Solve Physics Ramp Problem: Acceleration of Box

In summary, the student is pulling a box up an incline with a force of 180 N and at an angle of 30 degrees above the line of the incline. The box has a mass of 28 kg and a coefficient of friction of 0.299. Using the equation Fnet = ma, the student solves for the force of friction and the acceleration of the box. However, they forgot to include the force of gravity in their original equation, which results in an incorrect answer. The correct answer, taking into account the force of gravity, is 2.59 m/s^2.
ehump20

Homework Statement

A student pulls on a box up an incline of 10 degrees. The student pulls with a force of 180 N directed at 30 degrees above the line of the incline. The box has a mass of 28 kg, and the coefficient of friction between the box and floor is 0.299. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

What is the acceleration of the box?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

From Fnet = ma I get:
Fp - Ffr = ma, where Fp is the force of the person pulling and Ffr is the force of friction resisting.

Ffr = MkFn
Ffr = (.299)(Fn)

I then solved for Fn:
Fn = mg/cos10
Fn = (28)(9.8) / cos10
Fn = 278.63

So Ffr = (.299)(278.63)
Ffr = 83.31 N

So we have Fp - Ffr = ma,
so Fp - 83.31 = (28)a

We need Fp.
Fp = cos30 * 180
Fp = 155.88

So Fp - 83.31 = (28)a,
so 155.88 - 83.31 = (28)a

Solving for a i get a = 2.59 m/s^2

I submitted this to my online homework system and it said the answer was wrong. Where did I go wrong?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...you forgot mgsin(theta) in your original "Fnet" equation. Include mgsin(theta) and you should get the acceleration. --------> ma = T - F - mgsin(theta)

Your calculations and approach seem correct. However, it is possible that the online homework system is expecting the answer to be rounded to a certain number of significant figures. It is also possible that there is a rounding error in the system. I would recommend double checking your calculations and trying again, or reaching out to your instructor for clarification on the expected answer format.

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a box on a ramp?

The formula for calculating acceleration on a ramp is a = g*sin(theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s^2) and theta is the angle of the ramp.

2. How do you determine the mass of the box in a ramp problem?

The mass of the box can be determined by using the formula F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the box and a is the acceleration calculated from the ramp problem. Rearranging the formula to m = F/a will give you the mass of the box.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the acceleration of the box?

The angle of the ramp directly affects the acceleration of the box. As the angle of the ramp increases, the acceleration of the box will also increase. This is because the steeper the ramp, the more the force of gravity is acting on the box, resulting in a larger acceleration.

4. What is the difference between acceleration on a ramp and acceleration on a flat surface?

The main difference between acceleration on a ramp and on a flat surface is the presence of an additional force - the force of gravity. On a flat surface, the only force acting on an object is the force applied by an external agent, while on a ramp, the force of gravity is also acting on the object, resulting in a different acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of the box on a ramp be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of the box on a ramp can be negative. This would mean that the box is decelerating or slowing down as it moves up the ramp. This can occur if the force of friction or another external force is acting against the motion of the box.