How Can You Shave Without Cutting Yourself?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary, people generally recommend electric shavers for people who will need to shave for the rest of their life, as they tend to be more reliable than blades.
tgt
Two questions:

1. How to shave? cream on shaver then shave or cream on face then shave?

2. I just cut my lip and blood comes out easily. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. foam on face.
2. put a piece on tissue on it.

wolram said:
1. foam on face.
2. put a piece on tissue on it.
Let's avoid infection.
1. foam on face
2. rubbing alcohol on cut
3. stifle scream
4. put a piece of tissue on it.

tgt said:
Two questions:

I take it you're young and just learning? Do you have an older man you can ask to show you? If you don't have a father around, perhaps an uncle, older cousin, best friend's father...

Just be lucky you don't have to shave your armpits. Getting a nick under there...OUCH :bugeye: !

lisab said:
Just be lucky you don't have to shave your armpits. Getting a nick under there...OUCH :bugeye: !

I've never managed to nick my armpits. I only get myself along the wrinkly skin on the back of the ankle when I'm rushing. Faces seem a bit trickier though...or maybe guys are just wimpier :biggrin:.

tgt said:
Two questions:

one word:

Norelco

Moonbear said:
I've never managed to nick my armpits. I only get myself along the wrinkly skin on the back of the ankle when I'm rushing. Faces seem a bit trickier though...or maybe guys are just wimpier :biggrin:.
There is some tricky skin on the neck under the jaw and some other places that are ready-made for nicks.

Moonbear said:

Nah, we just bleed all over everything in bathroom.

Styptic pencil.

Stings.

Stops the bleeding.

Make sure you always have a sharp blade, a dull blade will usually cause more cuts, but a new blade will too since you just used a dull one and were pressing too hard.

The rule is to always shave in the direction that the hair is growing. That doesn't work for me. On the underside of my chin, I have to shave forward against the grain. What's driving me nuts now is that W bought me a disposable (but she doesn't know it's disposable) electric razor for Xmas. I therefore have to 'shave' with this thing, which is as useless as tits on a nun. When she's out of town, as currently, I sneak out the good old Schick and foam up.

Dr Transport said:
Nah, we just bleed all over everything in bathroom.

I had a reply for that, but it's probably too disgusting to actually write out.

You could always grow a beard. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:

whisper it then

Don't be shy, Moonie. Spill, already...

rewebster said:
Norelco

what is that?

Do people recommend an electric shaver as a man will need to shave for the rest of his life, if he dosen't like facial hair?

So why would someone stick with cream and blade for a long period of time, if cost isn't an issue for him.

tgt said:
what is that?
An electric shaver.

tgt said:
what is that?
Its a triple head electric shaver.

Dang, Evo beat me to it. But as I recall, Santa uses a electric shaver, I guess when his sled is in the shop.

Are you using those cheapo BICs?

My Gillette Fusion hasn't really failed me (I only grow a goatee, but far from thick) and it's hard to get a cut as long as you have some sort of foam/gel since the blade bends (unlike the cheap BICs).

You can get an electric one if you tend to grow thick hair (something I fortunately don't have to experience).

hypatia said:
Dang, Evo beat me to it. But as I recall, Santa uses a electric shaver, I guess when his sled is in the shop.
That commercial signals the beginning of the Christmas season for me. I am glad that they have kept that going for so many years. Noelco.

BryanP said:
Are you using those cheapo BICs?

My Gillette Fusion hasn't really failed me (I only grow a goatee, but far from thick) and it's hard to get a cut as long as you have some sort of foam/gel since the blade bends (unlike the cheap BICs).

You can get an electric one if you tend to grow thick hair (something I fortunately don't have to experience).

Those BICs, exactly.

Danger said:
Don't be shy, Moonie. Spill, already...

ROFL.

Ah, a blade is a blade. I used the Schick whatever, with the whisker ejector function, which suited me very well... until they stopped selling refills for them. Then I switched to the Gillette system, because it was the only one that worked. (Incidentally, I have no problem with the Bics other than them clogging up too quickly. They're good blades.)

Heh, they're just more forgiving to the ones who aren't good at pivoting the wrist around bends.

The heads will angle for you so you don't accidently dig into the skin (which is why some get cut).

wolram said:
ROFL.

I think that the problem here is that she doesn't really want to display that heart-shaped patch... :uhh:

I have to use the disposable single blade Bumpfighter razors since my skin is so sensitive. If I use anything else, even when going with the grain, I break out like I am 12 all over again. The added bonus is that they're VERY cheap and they don't cut the hair too low... which can potentially cause ingrown hairs.

Danger said:
The rule is to always shave in the direction that the hair is growing. That doesn't work for me. On the underside of my chin, I have to shave forward against the grain. What's driving me nuts now is that W bought me a disposable (but she doesn't know it's disposable) electric razor for Xmas. I therefore have to 'shave' with this thing, which is as useless as tits on a nun. When she's out of town, as currently, I sneak out the good old Schick and foam up.

