Calculate Torsional Shear Stress: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about determining the distribution of shear and angular deflection in a circular shaft due to torsion. The starting points and stages of the problem are needed, and the community is being asked for help with a deadline of next Wednesday. The specific tasks mentioned are calculating the maximum shear stress, maximum shear strain, and angle of twist in the shaft. Additional information provided includes values for force, distance, power, and rotational speed.
ForgottenMemo
I require some help please.

I know :

Rule: T/J = t/r = GΘ/L

L = length = 0.33
r = radius = 0.025
D = diameter = 0.5

The starting points and stages would help. I have to hand this in next wednesday, i thought i would ask the community.

------
Determine the distribution of shear and angular deflection due to torsion in a circular shafts.

1-Calculate the maximum shear stress produced in the shaft due to torsion.
2- Calculate the maximum shear strain
3-Calculate the angle of twist between the two pulleys.

F1 (N) 2500
F2(N) 2500
A (m) 0.1
B (m) 0.15
C (m) 0.08
D (m) 0.05
P (kw) 2
N (rev/min) 300

----

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forum rules require some attempt.

What is torsional shear stress?

Torsional shear stress is the stress that occurs in a material when it is subjected to a twisting force.

How do you calculate torsional shear stress?

To calculate torsional shear stress, you will need to know the applied torque, the distance from the center of the shaft to the point where the stress is being calculated, and the polar moment of inertia of the shaft. The formula for torsional shear stress is τ = (T*r)/J, where τ is the torsional shear stress, T is the applied torque, r is the distance from the center, and J is the polar moment of inertia.

What is the difference between torsional shear stress and normal stress?

Torsional shear stress is a type of stress that occurs in materials when they are subjected to a twisting force, while normal stress is a type of stress that occurs in materials when they are subjected to a direct force. Torsional shear stress causes materials to twist and deform, while normal stress causes materials to stretch or compress.

Why is calculating torsional shear stress important?

Calculating torsional shear stress is important because it helps engineers and scientists determine the maximum amount of torque that a material can withstand before it begins to twist and deform. This information is crucial in designing and building structures and machines that can withstand the forces they will be subjected to.

What factors can affect torsional shear stress?

There are several factors that can affect torsional shear stress, including the applied torque, the distance from the center of the shaft, the material properties of the shaft, and the shape and size of the shaft. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact torsional shear stress.