What is Ann's final position in different reference frames?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what Ann's final position would be in her own frame and in Betty's frame, given instructions for her to walk 1km East, 2km North, and 3km East. The question also raises the topic of different reference frames and their relative velocities. There is some confusion and discussion about the need for a given velocity in order to solve the problem accurately.
Sanjay87
Hi,

I'm quite new to relativity and I'm just going through some problems from past exam papers to prepare for an upcoming subject. The following question has me a little stumped:

Betty is at the origin of her frame of reference. At a certain point in time, this also corresponds to the origin of Ann's reference frame. Betty gives Ann the following instructions: walk 1km East, 2km North and 3km East. (there is an x-y graph pictured, indicating that 1km East corresponds to local co-ordinates (1,0) and 1km North corresponds to local co-ordinates (0,1)). The questions are - What is Ann's final position in her own frame? What is Ann's final position in Betty's frame?

Presumably, Ann and Betty are in different reference frames S and S' respectively, with S' moving at constant speed v relative to S.

I hope somebody can help me.

Kind Regards,
George

Physics news on Phys.org
Sanjay87 said:
Betty gives Ann the following instructions: walk 1km East, 2km North and 3km East. (there is an x-y graph pictured, indicating that 1km East corresponds to local co-ordinates (1,0) and 1km North corresponds to local co-ordinates (0,1)). The questions are - What is Ann's final position in her own frame? What is Ann's final position in Betty's frame?

I suspect that Ann's position within her own frame is trivial (since she is the origin of her own frame), but you should note that directions of "East" and "North" generally refer to angular directions on a (presumably) spherical surface.

Regards,

Bill

Presumably, Ann and Betty are in different reference frames S and S' respectively, with S' moving at constant speed v relative to S.
Why 'presumably' ? If you don't have details of their relative velocities, how can the problem be solved ?

Mentz114 said:
Why 'presumably' ? If you don't have details of their relative velocities, how can the problem be solved ?

heh-heh..

What if Betty told Ann how fast to walk?:smile:

I think the relations regarding N/E and x,y imply that Betty and Ann have the same velocity with respect to something infinitely far away.

Then again, if Betty told Ann to change her altitude, there would be a problem...

Regards,

Bill

Mentz114 said:

This is why the question has stumped me. The way the question is worded, Betty and Ann are in different reference frames which must be moving at some velocity relative to each other, and perhaps they expect the answer to be in the form of variables - e.g. x' = 2+vt. Or have I misunderstood the question (I suspect that I have misunderstood it).

Hi again,

Using the Galilean transformations, I would say that in Betty's frame, Ann is at position (-2+vt, 2). But it worries me that no velocity has been given. The response from Antenna Guy makes sense so in that case both parties would agree that Ann is at (-2,2). What do you think?

1. What is a reference frame?

A reference frame is a set of coordinate axes that are used to describe the position and motion of objects. It is an essential concept in physics and is used to understand the laws of motion.

2. How is a reference frame determined?

A reference frame is determined by choosing a fixed point in space and defining a set of axes relative to that point. This point is usually referred to as the origin, and the axes are typically orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other.

3. What is the difference between an inertial and non-inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is one in which Newton's laws of motion hold true, meaning that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an external force. A non-inertial reference frame is one in which these laws do not hold true, usually due to the influence of an external force or acceleration.

4. Can a reference frame be moving?

Yes, a reference frame can be moving. In fact, all reference frames are moving relative to each other. It is important to specify the reference frame when describing the position or motion of an object.

5. How does a reference frame affect measurements?

The choice of reference frame can greatly affect the measurements of an object's position and motion. In an inertial reference frame, measurements will be more accurate and consistent, while in a non-inertial reference frame, they may be affected by external forces or accelerations.