Shaving Help, razor burns and cutting myself

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary, you should use a sensitive skin shaving cream, shave against the grain, and get single use blades.
qspeechc
Hi.

I've been shaving for about 5 years or so, but recently I've been having problems. Before I did get shaving rash, but now it's getting worse and I'm also getting razor burns and cutting myself (I'm a man, btw), I also need to shave more regularly now.

My father never taught me how to shave, and anyway he's no good at it either. Any help would be appreciated.

I did do a google search first for tips, but websites contradict each other, and some seem to be promoting specific products. For example, most websites say you should use 3 or 4 blades, but I came across one that said one blade is the best.

Here is how I do it. I shave after my shower, about once every 5 days (until recently, once a week). I put on the shaving gel, wet my razor with warm water, then shave against the grain. I've also read contradictory this about this on the web.

I start with the neck and under the chin, then the sides, then the chin and lip. Every now and then I clean the razor with warm water. After shaving I put on alcohol-based aftershave (more contradictory reports).

I use a Gillette disposable razor with 3 blades, which I don't change too often. I did try shaving with the grain, but it leaves stubble everywhere, it just doesn't shave close enough.

Any help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org

I haven't shaved in a number of years (I long ago decided to embrace the beard) but I used to have to shave quite regularly, every day or every other day. You sound like you're doing everything OK, the only tips I have are to try not shaving against the grain and to use some sort of aftershave balm. Sometimes I used to get razor rash so I would use something like this as opposed to some sort of cologne.

Yes, I did try shaving with the grain, but I can never get a close enough shave, I'm always left with stubble.

And I can't grow my beard. I look terrible with a beard. My hair is quite course, so if I grow a beard I look like a caveman, and it makes me look much older.

I suggest using a sensitive skin shaving cream. I use this and shave against the grain and don't have any problems with shaving frequently, I also don't use aftershave as the sensitive skin cream seems to alleviate the need for it.

Get single use blades and use them once only.

I usually shave each day, in the morning, weekends are exceptions.

Having sharp blades helps greatly, and they do dull over use. I can notice a difference whenever I get a new blade. I think my razors are 3-4 blades, but I've used the real cheap disposal single blades and been happy.

I use hot water when shaving, and hold the razor under it for a short while, for a hot blade. Not sure if that matters, but I rinse it under hot water too. Usually shave before shower, and I just use shaving foam and no aftershave stuff.

I will shave against the grain and then with usually, I agree that against produces a closer shave.

I never have had many issues with razor burns or cuts/nicks, though I did once remove an appreciable chuck of my chin once, not sure what I was thinking and slid the blade rather hard, and maybe a piece that size of my pinky fingertip was removed. Better then any caffeine in the morning to wake you up.

Have you ever tried a shaving machine like Phillips Norelco? I have been using this since and its by far the easiest most efficient way to shave. I had problems with bumps or cuts from shaving in the past and this has definitely help in that dicomfort. Also, it can be the possibility that your shaving way to fast or way to slow.

Hope that helps.

-Phil

shave after/during a shower. The hot water softens everything up and slightly bloats the whiskers with water.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Get single use blades and use them once only.

This is the only thing that has ever consistently worked for me. None of the fancy, expensive razors (with their various "technologies") have ever done significantly better than the ol' plastic Bic disposables.

41C8QP8uxBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

By the way, this is the best shaving cream:

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/4FLw2Cm950UmqlNRWO2zdMX31Swc06JVL-2Ffw_algQHZpNkpBVlrg6R_Iv58sZsXnoQegFPUnkhXBFfd_9tglrWUBJtGI1Y6jftOcl82tatIRwWhPJHZxQIMhcQqustyXL5UMZCsiQeKKqa

My wife and I both use it. Seriously, ignore the "manly" marketing BS and get some Skintimate. I've been teased before, but I really don't give a ****. The goal is a nice, close shave, not to derive part of my manliness from some shaving cream product. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
that reminds me of steaks at a local steakhouse. I always order the queen size steak instead of the king size steak. Way over priced per oz on the king size steak.

