How far does the block travel up the incline before sliding back down?

In summary, a 2.00-kg block is pushed against a spring with negligible mass and force constant k = 400 N/m, compressing it 0.220 m. When the block is released, it moves along a frictionless, horizontal surface and then up a frictionless incline with slope of 37 degrees. The block has a speed of .5 m/s when it slides along the horizontal surface and .5 m/s when it is climbing the incline.
emeraldempres
A 2.00-kg block is pushed against a spring with negligible mass and force constant k = 400 N/m, compressing it 0.220 m. When the block is released, it moves along a frictionless, horizontal surface and then up a frictionless incline with slope of 37 degrees.
a) What is the speed of the block as it slides along the horizontal surface after having left the spring?
b)How far does the block travel up the incline before starting to slide back down?

on part a i tried using the equation final velocity^2= initial velocity^2 +2*acceleration*distance, but i am getting no where. I really can't do b without finding the speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram. Then, use conservation of mechanical energy.

That kinematic equation only works for cases of constant acceleration, but that doesn't apply here since the spring force (and thus corresponding acceleration of the block) is not constant.

Luckily, something is conserved that makes finding the speed of the block after it leaves the spring easy to calculate. What is conserved?

the mass and energy?

emeraldempres said:
the mass and energy?
Yes. Energy conservation is what you want to use here. What's the energy stored in a compressed spring?

elastic potential energy which is .5kx^2 ?

emeraldempres said:
elastic potential energy which is .5kx^2 ?
Exactly. That's the total mechanical energy of the system.

couldnt we just break the problem up into 2 sections, one where the block is compressed and then released and the other when the block is climbing the inclined plane? maybe you guys were already thinking this and I am just being redundant.

its been a semester since my last physics class and i thought id just do this for fun so when i solved for height, is that the height from the ground, or is that the length it climbs on the angled part of the inclined plane?

for the first half i just did (elastic potential)=(kinetic energy final)

and on the second i did (kinetic energy initial [the initial from the first half])=(gravitational potential final)

tron_2.0 said:
couldnt we just break the problem up into 2 sections, one where the block is compressed and then released and the other when the block is climbing the inclined plane? maybe you guys were already thinking this and I am just being redundant.

its been a semester since my last physics class and i thought id just do this for fun so when i solved for height, is that the height from the ground, or is that the length it climbs on the angled part of the inclined plane?

for the first half i just did (elastic potential)=(kinetic energy final)

and on the second i did (kinetic energy initial [the initial from the first half])=(gravitational potential final)

For part (b), how far it goes up would be the distance that the block travel before momentarily coming to rest, let's call s.

(1) [tex]E_{mech,i}=U_{spring,i}+U_{g,i}+K_{i}[/tex]
(2) [tex]E_{mech,f}=U_{spring,f}+U_{g,f}+K_{f}[/tex]Four terms in equations (1) and (2) will be equal to zero(one of which is the initial kinetic energy [tex]K_{i}[/tex]) since the only forces that do work are the force exerted by the spring and the force of gravity. Then you are able to solve for h, the distance in height. To solve for the distance s(in terms of h), you can use trig since you are giving the angle.

Last edited:

1. What is a spring force?

A spring force is the force exerted by a compressed or stretched spring, resulting from its elasticity. It is a type of contact force that acts perpendicular to the surface of the spring.

2. How is the spring force calculated?

The spring force can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The formula for spring force is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. What affects the speed of a block attached to a spring?

The speed of a block attached to a spring is affected by various factors, including the initial displacement of the spring, the spring constant, and the mass of the block. The greater the initial displacement and spring constant, and the smaller the mass of the block, the faster the block will move.

4. How does the spring force affect the speed of a block?

The spring force plays a crucial role in determining the speed of a block attached to a spring. As the spring is compressed or stretched, it exerts a force on the block, causing it to accelerate. The greater the spring force, the greater the acceleration, and thus the faster the block will move.

5. How does changing the spring constant affect the speed of a block?

The spring constant directly affects the speed of a block attached to a spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which results in a greater spring force and thus a higher speed for the block. Conversely, a lower spring constant means a less stiff spring, resulting in a lower spring force and slower speed for the block.