It's disposable! You're missing your escape route here. Tell her "oh it's disposable", throw it away, and be done with this madness!

Hammer them down and bite them off from the inside.
-Or-
1. Toss that rusty single blade Bic you've been using since 2006, Use a fresh sharp razor. The current generation of razors have at least a dozen blades and are longer than they are wide.
2. Slowly scrape the vorpal razor across the tender, nick prone skin of your face (etc.) in rapid strokes.
3. Use long strokes for the flat areas, longer ones for the nooks and crannies.
4. A registered nurse should be on call during this dangerous phase of your short life.
5. Keep the door closed. No one wants to hear a grown man cry.
6. Apply aftershave. I know it stinks, but according to something I saw on TV, the chicks really dig it. Also, the alcohol will help with the infection.
7. FInally, apply lots of shave cream. It's there so you can cover the nicks, scrapes, potholes and missed areas, so use it.

I use scissors! ... but just to trim my beard.

When I used to shave, at one point I switched to something called "Edge ProGel" for shaving cream. It works so-o-o-o much better than the cheap Barbasol stuff I'd been using, but probably most anything else does too.

tgt said:
Two questions:

Use tweezers

brewnog said:
It's disposable! You're missing your escape route here. Tell her "oh it's disposable", throw it away, and be done with this madness!

I can't do that. :frown:
It was a gift, and she always means well. I also don't want her to find out that my new MacBook can play DVD's. She gave me portable DVD player for Xmas as well; it would break her heart if she knew that I don't need it any more.

Moonbear said:

You could always grow a beard. :biggrin:

Go ahead, we can handle it...

I found that shaving cream isn't nearly as good as gel, but the best stuff I ever found was Trader Joe's shaving cream, it's more like a lotion.

Danger said:
I can't do that. :frown:
It was a gift, and she always means well. I also don't want her to find out that my new MacBook can play DVD's. She gave me portable DVD player for Xmas as well; it would break her heart if she knew that I don't need it any more.

Wow! How caring you are!
If it was me I'd tell that person that since this gift is so dear to me and I am afraid of damaging it, I'm not going to use it!o:)

If you get an electric razor, just remember to buy new blades once in a while. Eventually they transition from cutting your whiskers to ripping them out by the roots. An electric razor with dull blades is worse than duct tape.

In fact, you could just use duct tape. It's a little like those waxing strips but without the mess. Just make it a manly scream - kind of like the ones in martial arts films when they break a brick with their forehead.

<h2>1. How can I prevent getting cuts while shaving?</h2><p>To prevent getting cuts while shaving, make sure you have a sharp razor and use shaving cream or gel to provide a smooth surface for the razor to glide on. Also, be sure to shave in the direction of hair growth and avoid applying too much pressure.</p><h2>2. Is it better to shave with a manual razor or an electric razor?</h2><p>Both manual and electric razors can be used to shave without cutting yourself. However, electric razors are generally considered to be safer as they have a protective guard that prevents the blades from coming in direct contact with the skin.</p><h2>3. What is the best time to shave without getting cuts?</h2><p>The best time to shave is after a warm shower or bath. The warm water and steam will open up your pores and soften the hair, making it easier to shave without causing cuts or irritation.</p><h2>4. How can I soothe a cut while shaving?</h2><p>If you do happen to get a cut while shaving, rinse the area with cold water to stop the bleeding. Then, apply a small amount of aftershave or aloe vera gel to soothe the skin. If the cut is deep or does not stop bleeding, seek medical attention.</p><h2>5. Can shaving too often cause cuts?</h2><p>Shaving too often can increase the chances of getting cuts, as it can irritate the skin and make it more sensitive. It is recommended to shave every 1-3 days to allow the skin to heal and prevent cuts.</p>

1. How can I prevent getting cuts while shaving?

To prevent getting cuts while shaving, make sure you have a sharp razor and use shaving cream or gel to provide a smooth surface for the razor to glide on. Also, be sure to shave in the direction of hair growth and avoid applying too much pressure.

2. Is it better to shave with a manual razor or an electric razor?

Both manual and electric razors can be used to shave without cutting yourself. However, electric razors are generally considered to be safer as they have a protective guard that prevents the blades from coming in direct contact with the skin.

3. What is the best time to shave without getting cuts?

The best time to shave is after a warm shower or bath. The warm water and steam will open up your pores and soften the hair, making it easier to shave without causing cuts or irritation.

4. How can I soothe a cut while shaving?

If you do happen to get a cut while shaving, rinse the area with cold water to stop the bleeding. Then, apply a small amount of aftershave or aloe vera gel to soothe the skin. If the cut is deep or does not stop bleeding, seek medical attention.

5. Can shaving too often cause cuts?

Shaving too often can increase the chances of getting cuts, as it can irritate the skin and make it more sensitive. It is recommended to shave every 1-3 days to allow the skin to heal and prevent cuts.