New Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope Arrives - Dave's Story

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scope
In summary, Dave is excited about his new telescope, which he hopes to use for the upcoming solar eclipse in Cairns, Australia. He notes that it is bulkier than expected, but praises its sturdy build. He looks forward to using it for astrophotography, which he has not done much since moving from New Zealand. Despite some initial cloudy weather, he is able to successfully align the scope and observe various objects, including Jupiter and some Messier objects. He recommends the Celestron CPC range for those in the market for a new telescope and suggests creating a subsection on the astronomy forum for casual discussions and sharing of observing activities and photos. Other users suggest checking out cloudynights.com and the PF blog feature. Lastly, a
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Yipeee ... my new scope has arrived :)

hopefully tonite It will make "first light" last nite was cloudy

http://www.telescopesdirect.com.au/Celestron-CPC-925-GPS-XLT-Computerised-Telescope?sc=189&category=-289

Golly Gosh its some what bulkier than I expected hahaha, I was hoping to take it to Cairns, Queensland, Australia in November for the total solar eclipse, but that aint going to happen. The main scope unit is 26kg (~ 56lbs) and the tripod another 18kg.
But I have to credit Celestron, it is built strong! compared to the tiny forks of the early Celestrons that came out in the '70's and '80's

Am looking forward to reviving my astro photography activities that have been pretty much in recess since I left New Zealand 12 years ago.

Dave

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Davenn, every telescope that is worth the price will be more massive than you expect, and doubly so for the tripod and mount. You have to live to learn with that. I had a mild stoke some years back and my main 'scope has languished in the detached garage as a result. Huge oak tripod, massive mount, and heavy 6" OTA ( APO refractor) make it a bit problematic to set up and tear down in the dark.

yeah true but this was really more massive haha
my existing scope is a 8' Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount
I did have a 10" Meade back in NZ, mounted on a German Equatorial
I really hate those things they are so hard to "point and shoot"
so I'm no stranger to larger scopes, but the online photos of this new scope gave no indication as to how big the fork mount is and as I said its very substantial compared to the early celestron scopes like the C8

well there is some blue sky today ... hopefully I will be able to give the scope its first tryout tonite :)

Dave

hey Guys ...
well after a really cloudy start to the evening the sky finally cleared and I was able to do a sky alignment with the scope wow really easy to do. and from there its easy to goto any object in its huge database.

Jupiter was impressive and looked it periodically over several hours watching the 4 Galelian (sp?) moons doing their little dance around the planet.
went through a few other well known objects M's 45, 42, 41 and a couple of fainter ones M's 1, 79, 77 till the rising bright moon washed out the sky

People... if you are looking for awesome easy to use scopes to buy, I recommend the Celestron CPC range of scopes. They have a range of mirror sizes that surely there's one that will fit a lot of budgets :) I have no affilliation with them, just impressed with their gear :) Just remember once you get a scope you WILL be afflicted with the astronomers disease called "aperture fever" and you will forever be looking forward to the upgrade to a scope with a bigger mirror hahaha

Dave

Note to mods ... for consideration... there is nowhere on the astronomy forum for people to just casually discuss their observing activities, posting a few pics etc hence all my posts in this particular part of the astronomy forum. Would it be worth creating a subsection for that ?

thanks
Dave

Last edited:

davenn said:
Note to mods ... for consideration... there is nowhere on the astronomy forum for people to just casually discuss their observing activities, posting a few pics etc hence all my posts in this particular part of the astronomy forum. Would it be worth creating a subsection for that ?

thanks
Dave

That might be a good use of your PF blog...

Davenn, have you been to cloudynights.com? It's a site dedicated to amateur astronomy with sections for discussing everything in the sky and also to post any pictures. It's a pretty nice site. PF isn't really for these things, although the Fun, Photos, and Games forum in the General section may be appropriate for any pictures you take.

Drakkith said:
Davenn, have you been to cloudynights.com? It's a site dedicated to amateur astronomy with sections for discussing everything in the sky and also to post any pictures. It's a pretty nice site. PF isn't really for these things, although the Fun, Photos, and Games forum in the General section may be appropriate for any pictures you take.

cloudynights site don't think I have been there tho the name rings a bell, maybe some one else mentioned it in the dim distant past haha will check it out thanks
ok on that part in the general section :)

DaveC ... haven't looked at the blogging option for PF don't know how that works will have to investigate, thanks for that idea :)

thanks guys
Dave

Here is a nice place to check for astronomy.

http://forum.ourdarkskies.com/

There are some very advanced astrophotographers who will post their images here. Greg and Neil have posted most of their work here prior to publishing "Star Vistas". Good bunch of people.

1. What is the Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope?

The Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope is a high-quality, computerized telescope designed for amateur and professional astronomers. It features a 9.25-inch aperture and advanced optics for clear and detailed views of the night sky.

2. What makes the Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope special?

The Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope stands out for its combination of advanced technology and ease of use. It has a built-in GPS system for precise alignment and tracking, as well as a sturdy fork mount and dual-axis servomotors for smooth and accurate movement.

3. How does the Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope compare to other telescopes?

The Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope is considered a top-of-the-line telescope in its price range. It offers a larger aperture than most other telescopes in its class, which means better light-gathering capability and clearer views of deep space objects.

4. What can I see with the Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope?

The Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope is powerful enough to view a wide range of celestial objects, including planets, stars, galaxies, and nebulae. With its advanced optics and computerized tracking, you can also capture detailed images of these objects with a camera attachment.

5. How difficult is it to set up and use the Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope?

The Celestron CPC 925 XLT Telescope comes with detailed instructions and is relatively easy to set up and use. However, some basic knowledge of astronomy and telescope operation is recommended to get the best results. The telescope also has a user-friendly hand controller for navigating the night sky.

Back