I use an electric shaver, total shaving time = 10 secs, total cuts = 0, even-ness = 1!

genericusrnme said:
I use an electric shaver, total shaving time = 10 secs, total cuts = 0, even-ness = 1!

remaining scruff = 10%?

Pythagorean said:
remaining scruff = 10%?

I could shave it down to 8% if I kept at it for a while :p

Shave after a shower with hot water to make the whiskers easier to cut. Hot lather machines actually do work, if you want to go that route (on the one hand, you have to buy the machine, but, on the other, you have to buy the cheap shaving cream so the can will fit in the machine).

Change the blade often. How often depends on your beard - there is no particular standard.

And, personally, I'd use duct tape before I used one of those Bic Disposables. Those are horrible. I got a box with about 500 of those damn things for free, once, and they weren't worth what I paid for them. I probably still had around 400 left when I gave the box to someone else.

qspeechc said:
Hi.

I've been shaving for about 5 years or so, but recently I've been having problems. Before I did get shaving rash, but now it's getting worse and I'm also getting razor burns and cutting myself (I'm a man, btw), I also need to shave more regularly now.

My father never taught me how to shave, and anyway he's no good at it either. Any help would be appreciated.

I did do a google search first for tips, but websites contradict each other, and some seem to be promoting specific products. For example, most websites say you should use 3 or 4 blades, but I came across one that said one blade is the best.

Here is how I do it. I shave after my shower, about once every 5 days (until recently, once a week). I put on the shaving gel, wet my razor with warm water, then shave against the grain. I've also read contradictory this about this on the web.

I start with the neck and under the chin, then the sides, then the chin and lip. Every now and then I clean the razor with warm water. After shaving I put on alcohol-based aftershave (more contradictory reports).

I use a Gillette disposable razor with 3 blades, which I don't change too often. I did try shaving with the grain, but it leaves stubble everywhere, it just doesn't shave close enough.

Any help, please?

I also went the beard route, but didn't used to have too much trouble when I was shaving, back in the day.

I would experiment, first, with deleting the alcohol aftershave and adopting something soothing. I tried aftershave once or twice and couldn't stand the pain or the smell.

BobG said:

And, personally, I'd use duct tape before I used one of those Bic Disposables. Those are horrible. I got a box with about 500 of those damn things for free, once, and they weren't worth what I paid for them. I probably still had around 400 left when I gave the box to someone else.

Duct tape! :rofl:

Other than those of you who shave right after a shower, don't any of the rest of you guys start with washing your face with hot water or holding a washcloth with hot water over your beard before shaving? I've never heard of just slathering shaving gel onto cold whiskers before.

My boyfriend has sensitive skin and easily gets rashes from shaving, but about a year ago, found a new shaving cream that's unscented and meant for sensitive skin instead, and has not had nearly as much problems as he used to. If he could get the cleaner to listen and not starch his collars, he'd be even better.

As for number of blades, I can only answer from the female perspective that a single blade seems easier to cut yourself with if you are not skilled with razor handling, but I don't notice enough of a difference between 2 and 5 blades to justify the expense. My guy did get one of those razors with something crazy like 5 blades as a gift, and his face was smoother according to my extensive testing, but not so much so that I'd keep buying the blades for that thing, though he's one of those people who can be clean shaved when he leaves for work and coated in velcro by the time he gets home, so someone who only shaves once a week might be able to handle the expense better.

I have shaved without any cream or water, wouldn't recommend it.

Moonbear said:
My guy did get one of those razors with something crazy like 5 blades as a gift, and his face was smoother according to my extensive testing

I once used a 5 bladed razor and while the shave was much more comfortable and softer than using my standard 3 bladed razor, it was nowhere near the same quality. Even shaving against the grain, I would have to do it twice over to get the same result as I do with my 3 bladed razor.

