High symmetry points for a GaAs superlattice

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with plotting the bandstructure for a GaAs superlattice, which is non-periodic in the z direction and periodic in the x and y direction. The speaker is struggling to find the new high symmetry points and is asking for help in this matter.
mbarkira
Hi
I have a problem that i couldn't solve by myself with my little background. I want to plot the bandstructure for a GaAs superlattice, the z-axis is the 111 direction. The structure is non periodic in the z direction and periodic in the x and y direction. The process is totally different then the bulk situation since that should be a new brillouin zone and a new high symmetry points. I couldn't find the new symmetry points and i couldn't find any good book about this, it is really a big mess for me. so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Raouf

NB: I am really new in the field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on guys, No one to help?

What is a GaAs superlattice?

A GaAs superlattice is a layered structure composed of alternating layers of gallium arsenide (GaAs) and aluminum arsenide (AlAs) materials. It is used in semiconductor devices to control the properties and behavior of electrons, such as their energy levels and movement.

What are high symmetry points?

High symmetry points are points in the Brillouin zone (a mathematical representation of the reciprocal space of a crystal lattice) where multiple symmetry operations intersect. They are important in the study of crystals and semiconductors as they help to identify the electronic band structure and properties of the material.

Why are high symmetry points important in a GaAs superlattice?

High symmetry points in a GaAs superlattice are important because they can help to explain the electronic band structure and properties of the material. By studying the behavior of electrons at these points, scientists can gain a better understanding of the behavior of the superlattice as a whole.

How are high symmetry points determined in a GaAs superlattice?

High symmetry points in a GaAs superlattice are determined using mathematical calculations and symmetry operations. These operations help to identify the points where multiple symmetry operations intersect, indicating a high symmetry point in the Brillouin zone.

What is the significance of high symmetry points in the band structure of a GaAs superlattice?

The high symmetry points in the band structure of a GaAs superlattice help to explain the electronic properties and behavior of the material. By studying the electronic band structure at these points, scientists can gain insights into the energy levels and movement of electrons in the superlattice, which is crucial in the design and development of semiconductor devices.