Material for Acoustically Insulating Hard Drives?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of noise in a desktop computer, specifically in relation to audio recording. The main focus is on the use of hard drives and how to reduce their noise in order to achieve a quieter recording environment. Suggestions are given for using sound-absorbing materials and constructing a wooden case to contain the noise. Other options, such as using a fanless computer and turning off hard drives, are also mentioned. Finally, the conversation ends with a suggestion to move the computer to an adjoining room for a quieter recording experience.
dimensionless
I have a desktop with two hard drives in it. I'd like to use it for audio recording, so it must be exceptionally quiet. At the present time the loudest components in my computer are the already quiet hard drives.

In order to contain this sound I plan to surround my hard drives, with some around absorbing material, on as many sides as possible. Perhaps I will even encase the hard drives in a home brewed muffler. To prevent overheating I will also have to include a path for either air flow across the drives or heat conduction.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what material I should use? Where can I get this material? I'd like to spend under $20 dollars, but I might consider going up to $200 or even $350 if the material is significantly superior. Actually $500 is not totally out of the question for true silence. On the other hand $6 do equally well.

Sorry, if I have not posted this question in the proper forum.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I just checked one of my desktops, and the power supply fan seems loudest, followed by the fan over the microprocessor, and occasionally the HD's when writing.

Perhaps put the entire PC in a box/muffler which has good airflow and is lined with acoustic absorption material, e.g. some type of plastic.

Here are some examples - http://www.nonoise.co.uk/absorbers.htm (from UK though).

But - http://www.roushind.com/html/nvh_nvcpacoustic.htm

Absorption mat for PC's - http://www.xpcgear.com/akpaxmatacab.html

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have access to an adjoining room? If so, put your keyboard, mouse, display, etc on a table near the wall and run the cables through the wall to the PC on the other side. That's as quiet as you'll be likely to get things.

dimensionless - you can easily construct (if you have woodworking tools) a wooden case from 2 layers of MDF (good density) for the entire CPU unit that will quiet down the HDD and PSU fans all in one. Just have a large air inlet and outlet arranged in a labyrinth fashion so the air needs to go back and forth. You'll want to put some positive flow fans (on the inside of the case) to force ventillation for the equipment inside, and then you can simply line the walls and turns in the labyrinth with acoustic foam or fiberglass insulation to absorb the sounds.

If you have the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest I believe its in the section on quieting down HVAC feeds.

Its also a technique used in some of the standalone 'quiet' equipment racks that cost big $$$.

Another possibility is build yourself a convection-based fanless computer and turn off the hard drives when recording. That requires a significant amount of ram, though.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I just checked one of my desktops, and the power supply fan seems loudest, followed by the fan over the microprocessor, and occasionally the HD's when writing.

Perhaps put the entire PC in a box/muffler which has good airflow and is lined with acoustic absorption material, e.g. some type of plastic.

Here are some examples - http://www.nonoise.co.uk/absorbers.htm (from UK though).

But - http://www.roushind.com/html/nvh_nvcpacoustic.htm

Absorption mat for PC's - http://www.xpcgear.com/akpaxmatacab.html

Good luck.

Thanks. That looks helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Another possibility is build yourself a convection-based fanless computer and turn off the hard drives when recording. That requires a significant amount of ram, though.

At the present time the sound of my fans is drowned out entirely by the sound of my hard drives. I can stop my front intake, rear exhaust and CPU fans while recording for 15-60 mins without overheating. I don't know how to control my PSU fan though. Fanless PSUs are an option if this becomes a problem.

I'm not sure if I can or want to stop my hard drives. Is there a software tool or configuration option that will do this in Windows?

turbo-1 said:
Do you have access to an adjoining room? If so, put your keyboard, mouse, display, etc on a table near the wall and run the cables through the wall to the PC on the other side. That's as quiet as you'll be likely to get things.

Could work, but it might be a little inconvenient. Also my mixer output is a 3ft unbalanced line, so that might have to be increased.

1. How does the material used for acoustically insulating hard drives work?

The material used for acoustically insulating hard drives works by absorbing sound waves and reducing their intensity. It is typically made of a dense material, such as rubber or silicone, that can effectively trap and dissipate sound energy.

2. What are the benefits of using acoustically insulating materials in hard drives?

Using acoustically insulating materials in hard drives can provide several benefits. These include reducing noise levels, protecting sensitive components from vibration damage, and improving overall performance and longevity of the hard drive.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using acoustically insulating materials in hard drives?

While acoustically insulating materials can provide many benefits, there can also be some drawbacks. These may include increased cost and potential interference with airflow and heat dissipation, which can affect the overall temperature and performance of the hard drive.

4. How do different types of acoustically insulating materials compare in terms of effectiveness?

There are various types of materials that can be used for acoustically insulating hard drives, and their effectiveness can vary. Generally, denser materials will be more effective at reducing noise levels, but they may also have a greater impact on airflow and heat dissipation.

5. Can acoustically insulating materials be used in any type of hard drive?

Yes, acoustically insulating materials can be used in various types of hard drives, including both solid-state drives (SSDs) and traditional hard disk drives (HDDs). However, the specific materials and methods used may differ depending on the design and components of the hard drive.