I have this problem too. Some people have sensitive skin. All i can say is, change razors frequently, don't press down too much when shaving, and try to moisturize (dry skin can make this problem worse.)

Moonbear said:
Other than those of you who shave right after a shower, don't any of the rest of you guys start with washing your face with hot water or holding a washcloth with hot water over your beard before shaving? ...

Yep. Cold skin is in the recipe for a cut face. Add a dash of dull-blade1 and viola! Shredded beef!

1 "Wife's Razor" can be used as a substitute here if you don't have any dull-blade.
... My guy did get one of those razors with something crazy like 5 blades as a gift, and his face was smoother according to my extensive testing, but not so much so that I'd keep buying the blades for that thing, though he's one of those people who can be clean shaved when he leaves for work and coated in velcro by the time he gets home, so someone who only shaves once a week might be able to handle the expense better.

"Extensive testing" eh? Thank you for keeping it G-rated. :biggrin:

And I do agree; buying packs of those multi-blade heads at $20 a pop gets expensive rather quickly for someone who shaves every day.

Moonbear said:
My boyfriend has sensitive skin and easily gets rashes from shaving, but about a year ago, found a new shaving cream that's unscented and meant for sensitive skin instead, and has not had nearly as much problems as he used to. If he could get the cleaner to listen and not starch his collars, he'd be even better.
That's one of the reasons I quit shaving about 35 years ago. My skin got really irritated, and I really didn't like colognes or shaving products. I shaved twice one week in 1981 (looking for a job on an offshore oilrig). I found a job as an iron worker onshore, so I stopped shaving and haven't shaved since.

If I did shave, I'd use unscented products. Hot lather after a shower is the best way.

One can use an electric razor. My son finds them effective.

qspeechc said:
Hi.

Any help, please?

The only thing that jumps off the page for me is the possibility that you're holding your razor at the wrong angle. You might try holding the handle closer to your face. If you allow the angle between the handle and your face to get too large, you can end up with a bad angle of attack and start doing damage. Also, I guess you could be pushing to hard, which could be an indirect result of a bad angle as well. So you might pay attention to keeping as light of a touch as possible.

Instead of an aftershave, I use rubbing alcohol. There is nothing like that blast of pain in the morning to get your day going. :biggrin: Also, I am prone to razor burn if I don't use it.

I don't like the cheap razors. A razor with a floating [pivoting] head can help a lot.

Moonbear said:
Other than those of you who shave right after a shower, don't any of the rest of you guys start with washing your face with hot water or holding a washcloth with hot water over your beard before shaving? I've never heard of just slathering shaving gel onto cold whiskers before.

I experienced this (dry-shave) in the Army.

I was a SSgt with an A1C under me. He showed up to work on Friday, forgot to shave, and was right on the dot of not being late. I found a razor, dulled it up a little and told him to go shave. This was in a MX squadron also, so the only soap had pumice. I don't know which was worse, the side that was bleeding from the dull razor/lava soap combo, or the bleeding dry shave side. Either way, he was always clean shaven after that. He was an excellent troop, and I wish he had stayed in. He got his degree and got an excellent job. Phil, if you're reading this...hope you're doing good.

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?1589384-Funny-Punishment

Astronuc said:
That's one of the reasons I quit shaving about 35 years ago. My skin got really irritated, and I really didn't like colognes or shaving products. I shaved twice one week in 1981 (looking for a job on an offshore oilrig). I found a job as an iron worker onshore, so I stopped shaving and haven't shaved since.

If I did shave, I'd use unscented products. Hot lather after a shower is the best way.

One can use an electric razor. My son finds them effective.

I tried to get the boyfriend to grow in a beard again. He had one when we first met and he looked adorable with it. But, when he tried, it came in mostly gray instead of the reddish-brown it used to be, which he didn't like. Then his coworkers told him he seemed too somber with it because they couldn't see his smile anymore. That's when they all conspired against me and bought him the fancy razor and some fancy schmancy shaving kits. :grumpy:

Something else that might help with the red bumps is to apply some cortisone cream after shaving to minimize the inflammation.

