Online E&M lectures (at the level of Griffiths)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding online lectures for E&M at the level of Griffith's "Introduction to Electrodynamics". The person is looking for assistance while going through the book on their own. They mention knowing about MIT OCW lectures, but are looking for something more on the level of 18.07. Another person suggests a link to a free e-book with a solution manual and old final exams. The first person mentions that it may be a bit above their level, but some of the exercises and solutions could be helpful. They also mention that the easier problems in the e-book may be similar to mid-to-upper level difficulty problems in Griffiths. The conversation ends with the wisher good luck.
TMFKAN64
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any online lectures on E&M at the level of Griffith's "Introduction to Electrodynamics"? Either video or audio would be fine... I'm plowing through this book on my own, and could use a little assistance.
(I know about the lectures for 18.02 at MIT OCW, but I'm looking for something more at the level of 18.07...)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where there are any lecture notes, but I do have a link to this very nice e-book. It's free, and there is also a solution manual as well as old final exams (also with solutions).

http://www.plasma.uu.se/CED/Book/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'm not sure that "at roughly the same level as the well-known textbook by Jackson" isn't a bit more than I'm ready for, but I'm sure that some of the exercises (and solutions) will come in handy!

TMFKAN64 said:
Thanks. I'm not sure that "at roughly the same level as the well-known textbook by Jackson" isn't a bit more than I'm ready for,

Yeah, sorry, it's all I've got.

but I'm sure that some of the exercises (and solutions) will come in handy!

Undoubtedly there will be some overlap. I would expect that the easier problems in this book might look like the mid-to-upper level difficulty problems in Griffiths. And those are the ones you will need help with anyway!

Good luck,

TM

1. What is the level of difficulty for Griffiths' online E&M lectures?

The level of difficulty for Griffiths' online E&M lectures varies depending on the individual's background knowledge and understanding of the subject. However, most students find the lectures to be challenging but manageable.

2. Are the online E&M lectures at the level of Griffiths suitable for beginners?

While Griffiths' E&M lectures are considered to be introductory, they may not be suitable for complete beginners without any prior knowledge of physics or mathematics. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and electromagnetism before taking the course.

3. Can I access Griffiths' online E&M lectures for free?

Yes, Griffiths' E&M lectures are available for free on various online platforms, such as YouTube and MIT OpenCourseWare. However, some platforms may require a subscription or purchase to access additional materials and resources.

4. What is the format of Griffiths' online E&M lectures?

The format of Griffiths' online E&M lectures typically includes video lectures, lecture notes, and problem sets. Some platforms may also offer additional resources such as quizzes and exams.

5. How long does it take to complete Griffiths' online E&M lectures?

The duration of Griffiths' online E&M lectures can vary depending on the individual's pace of learning and the platform used. However, on average, it may take approximately 12-15 weeks to complete the lectures, including the time needed for problem-solving and practice.