What is the different between the max stress and the von mise stress

In summary, the von Mises stress in a structure is the yield criterion, while the max stress is simply the maximum stress value in the structure. The material properties can affect the yield criterion and it is possible to have a non-constant yield stress function. In linear static FEA analysis, von Mises stresses are typically considered. The Epsilon values in a material can depend on both elasticity and density.
Lorens
What is the different between the max stress in a structure and the von mise max stress in the same structure?

Kindly Lorens

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure if I'm answering your question as you want, but:

1. From my hazy recollection, the von Mieses "(max) stress" in a structure is the YIELD criterion of the structure; i.e, if the local stress exceeds that value, plastic flow will occur.

2. Max stress in a structure is simply that: the maximal stress value in the structure.

Clearly, the max stress in the structure must be below the von Mieses yield criterion to ensure that plastic flow does not occur.

But in Fem you often look into the von miese stress, and you can list the von mises stress for the diffrent nodes ...

Hmm..but that would surely mean the material has non-uniform properties (and, hence, different yield criteria)?
It is in principle unproblematic of making a non-constant yield stress function. In that case, the requirement is that the local stress does not exceed the local yield criterion.

I'll see if I get someone else to look in on the thread..

EDIT:
As kindly provided by another member, perhaps your problems are resolved by taking a look at:
http://www.engineersedge.com/strength_of_materials.htm

Last edited:
Hi All
I m new here, I have few basic queries, if anyone can clarify on same.
Que1):-For any linear static FEA analysis,w hy do we consider mostly Voin Misses stresses?Why not Principal or any other stresses ?
Que2):-Does Epsilon Values depends on elasticity or Density?

1. What is the difference between max stress and von Mises stress?

The maximum stress is the highest amount of stress experienced by a material at a given point. This value is important for determining the strength and durability of a material. On the other hand, von Mises stress is a measure of the combined effect of all three principal stresses on a material. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the stresses, and is often used to determine the likelihood of failure in a material.

2. Which stress value is more important in material testing?

Both max stress and von Mises stress are important in material testing, but they serve different purposes. Max stress is crucial in determining the strength and load-bearing capacity of a material, while von Mises stress helps in predicting the likelihood of failure due to combined stresses. Therefore, it is important to consider both values in material testing.

3. Can the max stress and von Mises stress be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the max stress and von Mises stress to be equal at a given point in a material. This occurs when the three principal stresses are equal in magnitude and acting in perpendicular directions. In this case, the von Mises stress would be equal to the max stress.

4. Which stress value is used for safety factor calculations?

In safety factor calculations, the von Mises stress is typically used. This is because it takes into account the combined effect of all three principal stresses and provides a more accurate representation of the stress levels in a material. Using the max stress alone may not accurately predict the likelihood of failure.

5. How are max stress and von Mises stress related?

The max stress and von Mises stress are related through a mathematical equation known as the Von Mises Yield Criterion. This equation relates the maximum stress, the two other principal stresses, and the shear stresses to calculate the von Mises stress. Therefore, the max stress is one component of the von Mises stress calculation.