Translating integration domain

In summary, this conversation discusses a continuous function f:\mathbb{R}^3\to\mathbb{R}, a fixed point x_0\in\mathbb{R}^3, a fixed radius r>0, and a fixed vector n\in\mathbb{R}^3 with |n|=1. The question at hand is whether the equation \int\limits_{B(x_0 + \alpha n, r)} d^3x\; f(x) \;=\; \int\limits_{B(x_0, r)} d^3x\; f(x) \;+\; \frac{\alpha}{r} \int\limits_{\partial B(x
jostpuur
If [tex]f:\mathbb{R}^3\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] is a continuous function, [tex]x_0\in\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] a fixed point, [tex]r>0[/tex] a fixed radius, and [tex]n\in\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] a fixed vector satisfying [tex]|n|=1[/tex], then is the equation

[tex]
\int\limits_{B(x_0 + \alpha n, r)} d^3x\; f(x) \;=\; \int\limits_{B(x_0, r)} d^3x\; f(x) \;+\; \frac{\alpha}{r} \int\limits_{\partial B(x_0,r)} d^2x\; ((x-x_0)\cdot n) f(x) \;+\; O(\alpha^2),\quad\quad\alpha\in\mathbb{R}
[/tex]

true? I convinced myself of this somehow, but I'm still feeling unsure. I don't know how to deal with equations like this rigorously. There are other problems of similar nature, where the integration domain is changed a little bit, and then it is somehow possible to write the change as a functional of the restriction of the integrand onto the boundary.

The B notation means the ball

[tex]
B(x_0,r) = \{x\in\mathbb{R}^3\;|\;|x-x_0|<r\},
[/tex]

and [tex]\partial[/tex] is the boundary,

[tex]
\partial B(x_0,r) = \{x\in\mathbb{R}^3\;|\;|x-x_0|=r\}.
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Later in my calculations I encountered a situation where some factor, that was supposed to be 1, was 3/2. I cannot yet know where the mistake is, but this formula could be one potential place for it.

1. What is the purpose of translating integration domain?

Translating integration domain is the process of changing the boundaries of an integral to make it easier to solve. It allows for a more efficient and accurate calculation of an integral by transforming it into a simpler form.

2. How is translating integration domain different from traditional integration?

Traditional integration involves finding the area under a curve within a fixed interval. Translating integration domain, on the other hand, involves changing the limits of integration to simplify the integral before solving it.

3. What are some common techniques used for translating integration domain?

Some common techniques for translating integration domain include substitution, partial fraction decomposition, and trigonometric identities. These methods allow for the transformation of the integral into a more manageable form.

4. What are the benefits of translating integration domain?

The main benefit of translating integration domain is that it makes solving integrals easier and more accurate. It also allows for the use of different techniques that may not be applicable to the original integral, leading to a more efficient solution.

5. Can translating integration domain be used for all types of integrals?

Yes, translating integration domain can be used for all types of integrals. However, it may not always be necessary or beneficial for simpler integrals. It is most commonly used for complex integrals that cannot be easily solved by traditional methods.