Algebraic Question: e(e*a) - e x (e x a) = 3a?

• Thread starter KleZMeR
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with an algebra problem involving matrix operations and vector identities. They are specifically looking for an explanation of why their solution is not producing the desired result. They also question why their post was moved and mention using vector identities as a possible solution.
KleZMeR
ok, this is my first post here so i don't know what kind of questions i can ask, so i'll fire away...
e is unit vector, I'm showing a = e(e*a) - e x (e x a), where * is the dot-product and x is the cross product, i keep getting 3a, not a. Is my algebra off or?...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work so we can see where you might be going wrong?

well that's a lot of stuff, ok i'll try, these are simple matrix operations, i think my positive/negative alternating on row operations are ok when finding det a, but still, the rhs is where the problem must be because e(e*a)=a, right?? so

a= c1x + c2y + c3z

and taking both cross products, e x (e x a), because all scalars of e = 1 i get

c1 + c2 + c3 - ((c2-c1) - (c1-c3))x = 3c1
c1 + c2 + c3 - ((c3-c2) - (c2-c1))y = 3c2
c1 + c2 + c3 - ((c1-c3) - (c3-c2))z = 3c3

so is this not =3a ??

why was this question moved? did i post it in the wrong place?

Use vector identities instead.

a x (b x c) = (a.c)b - (a.b)c

thanks

What does the equation e(e*a) - e x (e x a) = 3a represent?

This equation represents an algebraic question where e and a are variables and 3a is a constant value.

What is the purpose of using variables in algebraic equations?

Variables are used in algebraic equations to represent unknown quantities that can have different values. This allows for solving the equation and finding the value of the variable.

What does the solution to this equation tell us?

The solution to this equation tells us the specific value of the variable a that satisfies the equation. It also shows the relationship between the variables and how they are related to the constant value.

What methods can be used to solve this equation?

This equation can be solved using various algebraic methods such as simplification, substitution, or elimination. It can also be solved graphically or numerically using a calculator or computer program.

Why is algebra important in scientific research?

Algebra is important in scientific research because it allows for the representation and manipulation of variables and equations. This is essential in analyzing data, making predictions, and understanding relationships between different factors in scientific phenomena.