Who else shares my dislike for MacGyver?

• Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the TV show MacGyver and the character's ability to use everyday objects to solve problems and defeat bad guys. Some participants had not seen the show, while others were fans of the show and its lead actor Richard Dean Anderson. The discussion also touched on other shows such as Legend and The Greatest American Hero. Overall, the idea of being resourceful and using creativity to solve problems was praised and even applied in real life situations.

What is your opinon of MacGyver?

• Total voters
rachmaninoff
No, not the PF user, the superhero character portrayed by Dean Anderson. The one who does crazy, impossible things like make lasers out of chewing gum, in order to take out the bad guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's working.

I can't choose any of your choices. I love MacGuyver, but of course the stuff isn't accurate or realistic...that wouldn't be nearly as fun! :biggrin:

I've never seen the show.

*runs away*

moose said:
I've never seen the show.

*runs away*
You're probably too young to have seen it. :grumpy:

I used to love the show when it first came out. Now I don't enjoy the reruns because the acting seems very shallow.

I still approve of the notion of learning how to blow your way out of a cave in with an old magnesium bicycle frame, bat droppings, and old packets of sugar, though.

I voted inbetween because like Moonie I loved watching MacGyver.

Has anyone else ever seen Legend? I loved that show too. Richard Dean Anderson and John de Lancie are great together.
I don't care much for the Star Gate shows.

Oh! And who else used to watch that show with the guy that had curly blonde hair who became a superhero? I can't believe I don't remember the name.

Do you mind much if I derail your thread Rachmaninoff?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Has anyone else ever seen Legend? I loved that show too. Richard Dean Anderson and John de Lancie are great together.
Nope, never even heard of that one.
I don't care much for the Star Gate shows.
They're okay. I liked it for a while, the first few seasons, but then lost interest.

Oh! And who else used to watch that show with the guy that had curly blonde hair who became a superhero? I can't believe I don't remember the name.
The Greatest American Hero. :biggrin: That's what Vanesch and I felt like when we were first made "super" mentors and nobody gave us an instruction book. :rofl: It's much less stressful now that we're just mere mortal mentors again. :biggrin:

This is the #1 thing I have on my Christmas list-
B000BDH6DA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I also have to admit that part of my appreciation of the show is that I've always thought Richard Dean Anderson is HOT! :!)

Moonbear said:
I also have to admit that part of my appreciation of the show is that I've always thought Richard Dean Anderson is HOT! :!)

Especially with that 1980s hair :yuck:

I had assumed that was part of it.

Legend083.gif

I think I'm going to spam your thread if you don't mind Rach... :tongue:

Why do you ask me for permission to derail the thread? It's not like either of us can help it. :rofl:

It's now tied 29%-29%-29% on the real choices, with franznietzsche voting without opinon. However, I think moose's vote doesn't count, because by his own admission he never saw the show. In which case I'm confused as to why or how he voted. :confused:

franznietzsche said:
Especially with that 1980s hair :yuck:
Yes, especially with the 1980s hair. :biggrin: As long as it isn't that big, curly hair-band look. :tongue:

I am MacGyver.

Oh no, what a tragedy.

I didn't like "Legend". Hated the superhero show, and can about tolerate "Stargate" the series. I don't even like MacGyver. I just approve of spreading the notion you can do tremendous things with the miscellaneous junk that's lying around if you know enough chemistry and physics.

I saw him cut through steel with a chocolate bar and a battery.
When I was around 16 my buddies an me used to take my car out into the desert and put the car in gear and get out. We'd stand around while the car drove away, after a while somoeone would yell "MacGyver" and we'd take off running after the car to jump on the roof and climb in and stop it before it hit anything or drove into a ditch.

tribdog said:
When I was around 16 my buddies an me used to take my car out into the desert and put the car in gear and get out. We'd stand around while the car drove away, after a while somoeone would yell "MacGyver" and we'd take off running after the car to jump on the roof and climb in and stop it before it hit anything or drove into a ditch.

