Solving Organic Chemistry: Acids & Bases Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker is facing in understanding organic chemistry concepts, particularly with acids and bases. They inquire about finding online tutorials and also mention the Lewis, LUMO and HOMO interaction model, as well as the Bronsted and Arrhenius definitions of acids and bases.
Dr. Nick
I have problem in complete understanding these concepts especialy in organic chemistry. Inorganic was simple HaON, HCl and similar, but now in organic chemistry Acids and Bases concept and fast determining of those is killing me :(.

Is there a place on internet with good tutorial covering this subject, good stereochemistry tutorial wouldn’t hurt me also ;). Than you very much!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Organic chemistry acid and base definition relies heavily on the Lewis concept, the LUMO and HOMO interaction model of describing acids and bases. But either of the Bronsted or Arrehnius definitions are sufficient in describing the mechanisms. I'm sure that you won't have too concerned about the matter.

I completely understand your struggle with understanding acids and bases in organic chemistry. It can be a challenging concept to grasp, especially when compared to inorganic chemistry. However, with practice and the right resources, you can definitely master it.

There are many online resources available that can help you understand acids and bases in organic chemistry. I would recommend checking out Khan Academy, ChemLibreTexts, and Master Organic Chemistry. These websites offer comprehensive tutorials, practice problems, and explanations that can help you better understand the concepts.

Additionally, you can also reach out to your professor or TA for extra help and clarification. They are there to assist you and can provide personalized guidance to help you understand the material.

As for stereochemistry, I would suggest looking for online videos or animations that can visually explain the concepts. Again, Khan Academy and Master Organic Chemistry have great resources for this topic.

Don't get discouraged, keep practicing and seeking help when needed. With persistence and the right resources, you will surely grasp these concepts and excel in organic chemistry. Best of luck!

1. What is the difference between an acid and a base in organic chemistry?

In organic chemistry, an acid is a compound that donates a proton (H+) and a base is a compound that accepts a proton. Acids are often referred to as proton donors and bases as proton acceptors.

2. How do you determine the strength of an acid or base in organic chemistry?

The strength of an acid or base is determined by its ability to donate or accept protons. This is measured by the acid or base's dissociation constant (Ka or Kb), with a higher value indicating a stronger acid or base.

3. What is the relationship between pH and pKa in organic chemistry?

pH and pKa are logarithmic scales used to measure the acidity or basicity of a solution. The lower the pH, the more acidic the solution is, and the lower the pKa, the stronger the acid. Similarly, the higher the pH, the more basic the solution is, and the higher the pKa, the stronger the base.

4. How do you calculate the pH of a solution in organic chemistry?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the equation pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. In the case of a strong acid or base, the pH can also be determined directly from the concentration of the acid or base.

5. How do you identify a strong or weak acid or base in organic chemistry?

A strong acid or base is one that is completely dissociated in solution, meaning all of the acid or base molecules have donated or accepted protons. A weak acid or base only partially dissociates in solution, resulting in a lower concentration of protons. The dissociation constant (Ka or Kb) can also be used to determine the strength of an acid or base.