Scaling Property of the Dirac Delta Function

In summary, the substitution of t0/a for u in the integral over delta(t-t0/a) does not change the result.
thegreenlaser

Homework Statement

Prove that
[tex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta (at - t_0) \ dt = \frac{1}{ | a |} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta (t - \frac{t_0}{a}) \ dt[/tex]
For some constant a.

The Attempt at a Solution

Edit: Looking at this again, I really don't understand where this is coming from. Everywhere I've read has just said to do a change of variable with u = at, but performing this change of variable, I get
[tex] \displaystyle \frac{1}{a} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta (u - t_0) \ du [/tex]
I don't really understand where the absolute value or the [tex]t_0 / a[/tex] come from.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The order of the limits -infinity to +infinity depend on the sign of a. Think about that. That's where the absolute value comes from.

Oh, right, I forgot to change my integration limits when I did the change of variable. Thanks. What about the [tex]\frac{t_0}{a}[/tex] term?

thegreenlaser said:
Oh, right, I forgot to change my integration limits when I did the change of variable. Thanks. What about the [tex]\frac{t_0}{a}[/tex] term?

SInce you defined u = a t, you have to define as well a [tex] u_o = a t_o [/tex] so that your integral over u will contain a delta [tex] \delta(u- u_o/a) [/tex]. Then you rename [tex] u \rightarrow t [/tex] and you get their final expression.

^Well, I guess that makes sense because the delta function should be non-zero when [tex]at-t_0 = 0[/tex] i.e. when [tex]t = t_0 / a[/tex] However, I don't quite understand from a general mathematical standpoint why the t_0 constant needs to be replaced when t is replaced. It doesn't seem to me that this is required generally. Like, for example if I have
[tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex]
and I want to evaluate
[tex]\int f(2x - x_0) \ dx[/tex]
I could do a change of variables, like
[tex]u = 2x[/tex]
but it makes no difference in the evaluation of the integral whether or not I make the substitution
[tex]u_0 = 2x_0[/tex]

(I did the integration on my whiteboard, but I'm not going to bother posting it, cause I'm just hoping this will help someone see where my thinking is wrong)
I understand that this is no-where near a 'dis-proof' of the fact that the substitution is required generally. I do believe you, I'm just curious why this is required.

I *think* it's because you're redefining u->t. Normally when using a substitution you just either substitute back in at the end or change the limits over which you are integrating. If you redefine u so it is a times smaller than it was before, you also need to make sure all the constants are scaled by the same amount (you don't notice this scaling for the limits of the integral as infinity/a is still infinity.

Last edited:
thegreenlaser said:
^Well, I guess that makes sense because the delta function should be non-zero when [tex]at-t_0 = 0[/tex] i.e. when [tex]t = t_0 / a[/tex] However, I don't quite understand from a general mathematical standpoint why the t_0 constant needs to be replaced when t is replaced. It doesn't seem to me that this is required generally. Like, for example if I have
[tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex]
and I want to evaluate
[tex]\int f(2x - x_0) \ dx[/tex]
I could do a change of variables, like
[tex]u = 2x[/tex]
but it makes no difference in the evaluation of the integral whether or not I make the substitution
[tex]u_0 = 2x_0[/tex]

(I did the integration on my whiteboard, but I'm not going to bother posting it, cause I'm just hoping this will help someone see where my thinking is wrong)
I understand that this is no-where near a 'dis-proof' of the fact that the substitution is required generally. I do believe you, I'm just curious why this is required.

It makes no difference in the evaluation of the integral of delta(t-t0/a). That integral is 1 regardless of what the additive constant is. The constant makes a difference when you want to integrate g(t)*delta(t-t0/a) for some function g(t). Then you get g(t0/a), because as you've said the delta function is concentrated at t=t0/a.

Oh, I see. So, just to make sure I understand this, is this another way to look at it?

Given
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(t) \delta(at - t_0) \ dt[/tex]
let
[tex]u = at[/tex]
Subbing this in gives
[tex]\frac{1}{|a|}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g\left(\frac{u}{a}\right) \delta(u - t_0) \ du[/tex]
which is then equal to the function g(u/a) evaluated at u=t0, where the argument of the delta function is zero. So then,
[tex]\frac{1}{|a|}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g\left(\frac{u}{a}\right) \delta(u - t_0) \ du
= \left. \frac{1}{|a|} g\left(\frac{u}{a}\right) \right|_{u=t_0}
= \frac{1}{|a|} g\left(\frac{t_0}{a}\right)[/tex]
which is the desired result. Whereas with the other way, you would leave g(t) be and then change the t0 variable, so that the result is (1/|a|)*g(t) evaluated at t=t0/a, which gives the same thing.

Sorry to keep going with this, I just really want to make sure I understand this. I'm having trouble conceptually with the delta function.

I think you've got it.

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific location. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinitely high and has an area of one under the function.

2. How is the Dirac delta function different from other functions?

The Dirac delta function is unique in that it is not a conventional function with a defined value at each point. It is instead a distribution that is used in calculus and physics to model point-like or singular phenomena.

3. What is the scaling property of the Dirac delta function?

The scaling property of the Dirac delta function states that when the argument of the function is multiplied by a constant, the function's value is also multiplied by that same constant. This property is important in many applications, such as signal processing and Fourier transforms.

4. How is the scaling property of the Dirac delta function useful in physics?

The scaling property of the Dirac delta function is useful in physics because it allows us to model and analyze point-like phenomena, such as the charge distribution of a point charge or the mass distribution of a point mass. It also allows us to simplify mathematical equations and make them more manageable.

5. What are some real-world applications of the scaling property of the Dirac delta function?

The scaling property of the Dirac delta function has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. Some examples include analyzing the response of a system to an impulse input, calculating the electric field of a point charge, and solving differential equations in engineering and physics problems.