Help with a physics/calc problem involving work.

• Thread starter Migkiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of work in a Calc II class, specifically in relation to fluids. The equation for work involving fluids is W= Integral of F x D dx, where F is replaced by (Volume) x (Density). There is confusion over how (Volume) x (Density) can equal F, which is normally (mass) x (acceleration). However, in fluid mechanics, parameters are often described using volume density. The conversation ends with a mention of different textbooks being used for the class.
Migkiller
In my Calc II class, we are starting to learn applications regarding work. Now I know Work = the integral of (Force) x (Distance) dx, but the question involves a fluid. So the equation is
W= Integral of F x D dx, but we replace F= (Volume) x (Density). This is were I am confuse. How does (Volume) x (Density)=F?. Doesn't F=(mass) x (acceleration)? I don't see the relation between the F=V(density) and the F=ma.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't. Must be a mistake. Volume * Density = mass, not force.

Must be volume*density*acceleration of fluid.

chaoseverlasting said:
Must be volume*density*acceleration of fluid.

I too believe this must be the case. In fluid mechanics parameters are frequently described through their volume density.

I asked my teacher, and because it's a math class, she said that we are to assume that mass and weight are equal.

what book are you using?

my Stewart 5th ed they do Work problems involving liquids to be:

W=F*d=m*a*d=Density*Volume*acceleration*distance

I'm using a book called Calculus 8th ed. by Larson, Hostetler and Edwards.

1. What is the equation for work in physics?

The equation for work in physics is W = F x d, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents distance.

2. How do you calculate work using calculus?

To calculate work using calculus, you need to use the integral of the force function with respect to distance. This can be written as W = ∫F(x)dx, where F(x) is the force function and dx represents the change in distance.

3. What are the units for work?

The units for work are joules (J) in the SI system. In the imperial system, the units for work are foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. Can you explain the concept of work in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it is moved in the direction of the force. This means that work is only done when there is a displacement in the direction of the applied force.

5. How is work related to energy?

Work is directly related to energy, as it is a measure of the transfer of energy. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to that object, and when work is done by an object, energy is transferred away from that object.