RS422/RS485 Testing - Answers to Questions & Networking Forum Suggestions

• Thread starter Mike Phan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a RS422-to-RS232 converter to download source from a system and how to test its functionality. The conversation also mentions the use of a laptop for testing and the presence of a RTS controller. Finally, the individual asks for recommendations for free networking forums. The summary suggests obtaining more test equipment and provides a link to instructions for testing the converter.
Mike Phan
Hi all,

The system is RS422 and need a RS422-to-RS232 converter to download source from the system to the RS232 terminal.

Question # 1:
I usually use my laptop to test RS232 loopback. The laptop doesn't support RS422, so how to test to see if the RS422-to-RS232 is working?
(Sometimes, RS232-to-RS422 loopback works, but not on the contrary)

Question # 2:
Suppose the question1 is answered, and the system has a RTS controller. How to test with this controller?

Question # 3:
My major is not Networking and I don't think this is a Networking forum. So, if anyone knows free Networking forums, I would like to have the URL addresses.

Thank you for any help.

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need more test equipment. You need a functioning RS442 device ,and a RS232 devide, and a way to tell if they communicate directly.

But if you want to do it yourself, here is an instruction

https://www.ni.com/tutorial/3450/en/

What is the difference between RS422 and RS485?

Both RS422 and RS485 are serial communication standards used for transmitting data over long distances. The main difference between the two is that RS422 uses differential signaling, which means it uses two wires for transmitting and two wires for receiving data, while RS485 uses differential signaling as well as a multidrop configuration, allowing multiple devices to communicate on the same bus.

How do I test RS422/RS485 communication?

To test RS422/RS485 communication, you can use a multimeter or an oscilloscope to measure the voltage levels of the transmitted signals. Additionally, you can use specialized testing equipment, such as a protocol analyzer, to monitor and analyze the data being transmitted. It is also important to ensure that the correct wiring and termination resistors are used for the specific communication standard being tested.

What are the benefits of using RS422/RS485 for networking?

RS422/RS485 offers several benefits for networking, including long-distance communication (up to 4000 feet for RS422 and 4000 meters for RS485), low power consumption, and robust noise immunity. These standards also allow for the connection of multiple devices on a single communication line, making them ideal for industrial and commercial applications.

What are the common issues encountered when using RS422/RS485?

Some common issues encountered when using RS422/RS485 include incorrect wiring, improper termination, and incompatible devices. It is important to ensure that all devices on the network are using the same communication standard and have the correct wiring and termination. Additionally, noise and interference can also cause communication errors, so it is important to properly shield the communication lines.

What suggestions do networking forums have for troubleshooting RS422/RS485 issues?

Some suggestions from networking forums for troubleshooting RS422/RS485 issues include checking for proper wiring and termination, using a protocol analyzer to monitor the data being transmitted, and testing the communication with different devices. It is also recommended to consult the datasheets for the devices being used and ensuring that they are compatible with the chosen communication standard.