Calculating force of hydraulic cylinder

In summary: Basically, what's happening is the air is being heated up to a maximum temperature of 800 degrees Celsius, which causes pressure to be generated. This pressure is then used to rotate a flywheel, which stores kinetic energy. When the temperature is lowered, the kinetic energy is released, which then causes the flywheel to rotate again.
CognitiveNet
I want to calculate the force generated (as a result of expanding air) from pressure created by heating air up to a maximum temperature of 800 degrees Celsius.

My flywheel with a radius of 0,030m is rotating at a speed of 850RPM and weights 0,27Kg.
Angular velocity: w=850RPM*(2pi/60)=89rad/s
Moment of inertia of the flywheel: I=0,5*m*r^2=0,5*0,27*0,030^2=0,0001215 kgm^2
Kinetic energy: Ek=0,5*I*w^2=0,5*0,0001215*89^2=0,48N

Now I use Thermodynamics to calculate the supplied heat.
The room temperature is 20 degrees Celsius and the piston is 0,020m in diameter.

Area of piston: pi/4 *d^2=pi/4 *0,020^2=pi*10^-4
Force acting on piston due to the pressure inside the cylinder: F=P*A
I'm assuming this force is equal to the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel.
Thus P=F/A=0,47N/pi*10^-4=1527Pa
P1*V1/T1=P2*V2/T2
(Excluding the volumes because I just care about the initial kinetic force)
Pa = Normal atmospheric pressure at 20 degrees Celsius (or 293 Kelvin)
Thus T2=P2*T1/P1=1527Pa*293K/101300Pa=4K IMPOSSIBURU!

But the supplied heat is at least 800 degrees Celsius.
Assuming all of the heat is transferred into the air inside the cylinder, that's equal to 1073K.

Please tell me what's going on here. I have the feeling that I don't know how to calculate how much force the air is acting on the piston, as a result of an increase of pressure due to the increase of temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
CognitiveNet said:
Kinetic energy: Ek=0,5*I*w^2=0,5*0,0001215*89^2=0,48N
Your units are not correct. Energy has the dimension of Force x distance and units in MKS are Joules.

Now I use Thermodynamics to calculate the supplied heat.
The room temperature is 20 degrees Celsius and the piston is 0,020m in diameter.

Area of piston: pi/4 *d^2=pi/4 *0,020^2=pi*10^-4
Force acting on piston due to the pressure inside the cylinder: F=P*A
I'm assuming this force is equal to the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel.
This is also dimensionally incorrect. Force cannot equal energy.

You have not explained the problem very well. Perhaps if you explained exactly how the piston is connected to the flywheel, we might be able to help you out.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Your units are not correct. Energy has the dimension of Force x distance and units in MKS are Joules.

This is also dimensionally incorrect. Force cannot equal energy.

You have not explained the problem very well. Perhaps if you explained exactly how the piston is connected to the flywheel, we might be able to help you out.

AM

It's a Lamina Flow Stirling, or a thermodynamic stirling.

1. What is a hydraulic cylinder and how does it work?

A hydraulic cylinder is a mechanical device that uses pressurized fluid to create linear motion. It consists of a cylindrical barrel, a piston, and a rod. When fluid is pumped into the cylinder, it pushes against the piston, causing it to move and generate force. This force can then be used to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How is the force of a hydraulic cylinder calculated?

The force of a hydraulic cylinder is calculated by multiplying the pressure of the fluid by the area of the piston. This can be expressed as the formula F = P x A, where F is the force in Newtons, P is the pressure in Pascals, and A is the area of the piston in square meters.

3. What factors affect the force output of a hydraulic cylinder?

The force output of a hydraulic cylinder is affected by several factors, including the size and diameter of the piston, the pressure of the fluid, and the angle at which the force is applied. The type of fluid used and the condition of the cylinder also play a role in the force output.

4. Can the force of a hydraulic cylinder be increased?

Yes, the force of a hydraulic cylinder can be increased by increasing the pressure of the fluid or by using a larger piston. However, it is important to note that increasing the pressure beyond the recommended limit can cause damage to the cylinder and should be done with caution.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with hydraulic cylinders?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when working with hydraulic cylinders. These include wearing proper protective gear, checking for leaks before use, following recommended pressure limits, and properly securing the load being lifted or moved. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the cylinder to ensure safe operation.