Stripping Electrons: Can Plates Charge in Open Air?

• Thread starter kaosAD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of charging up two conducting plates to several hundred thousand kiloVolts and whether the positive plate can strip electrons from air molecules without causing electrical sparks between the plates. The concept of a spark being caused by discharge through ionized air is also mentioned, along with the idea of a corona discharge not being considered a spark. The conversation also considers the potential for a charged plate to ionize air without a spark between the plates if the air has a charge relative to the plate and the potential is not high enough for a full breakdown. The speaker invites corrections or clarifications and apologizes if their explanation is too simplistic.
kaosAD
Imagine charging up two conducting plates, placed nowhere near each other in an open air, to several hundred thousand kiloVolts. Can the positive plate strips off electrons from the air molecules and thus ionizing them without any event of electrical sparks between the two plates?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is just how a spark occurs, by discharge through the ionized air.

Hello!

I may be going out of my place by making this my first post, but here goes. Please correct me if I am incorrect or my statements could be better said another way.

You will still have charge carries near the positive plate, in this they are the ions left over.
Your post made me think of a corona discharge, which most people would not call a 'spark' , but there is still a current flowing, although it is small relative to a full blown arc.

Sorry, that was just a very quick reply, and I don't seem able to edit it.

It would be technically possible for a charged plate to ionize air without a spark between the plates, provided that the air has a charge relative to the plate and that the potential is not enough for a full breakdown between the two plates.

Again, I wish for corrections if I have stated something incorrect, and I do apologize if this explanation is way too simple.

1. What is Stripping Electrons?

Stripping electrons refers to the process of removing electrons from an atom or molecule. This can occur through various methods, such as collisions with other particles or exposure to certain types of radiation.

2. How do Plates Charge in Open Air?

When two metal plates are placed in open air, they can charge by stripping electrons from the air molecules surrounding them. This occurs due to a difference in electric potential between the plates, causing the movement of electrons from one plate to the other.

3. Why do Plates Charge in Open Air?

Plates charge in open air due to the presence of electric fields. When two plates are in close proximity, the electric field between them causes the electrons in the surrounding air molecules to be stripped and move towards the positively charged plate.

4. What are the Applications of Stripping Electrons in Plates?

Stripping electrons in plates can have various applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control or in cathode ray tubes for televisions. It can also be used in particle accelerators for scientific research.

5. Are there any Safety Concerns with Stripping Electrons in Plates?

Stripping electrons in plates can generate high voltages and electric fields, which can be hazardous if not handled properly. Safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and following proper procedures, should be taken when working with charged plates.