Problems with a motor cycle battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a specific type of battery for a lawn mower that needs to be placed on its side. The person is inquiring about whether a sealed gel battery is necessary or if their refillable battery can be used on its side.
heathers
Hi,
Apologies in advance if this is not an academic enough question for you,
I have a lawn mower that needs a motorcycle battery to start it.
The battery has to sit flat on its side.
The battery I have bought has a vent on the side and when I leave it on its side the battery acid leaks out.(Not good)
I am guessing that I need a sealed gel type battery if it needs to sit on side rather than one I fill up with electrolyte...or should I be able to use my refillable battery on its side?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want a sealed/gel battery
Even if you fixed the vent, the plates inside a liquid battery are designed to have the liquid in the bottom.

I would suggest using a sealed gel type battery for your lawn mower instead of a refillable battery. Sealed gel batteries are designed to be used in any position, including on their side, without leaking. This type of battery uses a gel electrolyte instead of liquid, making it less likely to leak or spill. Additionally, the gel electrolyte is less susceptible to evaporation, which can cause a decrease in battery performance over time. Using a refillable battery on its side may also cause damage to the internal components and shorten its lifespan. It is important to always use the appropriate type of battery for your specific equipment to ensure optimal performance and safety.

1. How do I know if my motor cycle battery is dead?

If your motor cycle battery is dead, your motor cycle will not start and you may also notice dim or flickering lights. You can also check the voltage of your battery with a voltmeter to determine if it is dead.

2. What are the main causes of motor cycle battery problems?

The main causes of motor cycle battery problems are overcharging, undercharging, sulfation, and old age. Overcharging can damage the battery's plates, while undercharging can cause sulfation, a buildup of lead sulfate crystals that can decrease the battery's capacity. Old age also contributes to battery problems as the battery's capacity decreases over time.

3. How can I maintain my motor cycle battery?

To maintain your motor cycle battery, make sure to keep it clean and free of corrosion, check the electrolyte levels regularly, and ensure that your battery is properly charged. You can also use a battery tender or trickle charger to keep your battery charged when it is not in use for extended periods of time.

4. How often should I replace my motor cycle battery?

The lifespan of a motor cycle battery can vary, but on average, a battery will need to be replaced every 2-3 years. Factors such as usage, maintenance, and climate can also affect the lifespan of a battery.

5. Can I jump start my motor cycle with a car battery?

No, it is not recommended to jump start a motor cycle with a car battery. Car batteries have a higher voltage and can potentially damage the motor cycle's electrical system. It is best to use a portable jump starter or have a professional mechanic assist with jump starting your motor cycle.