didn't act like geeks or dorks and none of them resembled that nerdy guy from high school that complained when he got 99's on tests.

I tend to think MIT admits outside the box thinkers that demonstrate not only aptitude for success, but significant motivation, balanced character traits, and a love of learning.

I never did fill out an application myself, and in retrospect, I somewhat regret that. I let discouragement get the better of me. C'est la vie.

My advice is to spend a couple months writing a good personal statement. Write many drafts and have other people critique it. I think that will play a more significant role than most people think.

1. What is meant by "criteria" in this context?

The term "criteria" refers to a set of standards or requirements that must be met in order to enter a certain situation or group.

2. Can anyone enter, or are there specific qualifications needed?

The criteria to enter may vary depending on the specific situation or group. Some may have open entry, while others may require certain qualifications or skills.

3. Is there an age requirement to enter?

Again, this may depend on the situation or group. Some may have age restrictions, while others may not.

4. Are there any other factors besides qualifications that determine eligibility?

In some cases, there may be other factors such as location, nationality, or language proficiency that may impact eligibility to enter.

5. How can I find out more about the specific criteria to enter?

The best way to find out more about the criteria to enter is to research the specific situation or group you are interested in joining. This may involve reaching out to the organizers or conducting online research.