Physics homework hanging stone

In summary, the thread is likely to break below the stone for a sharp pull and above the stone for a slow and steady pull. The tension in the string increases as the mass of the added stone increases, leading to a greater likelihood of the thread breaking above the stone.
iampaul

Homework Statement

A stone hangs by a fine thread from the ceiling and a section of the same thread dangles from the bottom of the stone.

Homework Equations

a. If a person gives a sharp pull on the dangling thread, where is the thread likely to break: below the stone or above it?
b. What if the person gives a slow and steady pull?
Explain your answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the answer for a is below while for b the answer is above, but I don't know exactly how. Can someone please explain this in detail. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
iampaul said:

Homework Statement

A stone hangs by a fine thread from the ceiling and a section of the same thread dangles from the bottom of the stone.

Homework Equations

a. If a person gives a sharp pull on the dangling thread, where is the thread likely to break: below the stone or above it?
b. What if the person gives a slow and steady pull?
Explain your answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the answer for a is below while for b the answer is above, but I don't know exactly how. Can someone please explain this in detail. Thanks

have a look at the tensions in the string, if the stone has a mass of 10kg, and a second 2 kg stone was attached to the bottom of the lower string.

What happens to those tensions is the 2 kg stone is replaced by a 4kg stone? 6kg? 8kg? 12kg? 14kg? ...

That should give you a clue for part (b)

Answer me that and I will give you a hint about (a)
EDIT: for speed of calculation, and because each stone could have been a little heavier any way, use g=10 m/s^2

1. What is "Physics homework hanging stone"?

"Physics homework hanging stone" refers to a common physics problem where a stone is suspended from a string and acts as a simple pendulum. This problem is often used to demonstrate concepts such as gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy, and the relationship between mass, length, and period of a pendulum.

2. How do you calculate the potential energy of the stone in "Physics homework hanging stone"?

To calculate the potential energy of the stone, you can use the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the stone, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the stone from its lowest point. This equation assumes that there is no friction or air resistance acting on the stone.

3. What factors affect the period of the pendulum in "Physics homework hanging stone"?

The period of the pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the stone, and the gravitational acceleration. The longer the string, the longer the period will be. The heavier the stone, the shorter the period will be. Lastly, the higher the gravitational acceleration, the shorter the period will be.

4. How does the initial angle of release affect the motion of the stone in "Physics homework hanging stone"?

The initial angle of release can affect the motion of the stone by changing the amplitude and period of the pendulum. If the stone is released at an angle other than 90 degrees, the amplitude will be smaller and the period will be shorter. This is because the force of gravity is acting on the stone at an angle, causing it to move in a circular motion instead of a straight line.

5. What is the equation for the period of a pendulum in "Physics homework hanging stone"?

The equation for the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string in meters, and g is the gravitational acceleration in meters per second squared. This equation is known as the "small angle approximation" and is valid for angles less than 15 degrees.