Chemistry - Titration, Redox, Combining Equations

In summary, this conversation discusses a titration experiment involving reactions between iodate, iodide, and thiosulfate. The goal is to find the molar concentration of thiosulfate, which requires balancing the equations for each reaction and then combining them in a specific order. The key is to make sure the number of electrons is the same on opposite sides of the equations before combining them.
SA32
The attachment shows reactions involved in a titration experiment. In the first equation, iodate reacts with iodide in acidic solution to produce iodine. In the second equation, the iodine is titrated with thiosulfate.

I know the volume and molar concentration of iodate as well as the volume of thiosulfate as determined by the titration. I need to find the molar concentration of thiosulfate.

I think I need to balance each equation separately by breaking them into oxidation/reduction reactions.

I am then instructed to combine the balanced equations [1] and [2], in that order. Is this as simple as it sounds where I can just add them together, cancel out anything that appears on both sides of the equation, etc.? Why does order matter?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• chem.JPG
    chem.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be able to comibine anything until your electrons cancel out. You have to start with the half reactions and balance those. Then you have to make sure each reaction has the same number of electrons. Then you can cancel things out to get your final equation. It wouldn't be balanced if you didnt start from the start. (i don't mean that in any sarcasm)

I hope this makes sense

That makes sense... so I got to where I balanced equation [1] by writing half reactions and cancelling out electrons to get the balanced equation, say [1.5]. And I balanced [2] to get [2.5].

Now I am asked to combine [1.5] and [2.5], in that order. But I'm not sure how to do that? Can I just put all the reactants and all the products of both equations together and then cancel out things that appear on both sides?

You can do this when and only when your electrons are the same on the OPPOSITE sides of the equations. Just using caps for emphasis.

Thanks, I got the answer

SA32 said:
Thanks, I got the answer
Awesome :biggrin:

1. What is titration in chemistry?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by adding a known amount of a reagent with a known concentration to a solution with an unknown concentration. The point at which the reaction between the two solutions is complete is called the endpoint, and it is used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

2. How are redox reactions different from other types of reactions?

Redox reactions, also known as oxidation-reduction reactions, involve the transfer of electrons from one chemical species to another. This transfer of electrons results in a change in the oxidation state of the elements involved. In contrast, other types of reactions do not involve a change in oxidation state.

3. Can you explain the process of combining equations in chemistry?

Combining equations in chemistry involves balancing chemical equations and then adding them together to create a new equation. This is typically done when multiple reactions are occurring simultaneously, and their products and reactants can be combined to form one overall equation. The coefficients of each equation must be adjusted to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation.

4. What is the purpose of using indicators in titration?

Indicators are substances that change color in the presence of certain conditions, such as a change in pH. In titration, indicators are used to signal when the endpoint of the reaction has been reached. This is important because it allows for more accurate measurements and helps to prevent over or under-titration.

5. How does the molarity of a solution affect titration?

The molarity of a solution, which is the concentration of a solution expressed in moles per liter, affects titration because it determines the number of moles of the substance being titrated that are present in a given volume. As the molarity increases, there are more moles of the substance present, which can affect the volume and concentration of the titrant needed to reach the endpoint.