How is momentum conserved in a two-dimensional collision?

• Thread starter Dinkydau444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of two objects with different masses and velocities before and after a collision. A diagram is used to show the angles and paths of the objects, and the conservation of momentum and energy are used to determine the velocity of the second object after the collision. The initial labeling of the axes is corrected during the conversation.
Dinkydau444
So this is going to be very hard to explain without a diagram, so i will try to include one as best as i can.

One object with mass 4 kg is traveling at 10 m/s. This object is in quadrant II of an x,y graph and is traveling toward the origin at 30 degrees above the negative x axis. The second object has mass 6 kg aand is traveling straight up the y axis. After the collision the first object (still with mass 4 kg) travels at 45 degrees below the negative x-axis at a speed of 8 m/s. The object with mass 6 kg is now traveling at some angle above the positive x-axis with some velocity. I have to find both the velocity and the direction this object is moving in
...x
..4kg...|
...O...|
...30...\...|
________\_|__________y
...|
..45..4kg.O.|
...8.m/s./...|
.../...|

This diagram shows how object 1 moves before (quadrant II) and after (Quadrant III)

the 30 and 45 are the angles of path the object travels in relation to the negative x axis

So object two with mass 6 kg and speed 8 m/s travels from below the x-axis straight up along the y-axis and impacts at the origin, then it travels diagonally right/upward into quadrant I

any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum in two directions.

I think you have marked the axis wrongly. Interchange x and y letters.
Now take the x-component two momentums before collision and after collision and equate them. Similarly take the y-components of two momentums before collision and after collision and equate If needed use the conservation of energy.Solve the equations to get the velocity of the second body.

Yeah, i don't know why i labeled them incorrectly...sorry about that

and thank you very much, i think i understand now

1. What is momentum in two directions?

Momentum in two directions is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object in both the horizontal and vertical directions. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's velocity.

2. How is momentum in two directions calculated?

To calculate momentum in two directions, you need to know the mass and velocity of the object in both the horizontal and vertical directions. The formula for momentum in two directions is: p = mv + mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the conservation of momentum in two directions?

The conservation of momentum in two directions states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal forces or external forces acting on the system. This means that in a collision or explosion, the total momentum of the objects involved will remain the same.

4. How does momentum in two directions relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Momentum in two directions is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Momentum in two directions measures the motion of an object and can help determine the external forces acting on it. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of momentum in two directions, we use velocity rather than acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum in two directions?

Some real-life examples of momentum in two directions are a ball being thrown at an angle, a car driving up and down a hill, and a rocket launching into space. In each of these examples, there is both horizontal and vertical motion, and the object's momentum in both directions is important to consider for understanding and predicting its motion.