Finding the limit of a function with absolute values.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a limit and determining if it exists. The participant first calculates the one-sided limits, which are not equal, leading to the conclusion that the limit does not exist. There is then a correction made to the calculation of the limit from below, which should be 1 instead of -1. The participant then explains their calculation process using latex codes, and another participant suggests a different approach. The conversation ends with the participant thanking the others for their help.
drunkenfool
I need a little help and reassurance here.

The question is as follows,

Find the following limit, if it exists.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{x ^ 2 + |x -1| - 1}{|x-1|}[/tex]

Here is what I did, first I did the two one-sided limits, as [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1^+} [/tex] and as [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1^-}[/tex]. (the values in the absolute value would be (x-1) and -(x-1) respectively, in this case) The answers I got were 3 and -1 respectively. Since the one-sided limits aren't the same, I concluded that the limit for this function does not exist. Am I correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Makes sense to me.

One correction: the limit as x approaches 1 from below, [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1^-}[/tex], is 1, not -1. Of course, the limit still doesn't exist.

Oh, how so? Am I doing this right?

=[tex]\frac{x ^ 2 + |x -1| - 1}{|x-1|}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{x ^ 2 + -(x -1) - 1}{-(x-1)}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{x ^ 2 -x}{-(x-1)}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{-x (1-x)}{1-x}[/tex]
=[tex]-x [/tex]
=[tex]-1[/tex]

drunkenfool said:
Oh, how so? Am I doing this right?

=[tex]\frac{x ^ 2 + |x -1| - 1}{|x-1|}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{x ^ 2 + -(x -1) - 1}{-(x-1)}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{x ^ 2 -x}{-(x-1)}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{-x (1-x)}{1-x}[/tex]
=[tex]-x [/tex]
=[tex]-1[/tex]
Yes, -1 is the correct answer. However, it's not very clear the way you wrote it. Why are your equal signs all fly off to the numerator, and where are all the lim notation?
----------------
Or you may try to get rid of the |x - 1| in the numerator first, and then apply the limit:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1 ^ -} \frac{x ^ 2 - 1 + |x - 1|}{|x - 1|}[/tex]
[tex]= 1 + \lim_{x \rightarrow 1 ^ -} \frac{x ^ 2 - 1}{|x - 1|}[/tex]
[tex]= 1 - \lim_{x \rightarrow 1 ^ -} \frac{(x - 1)(x + 1)}{x - 1}[/tex]
[tex]= 1 - \lim_{x \rightarrow 1 ^ -} (x + 1)[/tex]
[tex]= -1[/tex].

Oh, I really don't know my way around the latex codes, so that's why you see all the errors. Thanks a lot, you guys.

What does it mean to find the limit of a function with absolute values?

When you're tasked with finding the limit of a function containing absolute values, you're essentially determining the value that the function approaches as its input variable (typically denoted as "x") gets closer and closer to a specific point (often denoted as "a"). The presence of absolute values in the function can lead to different behaviors near certain points, making it necessary to handle them carefully.

When do we typically encounter absolute values in functions?

Absolute values often appear in functions when dealing with piecewise functions or situations where a function has multiple branches or cases. These absolute values are used to ensure that the output of the function is non-negative, and they can significantly influence how the function behaves in the vicinity of certain points.

How do I find the limit of a function with absolute values?

Finding the limit of such a function usually involves breaking it down into cases based on the behavior of the absolute values. You'll need to analyze what happens to the function as you approach the given point "a" from the left and from the right. Calculating one-sided limits and checking for continuity at "a" are essential steps. Depending on the function, you may need to use algebraic techniques, trigonometric identities, or other methods to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit accurately.