Physics Problem. I must find acceleration.

In summary, the astronaut on the distant planet used the equation v=v0+at to determine the acceleration due to gravity by measuring the time and initial velocity of a rock thrown straight up. By using the known values of 15 m/s for the initial velocity and 20.0 s for the time it took for the rock to return to his hand, the astronaut was able to calculate the acceleration due to gravity to be -0.75 m/s^2.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

An astronaut on a distant planet wants to determine it's acceleration due to gravity. The Astronaut throws a rock straight up with a velocity of +15 m/s and measures a time of 20.0 s before the rock returns to his hand. What is the acceleration due to gravity on this planet.

Velocity=15 m/s
Time= 20.0s

Homework Equations

v=Vo + at
x=Vot + 1/2 a t^2
v^2= Vo^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue where to start. Give me a hint please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is what I did. a= (0 m/s - +15m/s)/20.0s=-.75 m/s^2.
I know I did it wrong.

Would this be right. a= (0 m/s - + 15 m/s)/ 30s -20 s= -1.5 m/s^2

Now the answer is right, but I added 10 more seconds because it said the guy measured the time before it reached his hand. That's how I got 30s as the final time.

I still did it wrong I believe.

afcwestwarrior said:

Homework Statement

An astronaut on a distant planet wants to determine it's acceleration due to gravity. The Astronaut throws a rock straight up with a velocity of +15 m/s and measures a time of 20.0 s before the rock returns to his hand. What is the acceleration due to gravity on this planet.

Velocity=15 m/s
Time= 20.0s

Homework Equations

v=Vo + at
x=Vot + 1/2 a t^2
v^2= Vo^2 + 2ax

You only need to use that first "Relevant Equation" namely,
[tex]
v=v_0+at
[/tex]

You have explicitly been given the value of [tex]v_0[/tex]. Next ask yourself: What is the velocity of the rock when it returns to the astronaut's hand? You should be able to guess the answer by symmetry. And choose the sign opposite of the initial velocity. Thus you will know [tex]v[/tex] in the above equation.

You have also explicitly been given the value of [tex]t[/tex].

So now you may simply solve for [tex]a[/tex] in terms of known quantities. Good luck.

Adam

Last edited:
afcwestwarrior said:

Homework Statement

Velocity=15 m/s
Time= 20.0s

Homework Equations

v=Vo + at
x=Vot + 1/2 a t^2
v^2= Vo^2 + 2ax

You only need to use that first "Relevant Equation" namely,
[tex]
v=v_0+at
[/tex]

You have explicitly been given the value of [tex]v_0[/tex]. Next ask yourself: What is the velocity of the rock when it returns to the astronaut's hand? You should be able to guess the answer by symmetry. And choose the sign opposite of the initial velocity. Thus you will know [tex]v[/tex] in the above equation.

You have also explicitly been given the value of [tex]t[/tex].

So now you may simply solve for [tex]a[/tex] in terms of known quantities. Good luck,

Adam

Last edited:
Ok so this problem was simple. Thanks for the explanation. I knew I was using the right equation, but I knew I had the wrong numbers in their.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you divide the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What are the units of acceleration?

The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s²) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h²).

How does acceleration relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass.

What factors can affect acceleration?

Acceleration can be affected by factors such as the net force applied to an object, the mass of the object, and any opposing forces such as friction. The direction of the net force also plays a role in determining the direction of acceleration.