Sounds about right :rolleyes:

gravenewworld said:
This is the #1 thing I have on my Christmas list-
B000BDH6DA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Oooo, got to go put that on my wishlist now...

I freely admit to being a MacGyver fan and loved the show. I still watch reruns when I stumble on it channel surfing. Some of the things he did were based on valid science, and probably as many things were staged for effect. I think the best part of the show was the idea that you can do lots of cool stuff with just the ordinary things around you. It's an idea I've tried to stick with even now, particularly at work. Especially important when you have no budget to buy new stuff and have to make do with the things you find hidden away in cabinets at work or can scrounge up from other places.

tribdog said:
Yep, in one of the first episodes, he also sealed up a leaking tank of sulfuric acid with a candy bar. It was right after we had done that lab in science class where you mix sugar and sulfuric acid, so I sat there explaining the reaction to my parents who probably just wished I'd shut up and watch the TV. :biggrin: I also explained out porous the resulting product is and why it wouldn't work to stop a leak. :tongue: Yes, I've been a smart-*** for a long time. :biggrin:

But, how can I not approve of a show that explains the importance of having chocolate with you at all times?! :approve:

The best episodes were the ones where he had to diffuse the bomb that would explode if the little air bubble in the liquid touched the wires that the one kid made and the bomb on the boat where his friend got killed and he had to suck out that yellow stuff with a homemade vacuum tube.

Great show despite, or sometimes because of, the outlandish things he came up with.

I was never able to watch it because I thought Richard Dean Anderson was creepy looking. (sorry MB). :redface: His hair was too mullet-like.

Evo said:
I was never able to watch it because I thought Richard Dean Anderson was creepy looking. (sorry MB). :redface: His hair was too mullet-like.
Now you've ruined it for me. I won't be able to look at him without the mullet-alarm going off. :frown:

you're absolutely right, though.

I really enjoyed it. There were errors of course, but nothing as stupid as most of the stuff that comes on. I suspect that it served to develop an interest in science among a lot of kids.

Evo said:

mullet-like?!? He has the quintessential mullet, well next to Patrick Swayze of course. I mean he has a horrible achy-breaky-bad-mistaky. Sorry, where I used to live, the mullet still does. It is an atrosity.

Math and Evo, I never told you: I have a mullet. It's a good look for zoobies.

zoobyshoe said:
Math and Evo, I never told you: I have a mullet. It's a good look for zoobies.
:cry:

Noooooo, you DO NOT have a mullet!

That's way too serious to be joking about zoob. :devil:

Heh heh

" don't thank me. Thank the moons gravitational pull "

1. Who else shares my dislike for MacGyver?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question. However, there are likely many people who share your dislike for MacGyver, as with any form of entertainment. It is important to remember that everyone has their own preferences and opinions, and it is okay to not like something that others may enjoy.

2. Why do some people dislike MacGyver?

There can be a variety of reasons why someone may dislike MacGyver. Some may find the show's plot or characters uninteresting, while others may not enjoy the genre or style of the show. It is also possible that personal experiences or biases may play a role in one's dislike for MacGyver.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the dislike for MacGyver?

As a scientist, I am not aware of any scientific studies specifically focused on the dislike for MacGyver. However, there may be research on the psychology of preferences and opinions that could provide some insight into why some people may dislike certain forms of entertainment.

4. Are there any other shows or movies that people who dislike MacGyver may enjoy?

Again, I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question as everyone's preferences are different. However, it is possible that those who dislike MacGyver may enjoy other action-adventure or drama shows, or they may prefer a different genre altogether. It is important to explore and find what entertainment brings you joy and satisfaction.

5. Is it okay to dislike MacGyver even though it is a popular show?

Absolutely! It is completely okay to dislike a popular show or any form of entertainment. Your personal preferences and opinions are valid and should be respected. It is important to not feel pressured to like something just because it is popular.