Was Hawaii Under Tsunami Warning During Tonga-Fiji Earthquake?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary, there was a 6.5 magnitude earthquake in the Tonga-Fiji region that sparked a tsunami alert. However, the quake turned out to be deeper than initially thought, resulting in minimal vertical displacements on the sea floor and no actual tsunami. Some people in Hawaii received tsunami warnings, but they were later found to be false alarms.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Tonga - Fiji Region - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tonga_earthquake

Tsuanmi Alert.

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,5244.msg59601#msg59601

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Yeah, I heard about this. I also heard there was no tsunami.

There was a tsunami concern because initial estimates indicated a shallow quake, but it was actually deeper, so by the time the energy got to the sea floor, the vertical displacements were not too severe.

Just today somebody was telling me that their sister called them, and said they were under a tsunami warning in Hawaii at the time of the earthquake. Oahu I think.

1. What is a Mag 8 Earthquake?

A Mag 8 Earthquake is a term used to describe an earthquake with a magnitude of 8 or higher on the Richter scale. This means it is a very powerful earthquake that can cause significant damage and destruction.

2. Where is Tonga and why is it prone to Mag 8 Earthquakes?

Tonga is an island nation located in the South Pacific Ocean. It is part of the "Ring of Fire", which is an area around the Pacific Ocean that is prone to frequent earthquakes and volcanic activity. Tonga is situated on top of active tectonic plates, making it vulnerable to earthquakes.

3. How often do Mag 8 Earthquakes occur in Tonga?

Mag 8 Earthquakes are rare, and they do not occur often in Tonga. On average, Tonga experiences a Mag 8 Earthquake once every 10 years. However, smaller earthquakes can occur more frequently.

4. What are the potential effects of a Mag 8 Earthquake in Tonga?

A Mag 8 Earthquake in Tonga can have devastating effects, including widespread damage to buildings and infrastructure, landslides, and tsunamis. It can also cause loss of life and displacement of communities.

5. How do scientists predict or prepare for a Mag 8 Earthquake in Tonga?

Unfortunately, there is no way to predict exactly when or where a Mag 8 Earthquake will occur. However, scientists can use data from previous earthquakes and geological studies to identify areas that are at higher risk. This information can be used to inform emergency preparedness and response plans in case of a future earthquake.