Surface w/ max volume and min surface area

In summary, a soap bubble provides an excellent model for finding the surface area of a geometric object with the smallest volume. Both Alternative 1 and Alternative 2 provide a model for finding the object with the maximal volume, a sphere, but there is a proof for Alternative 1 using calculus of variations. There are "precious" surfaces that cannot be found using standard variational techniques, and are instead represented by extremizing values.
ksle82
I'm attempting to solving this problem but do not know how to begin. Any help would be appreciate.

What geometric surface encloses the maximum volume with the minimum surface area? How would you prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all, you should state your question more precisely:
Alternative 1:
Of all geometric objects with the same volume, which has minimal surface area?

Alternative 2:
Of all geometric objects with the same surface area, which encloses the maximal volume?

Under certain assumptions of niceness, you may solve problems like these with the calculus of variations.

Yhen, in both cases, the ball (solid sphere) will be your solution.

If you have some constraints, use Lagrange multipliers.

ksle82 said:
I'm attempting to solving this problem but do not know how to begin. Any help would be appreciate. What geometric surface encloses the maximum volume with the minimum surface area? How would you prove it?
A soap bubble provides an excellent model. The surface tension in a bubble causes the surface area to be minimized. Since it forms a sphere, this is evidence that the minimal surface area for a set volume of air is a sphere.

Likes vshreya
Since there is only one answer to this question (i.e., a sphere) is there a proof for this? Intuitively it makes sense that it would be a sphere, but there must be a rigorous way to demonstrate this..

I'm out of touch with it, but I'm pretty sure you can use the Calculus of Variations to do it.

Isn't this related to the (very hard) Plateau problem?

Yes, the general study of functions giving maximal values (as opposed to numbers) is precisely the "Calculus of Variations". And, yes, one can prove, using the calculus of variations, that, under certain conditions, the surface enclosing maximum volume for given surface area, or, conversely, having minimum surface area for given volume, is a sphere.
There do, however, exist rather peculiar 'special surfaces' that also have those properties.

Well, I have a feeling that the answer would be a sphere but I just don't know how to solve it using calculus. Any hint would help alot.

There do, however, exist rather peculiar 'special surfaces' that also have those properties.
What would these surfaces look like? Could they happen in the real world, for example, would a soap bubble every take on one of these special shapes?

Typically, those surfaces that cannot be discerned by standard variational techniques, yet represent extremizing values, are non-smooth surfaces.

ksle82 said:
What geometric surface encloses the maximum volume with the minimum surface area? How would you prove it?
Well, I have a feeling that the answer would be a sphere but I just don't know how to solve it using calculus. Any hint would help alot.

this is one of the isoperimetric problems proposed by the ancient greeks; one was to find the plane figure with maximal area if given a prescribed perimeter. the other was the other way around, to find the plane figure with minumum perimeter given a prescribed area. the answer is a circle (or sphere i 3 dimensions i guess); jacob steiner proved it in the 1700s or whenever he was around.

proof of calculation

hi guys

would it possible for somebody to actually write out the mathematical calculations for the calculation of miminum surface area of a bubble using the Euler-Lagrange Differential Equation.

thanks
vishak

ksle82 said:
I'm attempting to solving this problem but do not know how to begin. Any help would be appreciate.

Well you just know...I guess if you try to make a garden you don't want to make it very long and very naroow or you'll lose surface. A cubic box holds more than a really wide, really low one. I mean reducing to absurd, a box with width and length of 10 and height of 1 has a volume of 100 and one with 33 on each side has a volume of 33^3. A tethrahedral box takes far less than a cubic one...and so on.

1. What is the definition of a surface with maximum volume and minimum surface area?

A surface with maximum volume and minimum surface area is a mathematical shape that can hold the most amount of space while using the least amount of material on its surface.

2. How is the surface with maximum volume and minimum surface area calculated?

The surface with maximum volume and minimum surface area is calculated using the principles of calculus and optimization. The shape is determined by finding the critical point where the derivative of the volume equation is equal to zero.

3. What are some real-world applications of surfaces with maximum volume and minimum surface area?

Surfaces with maximum volume and minimum surface area are commonly seen in architecture and engineering, where efficient use of materials is important. They can also be found in nature, such as in the shape of soap bubbles and the structure of honeycomb.

4. Can any shape have maximum volume and minimum surface area?

No, not all shapes can have maximum volume and minimum surface area. Only certain geometric shapes, such as spheres, cubes, and cylinders, can achieve this optimal balance between volume and surface area.

5. How does the surface with maximum volume and minimum surface area compare to other shapes in terms of strength and stability?

The surface with maximum volume and minimum surface area is typically stronger and more stable than other shapes with the same volume. This is because the material is more evenly distributed, leading to better load-bearing capabilities and resistance to external forces.