Is Double Majoring Worth It for Undergraduate Math and Statistics Students?

In summary, the decision of whether or not to pursue a double major depends on the individual's interests. If the individual is interested in both mathematics and statistics, then a double major may be the best option. However, if the individual only focuses on one of the fields, then a major/minor may be a better option.
numb3rspunk
I am an undergraduate pursuing a double major in mathematics and statistics. I am planning to go to graduate school to get a phd in mathematics. Well i got to thinking and i was wondering if double majoring is the right decision or if i should just major in math and minor in stats. If i double major, my statistics degree could lead to more job opportunities if i can't cut it out in graduate school. It will take a few more classes and money but it could be worth it. But then again it could be useless because I am planning, and will do graduate school for math. If i only major in math and minor in stats then i can take a few extra math courses in preparation of graduate school which might be more useful in the long run then a double major. So I am stuck in a predicament and I am wondering what you guys think.. double major or major/minor. Please explain your opinions, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
really could use some advice on this

help? my decision affects my choosing of classes which i need to do soon

anyone?

I think you should pick the courses according to your interests.

Even in the end you want to apply for graduate school in maths, the stats can open doors after graduation, and also the courses which you'll not get in UG you could learn them in Graduate years.

It really depends do you see some maths courses which look interesting than the stats which overlap in the hours?
If so you should decide by your own do you prefer to take it after graduation or before, no one can decide for you obviously.

i would rather take extra math classes but double majoring might be more beneficial.. so i just want your opinions on what's the smarter choice

Well as you noted, it's a gamble. It's hard to say, really.

yea i know.. anymore opinions?

Well as I said if you already planning on applying to maths Graduate, then perhaps you should take more stats courses, the courses which you'll miss for grad school in maths could be taken by you in those years.
If your'e not sure your'e going to grad school, then also more stats will open for you choices in the industry.

So I think the more stats is a good idea, and that is ofcourse if money overshadows your academic interests.

well i wasnt planning on taking graduate courses as my extra math courses. i was either going to take some applied math courses to expose myself to them or take stats courses to double major. so I am still not sure.

The safe choice is stats (provided you actually like stats, of not, forget it completely). By taking the double major, you're really not losing out on much. All those applied math courses you're pondering about thinking will still be there once you get to grad school. There's really no rush in learning everything you possibly can, especially in a case like this where it really won't affect your grad school application.

Worse case scenario with taking stats is that you spend an extra semester in grad school taking some courses. Worse case scenario with taking applied math courses is that you don't have a job.

I've thought about this dilema myself. Do I maj/minor to focus more on major, or duel major to open more oppurtunities. I'd say duel personally. Here's my reasoning why. You have more options out of school in terms of job location if you do not continue your grad school immediantly. You will also be more competitive in your application to your grad school, having an upper hand on the other students applying to the grad school. Exposing yourself to another type of mathematics may help you in the long run - different ways of thinking and reason, which may reinforce other subject matter. Yes you could maj/minor to take courses to prepair for your graduate school, but to what gain? I'd say duel major, and when you get to grad study more! Yes you can be more prepaired, but as long as you're willing to spend the time to study you won't need to.
Hope it helps

haha i guess everyone is for the double major

1. What is a double major?

A double major is when a student chooses to pursue two undergraduate majors simultaneously. This means that the student will complete all of the requirements for both majors and will receive two separate degrees upon graduation.

2. What is the difference between a double major and a major/minor?

A double major involves completing all the requirements for two separate majors and receiving two degrees, whereas a major/minor involves completing the requirements for a major and a minor, and only receiving one degree.

3. How do I choose which option is right for me?

This decision should be based on your academic interests, career goals, and the requirements of each major or minor. It's important to speak with your academic advisor to determine the best path for you.

4. Will a double major or major/minor make me more competitive in the job market?

Having a double major or major/minor can certainly make you stand out to potential employers, as it shows that you have a diverse skill set and the ability to juggle multiple responsibilities. However, it ultimately depends on the specific job and industry you are pursuing.

5. Is it more difficult to graduate with a double major or major/minor?

It can be more challenging to graduate with a double major or major/minor, as it requires completing more coursework and potentially managing a heavier course load. It's important to carefully plan and manage your time in order to successfully graduate with multiple majors or a major/minor combination.