Which way is the current flowing?

• Thread starter Mesmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation is discussing a circuit and how the current is flowing. The speaker is having trouble understanding the given solution and is questioning the equations used. Another person points out a potential error in the solution, specifically with the conversion of units. The speaker also notes a discrepancy in the notation used for the current at two different nodes.
Mesmer
Please click on the image to make it bigger

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2218/thisoneuf5.th.jpg [Broken]

I'm having real difficulty picturing how the current is flowing in this circuit with the given solution.

From the 5v source into node [tex] v_2[/tex] is the current flowing from left to
right into this node?

These are the nodal equations that I would use to solve this problem, however they are wrong. Why?

At node two I would have the current flowing from left to right from the source into this node. I would have the 6mA flowing into this node. Finally I would have a current flowing out of this node from left to right. So I have 2 currents entering this node and one leaving

[tex] \frac{V_2-5}{200} + 6mA = \frac{V_0-V_2}{6000}[/tex]

at node two

[tex]\frac{V_0-V_2}{6000} = \frac{V_0-(-6)}{3000}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your equations

is it just your final result that is wrong? because if so, it's probably that (v2-5)/200 instead of (v2-5)/2000

oh and you converted kOhm to Ohm but didn't convert mA to A

Last edited:
if you are considering your equations to be wrong based on the solution that is provided...i believe there is an error in the solution provided

for the node in between r2 and r3, the solution provided said that the current coming into that node was (vo-v2)/r2 but for the previous node, that same current was expressed as (v2-vo)/r2

1. What is current flow?

Current flow refers to the movement of electric charge through a conductive material, such as a wire or circuit.

2. How is current flow measured?

Current flow is measured in units of amperes (A), which represents the amount of charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit of time.

3. How do you determine the direction of current flow?

The direction of current flow is determined by the flow of positive charge. In most cases, current flows from the positive terminal to the negative terminal of a power source.

4. What factors affect the direction of current flow?

The direction of current flow can be affected by the type of circuit, the voltage of the power source, and the presence of any resistors or other components in the circuit.

5. Can current flow in both directions?

Yes, current can flow in both directions in an alternating current (AC) circuit, where the flow of charge changes direction periodically. In a direct current (DC) circuit, the flow of current is in only one direction.