Can Exercise Improve Concentration and Focus?

In summary: Sleep.For me, it's good to get regular exercise...and sleep, like Evo said.amphetaminesOnly thing I take is a cup of coffee in the morning.
Nano-Passion
What are the current accepted paradigms on concentration and Focus? I want to know more information about it, links are also greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I can study for a very long-period of time with complete concentration. And other times I just can't seem to focus as much as I would like and my mind would often wander.

What helps concentration?

Biology news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
What are the current accepted paradigms on concentration and Focus? I want to know more information about it, links are also greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I can study for a very long-period of time with complete concentration. And other times I just can't seem to focus as much as I would like and my mind would often wander.

Sleep.

For me, it's good to get regular exercise...and sleep, like Evo said.

Pythagorean said:
amphetamines

Only thing I take is a cup of coffee in the morning.

Evo said:
Sleep.

I get plenty of that. =D

lisab said:
For me, it's good to get regular exercise...and sleep, like Evo said.

Regular exercise maintains concentration?

Coffee has been shown to provide some benefit for ADD/ADHD, too, but they still prescribe amphetamines like Aderall. Lots of controversy there, though. Hard to tell when pharmaceutical companies tend to be selective in their reporting.

Pythagorean said:
Coffee has been shown to provide some benefit for ADD/ADHD, too, but they still prescribe amphetamines like Aderall. Lots of controversy there, though. Hard to tell when pharmaceutical companies tend to be selective in their reporting.

How much caffeine (how many cups) should I take? I take only one a day because I fear of being too dependent or addicted.

---

I wish Adderall was legal. Its a shame brain enhancers are looked down upon, in fact, I think its the smart thing to do; pun intended. :biggrin:

Though the thing that scares me is that its said that it can induce psychosis.

No idea, never read the research in depth, just the abstract.

Yeah, I wouldn't with mess with my long-term brain chemistry like that. Practicing concentration is probably the most beneficial approach for a healthy individual.

Pythagorean said:
No idea, never read the research in depth, just the abstract.

Yeah, I wouldn't with mess with my long-term brain chemistry like that. Practicing concentration is probably the most beneficial approach for a healthy individual.

Sometimes I have veryy good concentration, other times I don't. I just want to be more consistent.

I'm looking to take Ginkgo Biloba and Omega-3s. Any other natural "brain boosters" out there?

You're on the right track, good nutrition and sleep is really what it comes down too. I'll bet omega-3's are magnitudes more effective than ginko biloba. Dark chocolate has known positive effects too.

There's also attitude and interpersonal relations. Those can always be distracting.

Pythagorean said:

I love my Aderall. If it wasn't for it, I'd still be in what I like to call my "zombie mode". Imagine walking around in a near daze all day, every day, for the better part of at least 6-7 years and not knowing anything was wrong.

Nano-Passion said:

Have you tried simple meditation techniques?. Meditation can help in concentration especially done in the morning.

Nano-Passion said:

It does for me - it allows me to sit longer. I get fidgety if I have a lot of pent-up energy.

I should add another thing that helps me tremendously: routine. Get into a regular study schedule. For me, this means being in the same place, too.

Nano-Passion said:

From a neuroscientific perspective, exercise stimulates the release of molecules that enhance the signaling of brain cells and promotes neurogenesis (new neurons are made in two regions of the human brain, one important for learning and memory). Running also enhances the brain to synchronize signalling into patterns thought to be important during learning and memory (although I think this data is more correlation than causation).

Personally, I know the weeks I don't go for a run I am more distractable and irritable. I think I also heard somewhere that it's healthy for you? :wink:

What is the brain's role in concentration?

The brain plays a crucial role in concentration, as it is responsible for processing and interpreting information from the environment. It also controls attention, focus, and decision-making, which are essential for concentration.

Why is it important to improve concentration?

Improving concentration can lead to better performance in tasks, increased productivity, and better overall cognitive function. It can also reduce stress and improve mental well-being.

What factors can affect concentration?

There are several factors that can affect concentration, including stress, fatigue, distractions, lack of interest, and certain medical conditions. Diet, exercise, and sleep patterns can also have an impact on concentration.

Can concentration be trained or improved?

Yes, concentration can be trained and improved through various techniques, such as mindfulness practices, meditation, and cognitive exercises. Consistent practice and proper techniques can help strengthen the brain's ability to concentrate.

How can one maintain good concentration?

To maintain good concentration, it is essential to have a healthy lifestyle, including proper nutrition, regular exercise, and sufficient rest. Avoiding distractions and practicing concentration techniques regularly can also help improve and maintain concentration.