Dry water - Sapphire/Novec fire suppressant

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire Water
In summary, there is a new material called Novec 1230 (or Sapphire by Ansul) created by 3M that is non-conducting and non-destructive. It looks and acts like water, but evaporates 25 times faster. It has similar properties to alcohol, such as being cold to the touch and evaporating quickly. It is not aromatically volatile like alcohol and is safe for use in large, open containers. However, there are some potential health and safety hazards, as it can be absorbed through the skin and can release HF when exposed to fire. Overall, it is a highly effective fire extinguishing agent, but caution should be taken when handling it.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I just saw an article on TV about this new material by 3M called Novec 1230 (or Sapphire by Ansul) that looks and acts much like water, but isn't.

It's non-conducting and non-destructive. I was wondering what this material would be like to handle. I wondered how hard it would be to tell that it was not water, by, say, weight, vicosity or other.

But they mention that it evaporates about 25x faster than water. It seems to me, that it would appear and behave very much like alcohol - it would be cold to the touch and would noticeably evaporate like alcohol does.

I wonder if it is aromatically volatile like alcohol (though they seem to have no problem with large, open containers of the stuff.)

Computer science news on Phys.org
http://tsp-europe.com/English/Products/Extinguishing/novec1230.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have added that I have been looking around a bit, but I haven't found anything that talks about what it's like to handle or touch.

Normal boiling point is 49 C --- that give you any hints? Be about like chloroform. Plus, it might be absorbed fairly rapidly through the skin --- plus, the health and safety hazards are downplayed for marketing purposes --- plus, you throw any fluorinated organic compound into a fire you get HF. Does it burn if mixed with air? No. Does it evaporate and carry off a lot of combustion heat? Yes. Enough to quench enough different fire types to make it useful? Yes. Do you want to be in the room with it? No.

1. What is dry water?

Dry water is a powder-like substance made up of tiny particles of silica coated with a special water-repelling material. It has the appearance of a fine white powder, but when mixed with air, it takes on the properties of a liquid.

2. How does dry water work as a fire suppressant?

Dry water works by coating the surface of a fire with a layer of tiny silica particles. This layer prevents oxygen from reaching the fire and helps to cool down the temperature, thus extinguishing the fire. It also helps to absorb heat and release water vapor, which further aids in suppressing the fire.

3. What is the difference between sapphire and Novec dry water?

Sapphire and Novec are two types of dry water that use different types of water-repelling materials. Sapphire dry water uses a hydrophobic silica coating, while Novec dry water uses a fluorocarbon coating. Both types are effective fire suppressants, but Novec is considered to be more environmentally friendly.

4. Is dry water safe to use?

Yes, dry water is considered to be safe to use as a fire suppressant. It is non-toxic and does not release harmful chemicals when used. However, it is important to follow proper handling and storage procedures to ensure its safety.

5. Are there any limitations to using dry water as a fire suppressant?

While dry water is effective in suppressing most types of fires, it may not be suitable for all situations. It is not recommended for use on electrical or chemical fires, and it may not be as effective on larger fires. It is important to assess the specific situation before using dry water as a fire suppressant.