Estimate time to reach steady state

However, he needs to estimate how long it will take to reach steady state. He asks if anyone knows the formula for this or can help him get started. He also mentions that he can't find any information on how to do this in his textbook. Another person suggests doing a substitution on the differential equation and using the steady state solution as a starting point. They also suggest linearizing the equation to get an idea of how it changes with time and potentially finding a solution in the form of an exponentially decaying sine wave. The summary of the conversation is that the formula for estimating the time to reach steady state is not explicitly stated in the textbook, but it
mpm
I have some first order differential equations. I have found the steady state response for each equation. However, now I need to estimate how long it will take to reach steady state.

Can anyone tell me the formula for that or get me started on how i go about doing this. I'm not finding anywhere in my textbook where it says or shows how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing the following substitution on your DE. Say the function is y(x,t) and your steady state solution is s(x). Take your DE and replace y(x,t) with s(x)+u(x,t). Now your u(x,t) is the difference from the steady state.

To get an idea of how it changes with time, you might try, depending on your DE and whether this make sense, linearizing by eliminating all but the terms linear in u. That will probably allow you to put the DE into a form where an exponentially decaying sine wave is the solution. The answer could then be the rate of exponential decay in the sine wave.

That help?

Carl

1. What is the definition of "steady state" in scientific terms?

In scientific terms, the steady state is the point at which a system's properties do not change over time. It is a state of equilibrium or balance, where the system's inputs and outputs are equal.

2. How is the time to reach steady state estimated?

The time to reach steady state is estimated by analyzing the system's behavior over time and identifying when it reaches a state of equilibrium. This can be done through mathematical modeling, experimentation, or observation.

3. What factors can affect the time to reach steady state?

The time to reach steady state can be affected by various factors such as the complexity of the system, the initial conditions, the presence of external influences, and the nature of the system's inputs and outputs.

4. Can the estimate of time to reach steady state be accurate?

The estimate of time to reach steady state can be accurate to a certain degree depending on the accuracy of the data and assumptions used in the estimation. However, it is important to note that external factors and unexpected changes in the system can alter the actual time it takes to reach steady state.

5. Why is it important to estimate the time to reach steady state in scientific research?

Estimating the time to reach steady state is important in scientific research as it helps researchers understand the behavior and characteristics of a system. It also allows them to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the system's stability and ability to maintain equilibrium.