Want to Expand Your Vocabulary? Share a Word and See If We Can Figure it Out!

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, "Defenestrate" means to throw oneself or an object out of a window. "Eschew" means to purposely avoid. "Kirstse" is a made-up word with no known meaning. "Osculate" means to pucker up, "præternatural" is a synonym for supernatural, and "flyting" is a lyrical battle of wit and insult. "Bladderate" refers to extending a meeting through irrelevant debate until it must be adjourned without a decision being reached. "Flaccinaucinihilipilification" is the act of declaring something as worthless. "Smurf" can be used as any noun or verb, "face" can also be
Mk
Post a word and tell us what it means, or post a word and we'll guess! No googling or dictionary-ing though.

Defenestrate: to throw oneself or an object out of a window. :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
Post a word and tell us what it means, or post a word and we'll guess! No googling or dictionary-ing though.

Defenestrate: to throw oneself or an object out of a window. :tongue2:
Also "to be thrown out of a window" as in "Darn it, I got defenestrated again!"

One of my favorite words: eschew--to purposely avoid:yuck:

As in "Brussel sprouts are not chewed, but eschewed."
(paraphrased from Dave Eggers)

What does kirstse mean? Google won't even help you with this one.

Oh, I have another. This is my mother telling me about a movie she saw. Can anyone tell me the other meaning of kill?

Mom: [blah, blah...] but they kill him anyway.
Me: They kill him?
Mom: Yeah.
Me (half-jokingly): Well, great, you just ruined it for me!
Mom: Well, no, they don't kill him.
Me: :rofl:

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
What does kirstse mean? Google won't even help you with this one.
Heh. Neither does the OED. Did you make it up?:devil:

osculate - to pucker up (from My Little Chickadee) Fields to Mae West "Just one little osculation?"

Chi Meson said:
Heh. Neither does the OED. Did you make it up?:devil:
Not exactly. Oh, wait, um, yes, I guess that is pretty much what happened. It refers to the group of people who are cursed. I'm trying to get it some action.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=105113

In arabic, kill means good friend. I'm guessing that's not the answer you're after though.

matthyaouw said:
In arabic, kill means good friend. I'm guessing that's not the answer you're after though.
:rofl:
Bye.

I used these in the "what's that word" thread...

Præternatural: a synonym of supernatural.

Flyting: Started by poets in Scotland in the 1500s it is a lyrical battle of wit and insult.

Am I the only one who finds the idea of a rennisance equivalent of a rap battle quite funny?

Here's a good Peterism I remember from a management book...

Bladderate: v. To extend a meeting by continuous irrelevant debate until it must be adjourned without reaching a decision due to all participants' need to visit the washroom.

flaccinaucinihilipilification, the act of declaring something as worthless.

sorry! I normally spell it right.

It took me about a million tries to find the right spelling, for the starting post in the thread. I couldn't figure it out though, and yommama helped me find the right one.

the - Used before singular or plural nouns and noun phrases that denote particular, specified persons or things

smurf - Can be any noun or verb. e.g.

"Man that guy's an idiot, I'd like to smurf the smurf outta him"

We used to use "face" as any noun or verb. It was great.

Also, the action of wrapping, or trying to wrap one's hand around another one's head was called "facing."

Man that guy's an idiot, I'd like to face the facing face out that dumbface.

Zorilla: A small african mammal related to weasles and skunks.

Quetzal: A type of central american bird.

---edit---
Good scrabble words by the way.:wink:

Like pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis it's a science site so fantastical it further defies antidisestablishmentarianism.

Ahh, like Quetzalcoatl!

Addercup-spider. (adder means poison)

wow, it took me like 15 min to be able to say this word fluently :tongue2: floccinaucinihilipilification... it just rolls off the tounge :biggrin:

sesquipidalian--a user of long words. Otherwise defined as someone who knows what it means. You are a sesquipidalian if you know what a sesquipidalian is.

we should have pronunciations in here too. can't use the word if you can't say it!

Dawguard said:
sesquipidalian--a user of long words. Otherwise defined as someone who knows what it means. You are a sesquipidalian if you know what a sesquipidalian is.
This is a great word, and means, literally, "a foot and a half long." It has come to be applied to people who use long words: words that are a foot and a half long.

(By the way, it's sesquipedalian)

1. What is the purpose of the "Want to Expand Your Vocabulary? Share a Word and See If We Can Figure it Out!" activity?

The purpose of this activity is to promote the expansion of vocabulary by sharing and discussing new words with others.

2. How can this activity help improve one's vocabulary?

Participating in this activity can help improve one's vocabulary by introducing new words and their meanings, as well as engaging in discussions about their usage and context.

3. Can anyone participate in this activity?

Yes, anyone can participate in this activity as long as they are willing to share a new word and engage in discussions about it.

4. Is there a specific format for sharing a word in this activity?

No, there is no specific format for sharing a word. Participants can simply state the word and its meaning, or provide additional information such as its origin or usage in a sentence.

5. Are there any rules for discussing the shared words?

There are no specific rules for discussing the shared words, but participants are encouraged to be respectful and open-minded in their discussions.