Nebulizing antibiotics to bypass the GI tract

• Medical
  • Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
In summary, the author believes that the appendix does have a function in man and that it produces beneficial bacteria. However, they caution that the appendix is not in a well suited spot to fulfill this function and that there may be some potential complications associated with not having an appendix.
CrimpJiggler
I don't have an appendix so my body will have a much harder time recovering from antibiotics if they wipe out my intestinal bacteria. An obvious solution to that would be to ingest the antibiotic parentereally. I'd prefer not to go the intravenous route or any other routes involving needles so I'm thinking a nebulizer would be the way to go. Anyone here have any experience with this kinda thing?

Biology news on Phys.org
I've never heard of any noticeable complication of not having an appendix like this. Have you consulted your doctor to see if this is an actual possibility? There are often good reasons as to why antibiotics are administered as they are and techniques like nebulizing may not be available.

Most antibiotics are weak acids or bases, so their route of administration is used to get the best bioavailability in the targeted tissue compartment possible. Some antibiotics (because of their properties--ie; size, lipophobicity, type of metabolism, etc) simply cannot be administered by other methods to reach sufficient concentrations in the target body compartment.

If its something concerning you for a certain antibiotic you should speak with your GP or family doc about it before starting a course.

Ryan_m_b said:
I've never heard of any noticeable complication of not having an appendix like this. Have you consulted your doctor to see if this is an actual possibility? There are often good reasons as to why antibiotics are administered as they are and techniques like nebulizing may not be available.

In the past it was commonly believed by medical professionals that the appendix served no useful function for modern man. Today, we know that this isn't the case. The appendix plays a large role in housing and producing bacteria which inhabit the intestines. I've had IBS symptoms ever since I had my appendix removed 10 years ago and I don't think its a coincidence.

As for good reasons for route of administration, I know. I'm an applied chemistry student, I know a thing or two about medicinal chemistry (that happens to be my favorite subject in chemistry).

bobze said:
Most antibiotics are weak acids or bases, so their route of administration is used to get the best bioavailability in the targeted tissue compartment possible.
I have the pharmacokinetics worked out. I was just asking for people to share their experiences with this.

CrimpJiggler said:
In the past it was commonly believed by medical professionals that the appendix served no useful function for modern man. Today, we know that this isn't the case. The appendix plays a large role in housing and producing bacteria which inhabit the intestines. I've had IBS symptoms ever since I had my appendix removed 10 years ago and I don't think its a coincidence.

Well, this is a hypothesis for the purpose of the appendix in man. There is some evidence to support it and some going against it. Particularly the inhabitants of the bowel change over the course of the bowels. Which means that the appendix, being situated off the ileocecal junction isn't in a well suited spot to fulfill this function.

Ah right, thanks for informing me about that, I haven't actually researched the matter myself, I just heard this in a documentary. My personal experience seems to coincide with this hypothesis. Ever since I had my appendix removed I've had digestive problems. I'm far more prone to diarrhea than the average person and the diarrhea I get comes with this severe (I've never experienced pain this intense from anything else), stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. I have a plethora of miscellaneous gut problems on top of that but nothing very problematic.

You say that the inhabitants of the bowel change from place to place. Pathogenic bacteria can be easily observed (because they usually produce symptoms wherever they are) to migrate and can colonise multiple areas of the GI tract, I don't think that's a very good argument against this hypothesis. Thats just my uninformed opinion though, I don't really have enough knowledge on this to have a valid opinion.

Personal anecdotes and uninformed opinions are against PF rules. Stick to references to published science or the thread will be locked.

1. What is the purpose of nebulizing antibiotics to bypass the GI tract?

Nebulizing antibiotics allows for direct delivery of the medication to the lungs, bypassing the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. This is especially beneficial for patients who have difficulty absorbing oral antibiotics or who experience unwanted side effects from oral antibiotics.

2. How does nebulizing antibiotics work?

Nebulizing antibiotics involves turning the medication into a mist that can be inhaled directly into the lungs. The mist reaches the small airways and alveoli, where the infection is located, and the medication is able to exert its effects more quickly and effectively compared to oral administration.

3. What types of antibiotics can be nebulized?

Any antibiotic that can be dissolved in liquid form can potentially be nebulized. Commonly used antibiotics for nebulization include gentamicin, tobramycin, and colistin for respiratory infections.

4. What are the potential benefits of nebulizing antibiotics?

Nebulizing antibiotics can have several benefits, including faster and more targeted delivery to the site of infection, reduced risk of systemic side effects, and improved efficacy for certain types of infections. It can also be a more convenient and less invasive option for patients who have difficulty taking oral medications.

5. Are there any risks or complications associated with nebulizing antibiotics?

As with any medication, there is a potential for side effects and adverse reactions when nebulizing antibiotics. These can include throat irritation, coughing, and bronchospasm. It is important to follow the instructions for nebulizer use and to discuss any concerns with a healthcare provider.