View Windows on a Combustion Chamber

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of quartz windows on a 304 stainless steel combustion chamber. The coefficients of thermal expansion are being considered, as well as the shape of the windows. One person suggests using an O-ring for a flexible seal between the window and frame. The chamber is being used to simulate a jet engine and test different fuels for emissions reduction, with plans to use a schlieren system for flow visualization. The main focus is on setting up the windows for the experiment.
smesparza
Does anyone have view windows which they installed on their combustion chamber?
My team and I are going to install quartz windows on 304 stainless steel, and so far the coefficients of thermal expansion look really different. We are also debating on the shape of the windows.

Any hints would be great!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What sort of combustion chamber? I've got a glass door on my oven, but making a perspex cylinder head for an engine is a different kettle of fish.

smesparza said:
My team and I are going to install quartz windows on 304 stainless steel, and so far the coefficients of thermal expansion look really different.
Just a thought, but thermal expansion only matters if the window is fixed/bolted so it can't move separately from the stainless frame. Having an O-ring or similar seal between the two would allow for small differences in the thermal contraction rates as long as you don't try and fix the window by bolting. In other words, bolt them together with just enough force to get the right compression on your gasket and allow the window (or stainless frame) some movement.

Hello! Thanks for your replies!

Our chamber is supposed to simulate a jet engine but at really low speeds.
We combust kerosene inside, but we have tested other fuels like ethanol, methanol, and other biodiesels.
The main purpose is to see how we can decrease the emissions by different methods, and we plan to use a schlieren system to visualize the flow, but we need to get the windows set up.

What is a View Windows on a Combustion Chamber?

View Windows on a Combustion Chamber are transparent openings in the walls of a combustion chamber that allow for visual inspection of the combustion process.

Why are View Windows important in a Combustion Chamber?

View Windows allow scientists to observe the combustion process and gather data on temperature, flame shape, and other important factors that can affect the efficiency and emissions of the combustion chamber.

How are View Windows made in a Combustion Chamber?

View Windows are typically made from a high temperature resistant material such as quartz or ceramic. They are then inserted into the walls of the combustion chamber and sealed to prevent any leaks.

What are the benefits of using View Windows in a Combustion Chamber?

View Windows provide a non-intrusive way to monitor the combustion process and make adjustments to improve efficiency and reduce emissions. They also allow for real-time observation, which can be helpful in troubleshooting or testing new designs.

What are some challenges of using View Windows in a Combustion Chamber?

View Windows can be subject to high temperatures and thermal stresses, which can cause them to crack or fail. They also require regular cleaning and maintenance to ensure clear visibility and accuracy of data collected.