Frist says Taliban can not be defeated. Bush say it will be defeated

• News
  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary, Frist said the Taliban can never be defeated militarily and Bush said we will defeat the Taliban.
edward
Is the Bush administration and the Senate on the same page? It appears that they aren't even in the same book.

October 3rd.
QALAT, Afghanistan -- U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said Monday that the Afghan war against Taliban guerrillas can never be won militarily and called for efforts to bring the Islamic militia and its supporters into the Afghan government.

The Tennessee Republican said he learned from briefings that Taliban fighters are too numerous and have too much popular support to be defeated on the battlefield.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0610030092oct03,1,2117792.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

September 29th
WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush, delivering the latest in a series of speeches on the war on terrorism, admitted to setbacks in Afghanistan on Friday, particularly in the training of police. But he predicted ultimate victory over resurgent Taliban forces there and against terrorists everywhere.
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,115329,00.html

Apparently Bush doesn't attend the same briefings. Our so called leaders are totally disfunctional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I completely agree with both these men. So I'd have to answer, yes; they are on the same page and it is the page I'm on.

LURCH said:
I completely agree with both these men. So I'd have to answer, yes; they are on the same page and it is the page I'm on.
Just so I am clear on your position.

Are you happy with the current administrations ME policy, and it's execution?

[edit]

So the slogan now is "Either your with us or your against us, unless you are the Taliban".

Or "We make no distinction between terrorists and the nations that shelter them, unless your Pakistan."

Care to explain why these exceptions?

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
LURCH said:

Hmm Frist said that it is impossible to defeat the Taliban just 5 days after Bush said we will defeat the Taliban. And you agree with both of them.:rolleyes: Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

Did you really read the post or are you being facetious?

Last edited:

1. Why does Frist say that the Taliban can not be defeated?

Frist's statement likely stems from the fact that the Taliban has been a persistent and resilient force in Afghanistan for decades. Despite efforts by various governments to defeat them, the Taliban has continued to maintain a presence and carry out attacks. Frist may also be referencing the complex political and social dynamics at play in Afghanistan, which make it difficult to completely eradicate the Taliban.

2. What is Bush's stance on defeating the Taliban?

Bush has expressed confidence in the ability of the United States and its allies to defeat the Taliban. He has stated that the Taliban's extremist ideology and use of violence will ultimately lead to their downfall. Additionally, Bush has emphasized the importance of building a stable and democratic Afghanistan in order to prevent the resurgence of groups like the Taliban.

3. How does the US plan to defeat the Taliban?

The US's strategy for defeating the Taliban involves a combination of military tactics and efforts to build a stable government and society in Afghanistan. This includes conducting targeted airstrikes, training and supporting Afghan security forces, and working with local leaders to address issues such as corruption and poverty that can contribute to the Taliban's influence.

4. Have there been any successful attempts to defeat the Taliban?

While the Taliban still maintains a presence in Afghanistan, there have been some successful efforts to weaken their control. In 2001, a US-led coalition overthrew the Taliban's regime and drove them out of major cities. Since then, there have been numerous military operations and initiatives aimed at reducing the Taliban's power and influence, though they have not been completely eliminated.

5. What are the potential consequences if the Taliban is or is not defeated?

If the Taliban is not defeated, they could continue to carry out attacks and destabilize the region, potentially leading to further violence and political instability. On the other hand, if the Taliban is defeated, it could pave the way for a more stable and democratic Afghanistan, but there is also the risk of other extremist groups rising up to fill the power vacuum. Additionally, there may be consequences for the US's reputation and credibility if they are unable to defeat the Taliban after nearly two decades of involvement in Afghanistan.