As someone who had some of the same issue, I'd fully recommend you buy clippers (such as used for cutting hair) and just shave with that every few days. Lots of stubble all over, but your skin will thank you (and it only takes a minute without cleanup or prep). Skin with hair can hold 10x more liquid than skin without, and some of us need that oil to keep our face healthy. Its only natural.

However, if you insist on shaving, shave with the grain on your neck. Use your fingers to stretch the skin under what you're shaving. Go over the same spot repeatedly if its not smooth. Don't use alcohol based aftershave, that'll dissolve the oils in your skin and dry you out further (you need to maintain natural oil levels despite removing the hair that maintains them).

Best advice in this regard: go to a barber. Getting a shave paid for shave with a SHARP straight razor is fantastic.

Er, thanks for the responses, but there is even more contradictory advice!

One blade, two, three, four or five? No one seems to agree.

I like the alcohol in aftershave because it kills all the germs, which is great if you get razor burn or cut yourself. I'm not bothered about the dryness because, like I said, I shave after I shower, which is at night. By morning the natural oils on my face have returned.

Shaving with the grain really doesn't work for me, because it leaves me with stubble. Maybe I'll try feathermoon's tip of stretching the skin.

And I can't afford any fancy 5 blades or electric shaver. In fact, I once tried shaving with 4 blades and I found it worse. I was constantly cutting myself and not shaving very well. And electric razors also don't get close enough for my liking, but at least they don't give me rash or burns or anything.

From my understanding, shaving rash is from ingrown hairs, which come from bad shaving, not aftershave.

I guess different strokes for different folks (see what I did there?:approve:). I'll just keep experimenting until something works. *Sigh* here comes months of bad skin and expensive testing.

1, 2, 3, 5 blades? They won't be better or worse for razor bumps, imo. Just make sure what you have is sharp so it doesn't pull on the hair, and don't press too hard that you're shaving off your skin.

Barbers use the traditional cut throat razors and shaving soap applied liberally with a shaving brush.Unless you have a very steady hand do not go for the razor(and the strop you need to sharpen it with) but try the soap and brush.A quality brush is expensive but it can last for ever.Also,the shaving soap lasts for ages and by not buying canned shaving creams you will be saving money.
Why not make it an occasion by inviting three friends over before the event to indulge in some barbershop singing.:yuck:

Waxing or plucking works good too, lol.

On a more realistic thing, my brother and dad sometimes still have this happen. My dad won't use anything but Gillette Good News Razors

Or hammer them down and bite them off from the inside.

Although I don't condone beard murder, I agree with using Bic razors and shaving cream and using a new razor each time. Bics are much better than the expensive razors. Also, something like Nivea after shaving may be of some help.

As a gent with a luxurious face-garden, I only shave once a week.

I shave after showering. The stubble is softer after soaking.
I will never again shave against the grain on my throat/neck. Never mind the cuts, it gives me itchy rashes!

Not shaving also saves you time. I haven't shaved since about March of 2008.
Shaving looks like a girl-in-bathroom stuff to me. :smile:

BobG said:
Shave after a shower with hot water to make the whiskers easier to cut. Hot lather machines actually do work, if you want to go that route (on the one hand, you have to buy the machine, but, on the other, you have to buy the cheap shaving cream so the can will fit in the machine).

Change the blade often. How often depends on your beard - there is no particular standard.

Really? I'm a really sensitive person and every disposable razor I've encountered has felt like I was shaving my face by sticking my head in the middle of a cat fight.
But the bic disposable razors, especially the "sensitive" ones actually feel better than any of the expensive blades that are made by NASA.
What didn't you like about them? I can use one for about 5 shaves before it starts feeling uncomfortable.