Are the leaves on an apple tree and the sap edible? What about other plants?

In summary, the conversation discusses the edibility of different parts of plants, specifically leaves, seeds, and sap. It is mentioned that some plants, such as nightshade, have different parts that range from edible to lethal. The group also discusses how the edibility of a plant can vary for different species or animals. Additionally, the topic of certain plants being toxic but edible when prepared a certain way is brought up. The conversation ends with a question about the purpose of the discussion and if it was a test.
dimensionless
I know the seeds are mildly poisonous, but what about the leaves? What about the leaves of other trees like, orange trees, plum trees, maple trees, ground banana tree leaves, etc? If the bark of a tree is edible, does that imply that it's leaves, seeds, and sap are edible as well? Vice versa? There are also some foods that are somewhat toxic, such as acorns, but they are better when prepared a certain way. Certainly there are many perfectly edible plant parts, such as kiwi skins, that are ordinarily disposed of. Can anyone comment on this topic?

Biology news on Phys.org
No, I wouldn't assert that because one part of a species is edible, that anther part also is. Or even that the part on other species would be edible.

I don't know about apples, but the nightshade, for instance has several varieties of plants that range from edible to lethal, and different parts are edible on different plants.

It all depends on strategies the plant developed over time through mutation and selection; at times, poisoning things that eat it are advantageous. Others times, having something of benefit is advantageous (bees like pollen, so bees pollenate flowers)

Edible by who/what? Some items that are delicious for some animals are poison for humans and the other way 'round.

For instance, I love walnuts but it's my understanding that if you feed them to a horse it will likely die.

Apple leaves will just make you sick (if you are referring to the standard grocery store kind.) You have to eat at least a quart of the apple seeds for them to be poisonous. (In some herbal remedies, they are advised for cancer.) The other parts won't kill you; just make you sick. (and I'm assuming you are referring to a human.)

But this is just for apple trees. Raspberry leaf has several medicinal uses, the fruit is food, but the root will make you ill. As the other people said, every plant is different.

You are all correct. A fruit is a part of a plant that has evolved to be eaten. The rest of the plant has evolved to not be eaten.

dimensionless said:
You are all correct.

So why did you ask?

Was this a test?

Did we pass?

1. Are the leaves on an apple tree and the sap edible?

The leaves on an apple tree and the sap are not typically considered edible for humans. The leaves are high in fiber and nutrients, but they also contain compounds that can be toxic if consumed in large quantities. The sap, while used in some traditional medicines, can also be harmful if consumed in excess.

2. Can animals eat the leaves on an apple tree and the sap?

Yes, many animals such as deer, goats, and rabbits can safely consume the leaves on an apple tree and the sap. However, it is important to note that not all animals can tolerate these plant parts, so it is best to research the specific animal's diet before feeding them apple tree leaves or sap.

3. Are there any other plants with edible leaves or sap?

Yes, there are many plants with edible leaves and sap. Some examples include spinach, kale, and maple trees. However, it is important to properly identify these plants before consuming them, as some may have toxic look-alikes.

4. What are the potential health benefits of consuming apple tree leaves and sap?

While there is limited research on the health benefits of consuming apple tree leaves and sap, they are known to contain antioxidants and other beneficial compounds. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating these plant parts into your diet.

5. How can I safely consume apple tree leaves and sap?

If you are interested in consuming apple tree leaves or sap, it is important to do so in moderation and with caution. Make sure to properly identify the plant and only consume small amounts at a time. It is also recommended to consult with a healthcare professional beforehand to discuss any potential risks or allergies.