Engineering with a Physics degree

In summary, many physics majors can find jobs as engineers in the aerospace industry, without the need for a graduate degree in engineering. However, getting a graduate degree can be beneficial. It is rare for courses from a Bachelor's degree to transfer to a Master's program, but they can be used towards a PhD.
EP
What kind of jobs can a physics major get in the engineering? Or do you have to get a masters if one wanted to switch? I want to work in the aerospace industry with rockets or satellites. What are my options for entry level postions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people with BS degrees in physics work as engineers.

aerospace hires physics majors

As I have said over and over in this forum, the aerospace industry hires many physics majors at all levels as engineers. It is not necessary to get a graduate degree in engineering. However, getting a graduate degree (in whatever technical field) is not a bad idea.

Has anyone that already has a Physics degree then entered into an Engineering program? Do universities typically give credit for courses completed from the BSc?

I became a research engineer with the air force research labs with a B.S. in Physics, and they later paid my tuition for an M.S. in electro-optics (via a school of engineering).

Generally a course from a B.S. will not transfer to an M.S... Very VERY rarely one will... when you specifically took a course as a graduate level course (600, 700 or 6000/7000 number? depends on how the school does things.) Generally courses from an M.S. can be used towards a Ph.D., because all the courses are considered grad-level (but they can't be used for another Masters because of double counting concerns). Some of my M.S. in engineering worked as electives for coursework requirements for my Ph.D. in phys.

1. What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create useful structures, machines, and systems. Physics, on the other hand, is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. While engineers use physics concepts to solve real-world problems, physics is a broader field that explores the fundamental nature of the universe.

2. Can I become an engineer with a degree in physics?

Yes, it is possible to become an engineer with a degree in physics. Many engineering programs accept students with physics degrees, and some universities even offer combined programs where students can earn a degree in both physics and engineering. However, it is important to note that additional coursework or training may be required to fulfill the specific requirements for engineering licensure.

3. What skills do I need to be successful as an engineer with a physics degree?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics principles, successful engineers with a physics degree also possess skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, mathematical analysis, and communication. They must also be able to apply theoretical concepts to practical applications and work well in a team.

4. What types of engineering can I pursue with a physics degree?

A physics degree can be applied to various fields of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, aerospace, and materials engineering. Depending on the specific program and coursework, a physics degree can also prepare students for careers in fields such as nanotechnology, environmental engineering, or biomedical engineering.

5. What career opportunities are available for engineers with a physics degree?

Engineers with a physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, healthcare, and technology. They may also pursue research and development positions in government agencies, universities, or private companies. Additionally, engineers with a physics background can use their skills to pursue careers in fields such as finance, consulting, or data analysis.