Unknown Port Forwards: What is MsnMsgr?

• Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date
In summary, MsnMsgr is a port forwarding service used for Microsoft Messenger. It may show up as an unknown port forward if not specifically set up. It is generally considered safe and can be removed through router settings. While it can be used without port forwarding, it may have better performance with it.
Oerg
Hi

I have a weird problem recently, I just realized that someone or something (more like something) is opening up ports under a text string "MsnMsgr". Whenever I tried removing these port forwards, they keep coming back. Any idea what is happening?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Oerg said:
Hi

I have a weird problem recently, I just realized that someone or something (more like something) is opening up ports under a text string "MsnMsgr". Whenever I tried removing these port forwards, they keep coming back. Any idea what is happening?

Change the password on your router.

I can offer a possible explanation for this phenomenon. "MsnMsgr" is most likely referring to the Microsoft Messenger software, also known as MSN Messenger. This software is used for instant messaging and file sharing, and it is possible that someone or something is using your network to access this service. It is also possible that there is a bug or malware on your system that is creating these port forwards without your knowledge. I would recommend running a thorough virus and malware scan on your system to ensure it is not compromised. Additionally, you may want to check your network settings and security measures to prevent unauthorized access.

1. What is MsnMsgr?

MsnMsgr is a port forwarding service that is commonly used for Microsoft Messenger, also known as MSN Messenger. It is used for instant messaging and file sharing between users.

2. Why is MsnMsgr showing up as an unknown port forward?

MsnMsgr may show up as an unknown port forward if you have not specifically set up port forwarding for it on your network. This is not necessarily a cause for concern, as many programs and services use different ports for communication.

3. Is MsnMsgr safe to have as a port forward?

Yes, MsnMsgr is generally considered safe as it is a commonly used program and is developed by Microsoft. However, it is always a good idea to regularly check your port forwards and make sure they are still necessary.

4. How can I remove MsnMsgr as a port forward?

If you no longer use MsnMsgr or do not want it as a port forward, you can remove it by accessing your router's settings and deleting the port forward rule associated with it. This will prevent any incoming traffic on that port from reaching your network.

5. Can I use MsnMsgr without port forwarding?

Yes, you can still use MsnMsgr without port forwarding. However, you may experience connection issues or slower speeds if you are behind a firewall. Port forwarding can help improve the performance of the program.