How Does Mass Affect Calculations in Non-conservative Force Problems?

• Thread starter kristen151027
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, this problem has a car ready to go down a hill. The height of the hill is 9.0 m, and the length of the slope is 11.0 m (hypotenuse). The frictional force opposing the car is 125 N, and the car must be going 12.5 m/s when it reaches the bottom. However, without knowing the mass of the car, I don't know how to solve the equation.
kristen151027
I'm having trouble with the following problem:

"There is a car ready to go down a hill. The height of the hill is 9.0 m, and the length of the slope is 11.0 m (hypotenuse). The frictional force opposing the car is 125 N, and the car must be going 12.5 m/s when it reaches the bottom. What is the initial speed required for the car to overcome friction and reach required speed at the bottom of the hill?"

I set up the following equation: KE_i + PE_i + (frictional force)(cos 180)(11.0 m) = KE_f

I don't know if I have the right setup because whenever I try to solve it, I run into trouble because there is no mass provided and I get an answer to be around 50 (it should be a little less than 3 m/s).

Physics news on Phys.org
You can express the frictional force in terms of the normal force. Mass will thus cancel out.

cos 180?? That's equal to -1 but why do you have that? There is no 180 angle in your problem. If you want the cosine of the angle the hill makes, then you can use the Pythagorean theorem to get the "near side".

By using the pythagorean theorem and the law of sines, I found the normal force to be approx. 5.17 N, which I multiplied by 11.0 m to get 56.92 J. Correct? Then I inserted that in the equation:

KE_i + PE_i + (normal force x hypotenuse) = KE_f

But I got the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

kristen151027 said:
I set up the following equation: KE_i + PE_i + (frictional force)(cos 180)(11.0 m) = KE_f

I see nothing wrong with this equation or your approach. (The "cos 180" may look strange, but it is correct since the friction force and displacement are 180 degrees apart.)

However I don't see how you can solve the problem without additional information, such as the mass of the car.

1. What are non-conservative forces?

Non-conservative forces are forces that do not follow the principle of energy conservation. This means that their work depends on the path taken by an object, rather than just the starting and ending points.

2. What are some examples of non-conservative forces?

Examples of non-conservative forces include friction, air resistance, and tension in a non-ideal string.

3. How do non-conservative forces affect an object's motion?

Non-conservative forces can change an object's kinetic energy, which in turn affects its velocity and direction of motion. They can also cause an object to lose energy and come to a stop.

4. Can non-conservative forces do work?

Yes, non-conservative forces can do work. However, the work done by these forces cannot be completely recovered as potential energy, unlike the work done by conservative forces.

5. How do non-conservative forces impact the total mechanical energy of a system?

Non-conservative forces can cause a decrease in the total mechanical energy of a system. This means that the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of all objects in the system decreases over time due to the work done by non-conservative forces.