Question about ELectric field and electric potential

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the electric potential and electric field on points along the X-axis when there is an electric dipole in the Y-axis. The person asking the question wants to know if it is possible for the electric potential and electric field to be 0 and is asking for help with the calculation. The response suggests consulting course materials for guidance.
yosite
I have a question.. between electric dipole in Y-axis... will the electric potential and electric field on some points along X-axis can be 0?? if this really can... can you show me the calculation or prove to get this?? THX

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try calculating it yourself?

Because I don't know how... using what formula to count?... If I'm able to do it. Why I post and ask here...

yosite said:
Because I don't know how... using what formula to count?... If I'm able to do it. Why I post and ask here...
What is an electric dipole? Once you know what a dipole is, you can calculate the electric field using Coulomb's law. Consult your course text or lecture notes.

1. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

The electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle in an electric field. It is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C). Electric potential, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of work needed to move a charged particle from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in units of volts (V).

2. How are electric field and electric potential related?

Electric field and electric potential are related by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential.

3. Can the electric field and electric potential be zero at the same point?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field and electric potential to be zero at the same point. This can occur if there is no net charge present at that point, or if the electric field and electric potential from different sources cancel each other out.

4. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated using the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. This equation assumes a point charge, but for more complex systems, the electric potential can be calculated by adding the individual potentials from each charge.

5. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V). However, it can also be expressed in joules per coulomb (J/C), as it is a measure of energy per unit charge.