Photon-Photon Scattering: Cross Section Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cross section in particle physics and its relation to throwing darts at a stationary wall. The speaker then asks about how this concept applies to photon-photon scattering and the approach that would be required to find the cross section. The other person explains that in both potential scattering and particle-particle scattering, the S-matrix is used to calculate the cross section, and this can be done through the use of Dyson series or Feynman diagrams. They also mention that photon-photon scattering is highly nontrivial and is only possible through higher order Feynman diagrams.
wukunlin
Gold Member
from what I know: cross section in particles physics can be seen as throwing random darts on ballons on a wall, ie the wall is stationary.

but if I want to work out the cross section of two laser beams at certain angles, the analogy above wouldn't hold would it? Since photons can never to stationary.

So in the case of photon-photon scattering, what sort of approach would be required to find the cross section?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I fully understand your question but it seems that you simply want to go from potential scattering to particle-particle scattering (including quantum field theory). Is that correct?

In both cases the fundamental entity is the so-called S-matrix Sfi which relates initial and final states of fixed momenta pi and pf. The S-matrix is related to the Hamiltonian H governing the time evolution of the system via the time evolution operator U. A well-known way to calculate S in perturbation theory is the so-called Dyson series which again can be used in both cases potential scattering and particle-particle scattering. In quantum field theory the Feynman diagrams are nothing else but graphical representations of Dyson series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_matrix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_series (in terms of an interaction potential V)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_diagram (in terms of an interaction term in the Lagrangian)

Btw.: Your example of light-light or photon-photon scattering is highly nontrivial. The reason is that in the QED Larangian (as in classical Maxwell theory) there is no interaction term for photons with photons, only for photons with matter currents (there is no term which involves a term with more than two photon fields A in the Lagrangian). That's why photon-photon scattering occures only in higher order Feynman diagrams mediated via photon-electron interaction and is highly suppressed (afaik not measurable experimentally)

http://www.colinfahey.com/eclectic_images_2002/gg-scat.jpg

tom.stoer said:
I am not sure if I fully understand your question but it seems that you simply want to go from potential scattering to particle-particle scattering (including quantum field theory). Is that correct?
to be honest I'm not really familiar with these terms. What I was asking was relevant but not as profound as the information you have given (which I greatly appreciated :) ). it was just some misconception I had which I managed to clear a little earlier today.

Thanks again for info, looks like I got a bit more studying to do (probably out of the course syllabus, but these do look like things that are nice to know)

1. What is photon-photon scattering?

Photon-photon scattering is a process in which two photons interact with each other and produce new particles. This occurs due to the electromagnetic force between the photons.

2. What is the cross section of photon-photon scattering?

The cross section of photon-photon scattering is a measure of the probability of the scattering process occurring. It is typically expressed in units of area and depends on the energy and polarization of the photons.

3. How is the cross section of photon-photon scattering calculated?

The cross section of photon-photon scattering is calculated using quantum field theory and perturbative methods. This involves calculating the scattering amplitude and then using it to determine the cross section.

4. What factors affect the cross section of photon-photon scattering?

The cross section of photon-photon scattering is affected by the energy and polarization of the photons, as well as the presence of any other particles in the interaction. It also depends on the angle at which the photons are scattered.

5. What applications does photon-photon scattering have in physics research?

Photon-photon scattering is an important process in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic interactions at high energies. It is also used in studying phenomena such as the production of matter and antimatter pairs in particle accelerators.