Rotation on a Plane | Using Rotation Matrix and Point Rotation

In summary, the student is trying to rotate a vector around a point on the plane while keeping the vector orthogonal.
lendav_rott

Homework Statement

On a X-Y plane we have a square with its 4 corners A(3,1) B(7,3) C(2,6) D(0,2).
We are to rotate the rest of the square around the point A clockwise by 70 degrees.

Homework Equations

(I am not sure how they are called in English)
The rotation matrix 2x2 1st row: cosa ,-sina 2nd row: sina, cosa - call it G(a) so that
X' = G(a) * X

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to use this matrix transposition or conversion (not sure how it is called) when I am rotating a vector around the 0-point, but I don't know how to rotate a vector around a point on the plane.

EDIT: Just as I posted this I got a revelation - I will Rotate the vector AB using the rotation matrix and then add point A's x and y coordinate respectively to the product of the matrixes. And all the same with the other corners - construct vector AC AD and deja vu.

Now there is a question:
When I do the product of G(a) * A , where A is the vector matrix - the vector spins counterclockwise, but when I do the product of AT * G(a) - the vector spins clockwise. I don't understand why - does it mean that AT * G(a) = G(-a) * A?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the rotation matrix,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
is orthogonal- its columns or rows, considered as vectors, are "orthonormal", perpendicular and of length 1.

Also, the transpose is, as you say, equal to the reverse rotation:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & sin(\theta) \\ -sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}cos(-\theta) & -sin(-\theta) \\ sin(-\theta) & cos(-\theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
because cosine is an "even" function and sine is an "odd" function:
[itex]cos(-\theta)= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]sin(-\theta)= -sin(\theta)[/itex].

lendav_rott said:
On a X-Y plane we have a square with its 4 corners A(3,1) B(7,3) C(2,6) D(0,2).
Funny looking square!

Yes I know it's not a square :D But that's what the assignment said, it's not important though. I guess you can call it a polygonia or however it is called in English :/

Also thanks HallsofIvy - read some about it and played around with the numbers a bit and I understand how it works :)

What is rotation on a plane?

Rotation on a plane is a mathematical concept that describes the movement of a point or object around a fixed point in a two-dimensional space. It involves changing the orientation of the point or object by a certain angle around the fixed point, resulting in a new position.

How is rotation on a plane calculated using a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a 2x2 matrix that represents the transformation of a point or object in a two-dimensional space. To calculate rotation on a plane using a rotation matrix, we multiply the point's coordinates by the rotation matrix to obtain the new coordinates of the point after rotation.

What is point rotation?

Point rotation is the process of rotating a single point around a fixed point in a two-dimensional space. This is done by using a rotation matrix to transform the point's coordinates based on the desired angle of rotation.

What are the different types of rotation on a plane?

There are two types of rotation on a plane: clockwise and counterclockwise. Clockwise rotation is when the point or object is rotated in the direction of the hands of a clock, while counterclockwise rotation is in the opposite direction.

What are some real-life applications of rotation on a plane?

Rotation on a plane has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. Some examples include calculating the rotation of a wheel on a moving vehicle, determining the orientation of a satellite in space, and creating 3-dimensional animations using rotation matrices.